Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

Plain V belt or Cogged V belt ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
C J12/02/2018 00:21:56
66 forum posts
62 photos

I fitted a Dunlop Z42 10 x 6mm V belt to my pillar drill and swear it's causing a vibration from where the belt is joined as it has a low and regular frequency.

I see there are ZX42 cogged V belts with the same dimensions that are claimed to run smoother and be more energy efficient etc.

Has anyone tried one of these belts and know if the ZX section a direct replacement for a Z section belt ?

In the dark. sad

Hopper12/02/2018 05:44:52
2799 forum posts
44 photos

I use cogged V belts on my Myford and am very pleased with the results. Purrs along beautifully. They seem to cope with the small pulleys better than standard belts.

Nick Hulme12/02/2018 15:48:53
542 forum posts
26 photos

There is less distortion of the rubber required to get around a given radius so less conversion of energy to heat, whilst still maintaining grip and drive to the same depth as a standard belt. This type of belt was used in automotive applications prior to the adoption of Poly Vee for smoother running and less power loss.

Ian S C13/02/2018 11:29:09
6909 forum posts
224 photos

The notched V belt is second only to the link type belt for smoothness as V belts go.

Ian S C

Alistair Robertson 113/02/2018 12:34:31
13 forum posts

We had an old american Gisholt capstan lathe that used 6 B-section belts. The tensioner ran on the back of the belt and after 6 months the belts started breaking up. It took about 6 hours to change out and was not a cheap operation.

We found a bit of paper stuffed in the cover from a fitter in Cleveland, Ohio that showed he had been replacing belts every six months as well! There was still a plate on the headstock that said "This Machine Conforms to Orders of The War Production Board"

We replaced the belts with notched belts and when the company was sold seven years later the belts were as good as new.

I recently bought a Warco pillar drill and it suffered from a lot of vibration when running. Replacing both belts with good quality notched belts transformed the drill, a totally different machine and a pleasure to use!

C J13/02/2018 13:19:01
66 forum posts
62 photos

Ian S C, The pulley grooves on my Meddings Driltrue are not that deep so I think a link type of belt might bottom in them, which I don't want to happen, but I take you're word for the smoothness.

Alistair, I have already ordered a cogged V belt for my drill and if it eliminates the vibration I will get one for my milling machine as that also suffers from a vibration on high speeds which I got around by putting the belt on a lower speed and adjusting the overall speed with my electronic drive.

C J13/02/2018 13:32:21
66 forum posts
62 photos

This same subject on practiclemachinist.com  **LINK**

Edited By C J on 13/02/2018 13:33:42

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition