By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

Jaguar XK8

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RMA09/04/2018 10:05:46
97 forum posts

Has anyone on here had any experience with the Jaguar XK8? Early models in particular.

Thanks

Chris Evans 609/04/2018 11:27:17
1397 forum posts

Got a mate who has had one for years (think it is on a "P" plate. What do you need to know? Jaguar drivers club is good for info.

RMA16/12/2018 09:26:15
97 forum posts

Hi Chris

Sorry for the late reply, must have overlooked your post. I don't need to know anything at the moment thank goodness. I do belong to the Jag Enthusiasts Club, but I just wondered if any member of this forum owns, or has experience with this model. Sometimes it's good to get help from practical engineers.

Dave Halford16/12/2018 10:02:45
373 forum posts
3 photos

Nikasil bores, be carefull

vintage engineer16/12/2018 10:55:01
116 forum posts

Rot boxes!

Nicholas Wheeler 116/12/2018 10:57:45
228 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Dave Halford on 16/12/2018 10:02:45:

Nikasil bores, be carefull

You're unlikely to find one that hasn't been sorted.

But the cars do rust, and they're heavy on suspension that's expensive to fix. Also, they're at the dangerous stage where people can afford to buy them but not give the open wallet maintenance that they need.

RMA16/12/2018 11:21:01
97 forum posts

Thanks for the last three comments. I was hoping to find someone on here with actual experience of the model. Nikasil bore linings were a problem for the Jag engine and BMW due to high sulphur petrol at the time. That wasn't around for long thank goodness, and there are plenty of low mileage cars that got through that unscathed. Rot, well show me a British car that didn't suffer that problem if not looked after. Suspension bushes can be a problem due to the material chosen at the time, but modern replacements are now available if required, and relatively easy to fix.

I have a 1997 XK8 convertible which has always been professionally stored over winter and has only done 30k miles with full service history and two owners! Just out of interest, this model was the largest selling Jaguar in the companies history and it's release actually saved Jaguar. Even though so many were produced, many have been scrapped due to poor maintenance, usually in the body department, thereby making good ones a future classic.

Anyway, if there are any members on here who have the experience, it would be good to make contact.

John McNamara16/12/2018 22:33:55
1288 forum posts
113 photos

Hi RMA

I have a Daimler Super V8 1999 year 130km , It runs very well. I am the second owner, mechanically it has been fine, no rust. It is a thirsty car. Nice for weekend outings. Mine does not show any underbody rust. Salt is not used on all but a few alpine roads in Australia. I know the original owner and that it has always been garaged.

The bigger issue for the V8 is the plastic! timing chain tensioners they can crack and fail causing severe engine damage. have they been done on yours? the revised units are metal.

I guess you know about the Jag forum link below using google to search XJ8 posts.

**LINK**

Regards
John

Edited By John McNamara on 16/12/2018 22:34:38

RMA17/12/2018 09:39:17
97 forum posts

Hi John.

Good to hear from you, it must be nice to have a 'salt free' road system, my car is now laid up until the Spring. Yes they are thirsty by modern standards, particularly in traffic, but mine will return 29/30 on a long run at legal speed.

The 4.0 litre V8 is a great engine, but the use of modern (at the time) materials have caused problems with the tensioners.

Thanks for the link, I've found some forums I didn't know about, and it's always possible that someone somewhere has knowledge of the same problem you are scratching your head over.

Enjoy your car now it's summer over there.

Regards

Rodney

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest