Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

ajustable vee belt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
geoff adams12/01/2018 14:55:24
77 forum posts
61 photos

can anyone tell me what the right name is for the vee belt you can remove links or add links to save having to remove the head stock spindle on a lathe to replace the belt (had some years ago don't know where it went) and where to get it from ebay?

thanks Geoff

John C12/01/2018 15:00:28
236 forum posts
83 photos

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=link%20belt&PN=1-Metre-Link-V-Belting--A-Section--643635%2ehtml#SID=581

Ian Parkin12/01/2018 15:01:06
547 forum posts
149 photos

Sometimes called Brahmer belting i may have spelling wrong though

Ian Parkin12/01/2018 15:02:20
547 forum posts
149 photos

Or nutlink belting

Howard Lewis12/01/2018 15:02:48
1186 forum posts

Goes under various trade names, Brammer, T Link etc. Try searching "Link Belting" on Google.

Just make sure that you are sure of section, (A, B, Z etc) before you order.

On mainland U K there should be a stockist somewhere near, (Brammer, or a supplier of bearings etc)

Howard

John Haine12/01/2018 15:26:01
1944 forum posts
110 photos

Link belt. I have used this on both my S7 and VMB and can highly recommend it.

HOWEVER - I have to say that the first lot I bought, from RDG, the black variety, was not very satisfactory being very stretchy and despite being described as suitable for Myford, wasn't! Check carefully what the width of the pulley groove is on your machine - my S7 large-bore needed Z section not A section IIRC.

I ended up buying this product from RS, which was 4x the price but works well. They also have A section but costs more. Compared with dismantling the headstock to replace the Vee belts I found the cost OK, but really bought it to get smoother drive.

BDH12/01/2018 15:38:00
752 forum posts
66 photos

Good quality link belt is also available from www.lathes.co.uk. Usual disclaimer.

Brian

geoff adams12/01/2018 16:10:11
77 forum posts
61 photos

thanks everyone for your replies know where to look now

Geoff

Vic12/01/2018 16:40:49
1628 forum posts
9 photos

When I first got my Warco VMC mill it was quite noisy but I quickly noticed the belt was very poorly made so I bought a new one for a few quid at Halfords. This solved the noise problem but I often wonder how good the link belts are as they’re supposed to be quite quiet?

martin perman12/01/2018 18:09:03
1216 forum posts
57 photos
Fenner make it.

Martin P
Andrew Moyes 112/01/2018 18:16:18
88 forum posts
14 photos
John (Haine)
May I ask, are you able to get your link belt on and off the largest pulley of your big-bore S7 without having to grind a pocket in the headstock casting? Thanks

Andrew M
Mark Rand12/01/2018 22:22:13
389 forum posts

I really don't understand why people thing that link belts give a smoother drive thanconvenrional V belts. They don't, in just the same way that a 20W LED tube doesn't give out more light than a 40W Fluorescent tube.

Both appear to be an improvement when replacing an old clapped out product, but they are not as smooth/bright as that clapped out product was when it was new.

And yes, I have tried brammer Nu-T link belting on an ML7. Most unimpressed.

As to not wanting to remove the mandrel of an S7 to change the belt. It's an opportunity to inspect the condition of the bearings, just as it is on my ML7 and Hardinge HLV.

Bah Humbug.cheeky

Mick Henshall12/01/2018 22:35:47
404 forum posts
22 photos

I use link belts on all my machines, yes they do stretch but that is an easy fix, all bought from RDG just a satisfied customer

Mick

Edited By Mick Henshall on 12/01/2018 22:36:26

Muzzer12/01/2018 22:51:31
2753 forum posts
441 photos

Bearingboys stock the Nu-T-Link belt. I've no experience of this product but their service for bearings has been good for me.

Murray

StephenS17/01/2018 22:39:20
28 forum posts

www.lathspares.co.uk have Fenner link belting specifically for Myford lathes if that is what you are looking for it for.

StephenS17/01/2018 22:40:08
28 forum posts

Has anyone used this Fenner link belting and have any comments on it ?

Thanks.

Michael-w17/01/2018 22:44:56
2018 forum posts
49 photos

It really isn't that hard to measure up the distances and get a decent rubber belt. It will be made to a much nicer quality than any of the "adjustable" variety.

Michael W

Roderick Jenkins17/01/2018 22:51:07
1584 forum posts
401 photos

The old original belt on my S7 started turning itself inside out so I replaced it with the pink Fenner Powertwist. 2 minute job to replace the belt and it works a treat. I've had the belt in stock for a couple of years waiting for the old belt to give up so I can't remember where I purchased it, probably Simply Bearings. I have tried the plastic link belt from RDG on my milling machine and was unimpressed.

Rod

not done it yet17/01/2018 23:14:18
1873 forum posts
11 photos

The link belt on my compressor has been on for well over thirty years, so can’t complain on that score. I would have used linked belts for my lathe a couple of years year ago, but the spindle was out, so normal V belts were the cheap option and they would see me out.

I think one can perhaps fare better if running a single solid belt rather than a linked belt but my lathe had twin belts so no worries about fluctuating spindle speeds.

Now I have changed my model, if it were to need new belts, they would be the linked variety - unless the spindle had to be removed at the time.

Hopper18/01/2018 02:54:12
2649 forum posts
41 photos

Another good alternative to conventional V belt is the cogged V-belt, see pic. Grips better than a standard V belt but uses the standard pulleys, bends easily around the standard small pulleys used on Myfords etc and does not need as much belt tension to get good grip, so gentle on bearings. Of course, spindle must be removed for installation. My son and I recently fitted these to the ML7, both headstock and motor belts, and they run very smoothly indeed.

cogbelt.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition