Forum sponsored by allandale

My Digital subscription

This is alarming

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer24/05/2018 20:50:39
2794 forum posts
563 photos

Have you tried clearing the Firefox cache as per these instructions? They also have a good description of why bad things happen when a cache gets corrupted.

Also mentioned, and new to me, is the possibility that the cache cannot be cleared because malware has infected the system. Not difficult to write malware that takes a copy of the cache and restores it after the corrupt cache is deleted by the user. You delete it, and the malware immediately puts it back!

Maybe malware is causing the original problem. Changing the referer would be a way of generating fake per click revenue, and a website might well be configured to block it.

Easy enough to run a malware checker before clearing the cache. I've found the free version of Malwarebytes effective at finding and removing nasties.

Rob Rimmer24/05/2018 20:57:44
36 forum posts
1 photos

+ 1 for the free version of Malwarebytes, also CCleaner can be handy for getting rid of stuff that sometimes resists deletion by 'ordinary' means.

Neil Wyatt24/05/2018 21:22:22
13410 forum posts
576 photos
68 articles
Posted by Raymond Berry 2 on 24/05/2018 17:08:42:

I did the check on firefox, followed the address to extensions and no flash control is there, neither true nor false.

For clarity, you need to check under options --> add ins not under extensions.

Neil

Bandersnatch25/05/2018 01:37:11
999 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Raymond Berry 2 on 24/05/2018 17:08:42:

But still when I try to access it on Firefox, I get the same error page. Firefox is my preferred browser, but at least it works using Chrome.

Latest versions of Firefox have Flash deactivated by default. You have to turn it on manually.

Fowlers Fury25/05/2018 12:43:14
197 forum posts
45 photos

As a long-term user of FF, the browser has served me well.
Of course there have been numerous pleas that Adobe Flash should be abandoned by websites due to its vulnerability. I do though have the"Shockwave Flash" plugin set to 'Ask to activate' in FF.
FF "Quantum" has the following under "Extensions":-
legacy extensions.jpg

When I look under FF "Add ons" for Flash, they appear to my ignorant view as being tailored for YouTube etc.
As the OP has used another browser as I suggested and not had a problem with access the issue has gone away for him. As before, for sites which don't display correctly I just load with Edge, which I don't like.
Anyway, I increasingly use browsers (including FF) within 'Sandboxie' which I suppose is overkill because both Edge and FF are supposed to have their own sandboxes. Nevertheless, 'Sandboxie' is reassuring and easy to use. Two clicks on 'clear default box' after browsing and everything is deleted.
**LINK**

(edit for line spacing)

Edited By Fowlers Fury on 25/05/2018 12:44:46

Neil van Zyl03/06/2018 21:31:28
2 forum posts

Hi all.

I thought I'd add some more info. It's not related to viewing back issues, but there does seem to be something odd with Firefox and this site.

I use Firefox 60.0.1 64 bit on a Win7 machine.

If I try and log in with Firefox, it keeps on telling me that my password is wrong, but if I try with a different browser it works.

Interestingly, I do not have anything about Legacy extensions under extensions in my Firefox.

Fowlers Fury03/06/2018 22:26:25
197 forum posts
45 photos

Neil,
Using FF v 60.0.1 and 64bit Win10 (with the damned 1803 update ~ but let's not go there), I have no problems loging in.
FF saves your passwords so have you deleted old ones as per Mozilla guidance:-
**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition