LED strip lighting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Rand23/04/2018 20:49:10
433 forum posts

Just a couple of points:-

Supply voltage across the rest of the EU is 230V, not 220V

Power is I^2.R, not I^2/R

Resistive power loss in distribution is proportional to the square of the current, so 19%, not 9%.

The US 220V supply is single phase centre tapped, not two phase (two phase has been used in both the US and UK, but it needs the same number of cables for less power so it isn't used anymore except for a very small number of locations)

OK, four points

Edited By Mark Rand on 23/04/2018 20:59:10

Mike Poole23/04/2018 21:11:20
1404 forum posts
41 photos

Like us the rest of the EU is 230V in reality they are 220V and we are 240V the fudge is that we say we are 230V when nobody actually is.

Mike

Nealeb24/04/2018 19:42:37
26 forum posts

I've just replaced a few very old fluorescents in my garage/workshop with LED strip lighting. I went for a fairly bright (12W/metre, I think) LED strip, daylight colour, and I now have 6 2m lengths. I bought the aluminium channel made for the purpose which takes a diffuser strip - added quite a bit to the cost but gives decent heat-sinking and the diffuser seems to do its job. I'm very pleased with the result although I can't comment on LED life as it's only been up for a couple of weeks. I went for a more expensive LED strip from a UK supplier rather than a cheap Chinese version but I'm using a cheap Chinese power supply. These are pretty cheap and experience with others is that they seem to be pretty reliable. They also maintain a well-regulated output voltage over a fairly wide input range, so I don't care about mains voltage fluctuations.

I'll be back in a couple of years to tell you if they are all still working! I agree with an earlier post that LED bulbs used around the house vary a lot in reliability - more expensive branded versions have worked well but life of the cheap ones is less than the tungsten bulbs they replaced.

Wout Moerman24/04/2018 22:50:37
39 forum posts
2 photos

I'm in the Netherlands and we actually have 230 volts AC. Plus or minus 2 volts. 220 V is long ago, but I often still call it 220 and so do many others. So that might lead to the conclusion that we still have 220 volts.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition