Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

manual to cnc

arduino not loading program

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
peter ravenscroft14/05/2018 14:55:45
82 forum posts
3 photos

hi can anyone help me i have bought an aduino and i am trying to load the program grbl as recomended by the article but all i get is copy error message

the ardiino will load other programs no problem i am wondering if anyone else has had a problem trying to load grbl

regards

peter

Michael Gilligan14/05/2018 15:27:47
12784 forum posts
554 photos

Hello, Peter

Is it a 'genuine' arduino or one of the many 'clones' ?

One of the variations seems to be the use of a different [presumably a little cheaper] USB chip.

... You may need to install the appropriate driver. ... CH340G instead of FTDI

MichaelG.

Edit: But it does seem odd that you can load other programs dont know

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 14/05/2018 15:49:26

peter ravenscroft14/05/2018 17:46:56
82 forum posts
3 photos

i already have the driver i do not think it is the driver as it will load other programs i have used several arduino units the last on being a dividing head which works ok

thanks for your help

regards

peter

Michael Gilligan14/05/2018 17:57:45
12784 forum posts
554 photos

Sorry, Peter ... I'm out of ideas

Over to the experts >>>

MichaelG.

Muzzer14/05/2018 19:20:28
2904 forum posts
448 photos

You might be better off asking on the GRBL or Arduino etc forums. Sounds like a specific issue that somebody may have come up against before or at least understand the problem.

Murray

John Haine14/05/2018 19:35:12
2420 forum posts
132 photos

Just a thought - if you are converting a manual m/c tool to cnc, it might help to reduce the number of variables if you went for Mach 3, which has a wide user community?

SillyOldDuffer14/05/2018 20:51:56
3997 forum posts
810 photos

It seems grbl has a slightly unusual install mechanism : if I read it correctly, the source files are loaded into a project folder in the usual way from zip, but are then compiled via grblupload in the examples folder, not directly.

Are you following the instructions here? Judging by the comments it is important to follow the instructions exactly. Which model Arduino and what's the error message?

I'll try it myself in a moment and see how I get on!

SillyOldDuffer14/05/2018 21:28:55
3997 forum posts
810 photos

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/05/2018 20:51:56:

Not very well! I've hit a different problem entirely and need to switch to a different laptop. Why is nothing ever easy? Perhaps tomorrow...

Raglan Littlejohn14/05/2018 22:04:16
30 forum posts
21 photos

I loaded grbl onto an Arduino a couple of years ago. I used the instructions from NYCNC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioctbN9JV8.

John Alexander Stewart14/05/2018 22:11:39
744 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by John Haine on 14/05/2018 19:35:12:

Just a thought - if you are converting a manual m/c tool to cnc, it might help to reduce the number of variables if you went for Mach 3, which has a wide user community?

John;

This is my impressions of following this for a while.

I'd expect GRBL to have 10x to 100x the user community of Mach 3.

You can run it on those 3D printer boards, (it does not do extruders, unless it's been updated) so if you want a small CNC machine, it's ideal.

I gave away my Unimat CNC machine, and suggested that the user try GRBL for it, rather than go for high priced hardware, required for Mach 3 and LinuxCNC. (what's a 3D printer board worth? A pint of beer? less, if you get it from a defunct printer, I'd expect)

JohnS.

SillyOldDuffer14/05/2018 22:31:11
3997 forum posts
810 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/05/2018 21:28:55:

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/05/2018 20:51:56:

Not very well! I've hit a different problem entirely and need to switch to a different laptop. Why is nothing ever easy? Perhaps tomorrow...

Or perhaps tonight.

Took me no more than 5 minutes to download the zip from git to my Windows 10 laptop and install it as an Arduino library following the instructions I linked to above and to flash it on to a real Arduino Uno R3. I have Arduino IDE v1.8.4.

So it does work. I had trouble doing the same thing earlier with Ubuntu because the zip package fails validation as a library and breaks the install. (This is a known Issue, and you don't get as far as bening allowed to compile anything, so probably not Peter's problem.)

Any other clues Peter?

Dave

peter ravenscroft15/05/2018 18:55:55
82 forum posts
3 photos

hello all

many thanks for your advice i should have taken silly old duffer's advice you have to read it very carefully i got there eventualy

it is very arkward to say the least will let you know how i got on

regards

peter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest