Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

What did you do Today 2018

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mechman4812/06/2018 23:23:17
2014 forum posts
341 photos

Decided to modify my vice handle on my WM 16 mill ; it always caught on the 'X' slide handle wherever I put the vice so I chopped approx' 35 mm of its length, re-drilled & tapped for 8mm handle, now I can have the vice anywhere on the table without having it catch the 'X' slide hand wheel.

George.

Ron Laden13/06/2018 05:59:28
240 forum posts
33 photos

Thanks Brian and Ian, yes I will report back on the new lathe and let you know what I find straight out of the box..

From all I,ve read and the videos I,ve watched on youtube, mini lathes seem to be a bit of a mixed bag. It would seem that you can be lucky and the lathe will need very little adjustment or setting up whilst others need quite a lot of work to get the machine to its best.

I am quite prepared for slides out of adjustment, backlash and chuck run out etc, actually these are things I am quite looking forward to, setting up will help me get to know the machine. Obviously it would be nice to plug the lathe in and off you go but I suspect it wont be quite like that.

Nige13/06/2018 08:21:08
359 forum posts
64 photos

Good luck Ron😀 You and I are in similar positions being beginners with new lathes and this is a fantastic place to ask for help, some really nice people live here 😊

Nige

Ady113/06/2018 09:38:04
3246 forum posts
423 photos

With a brand new lathe and a brand new lathe user I strongly recommend you slacken the drive belt for the first 6 months of use

Bashed knuckles and saddles crashing into chucks have a high probability, a loose belt reduces the effect of any disasters

In bygone years I doubt that any production factory would let the new apprentices anywhere near a brand new lathe

Ron Laden13/06/2018 10:03:37
240 forum posts
33 photos
Posted by Ady1 on 13/06/2018 09:38:04:

With a brand new lathe and a brand new lathe user I strongly recommend you slacken the drive belt for the first 6 months of use

Bashed knuckles and saddles crashing into chucks have a high probability, a loose belt reduces the effect of any disasters

In bygone years I doubt that any production factory would let the new apprentices anywhere near a brand new lathe

Well, I,m not strictly a brand new lathe user, its many moons ago but we had a small Myford in the fitting shot where I worked. We would use it now and then but it was very basic stuff i.e. shorten a spacer, open up a hole, a bit of tapping and reaming. One thing is for sure I am certainly no machinist so a beginner in that sense.

Edited By Ron Laden on 13/06/2018 10:04:55

Ady113/06/2018 11:28:26
3246 forum posts
423 photos

I stand corrected, good luck Ron

Martin Kyte13/06/2018 11:36:32
1298 forum posts
9 photos

The late George Thomas wrote that he always ran his Myford with the belts on the slack side and no-one could say he was a beginner.

regards Martin

Neil Wyatt13/06/2018 15:56:21
13829 forum posts
583 photos
68 articles

Don't slacken the drive belt on a mini lathe, it has a toothed belt on a nylon motor pulley. Run it slack and the pulley will slip with an awful sound and wear rapidly.

Tip - when the pulley teeth wear, you can turn it round for a new lease of life.

Neil

mick7014/06/2018 07:56:06
521 forum posts
38 photos

little project me and my 10 yr old been working on.

need to make some custom length spokes for a bike project, already got threading head as used to use it in lathe.

but as lathe in storage at min had to find another way.

took old crank and bottom bracket from bike we cut up for parts along with crank arm and a center stripped from old pedal.

and made tool works great, next stage is make die holder for it for small work.

might also weld to box section then can clamp it down to any surface.

total cost excluding head was £0 as all from scrap pile.

Edited By mick70 on 14/06/2018 07:58:49

Neil Wyatt14/06/2018 08:51:22
13829 forum posts
583 photos
68 articles

Did you write the article on spoke threading that appeared in ME?

Neil

mick7014/06/2018 09:52:23
521 forum posts
38 photos

not me.

i haven't written anything for publication since early 90s.

Sam Longley 114/06/2018 13:47:32
639 forum posts
24 photos

Tried threading a shortened spoke for a part on my traction engine. Getting diameter correct for a 2 mm die is difficult so may have been my fault but i do know that the die from the London Tap & Die co was as soft as " !!"forget the technical toolroom term & i never managed it.

Please update on spoke materia, diameter & die used as i have to try again when i return from my travels. I want to end up with 2mm x ( from memory) 40 tpi

As a beginner i find 40 tpi pretty awkward

Sam Longley 114/06/2018 13:48:46
639 forum posts
24 photos

Tried threading a shortened spoke for a part on my traction engine. Getting diameter correct for a 2 mm die is difficult so may have been my fault but i do know that the die from the London Tap & Die co was as soft as " !!"forget the technical toolroom term & i never managed it.

Please update on spoke materia, diameter & die used as i have to try again when i return from my travels. I want to end up with 2mm x ( from memory) 40 tpi

As a beginner i find 40 tpi pretty awkward

mick7014/06/2018 14:09:27
521 forum posts
38 photos

if i remember correctly a spoke is 2.2mm x 56 tpi.

rolling head i have works fine for bike spokes.

stripped load of 26" wheels down and i just use the spokes from them to do short one.

hard part is working out length you need.

just measured some vary from 1.89-1,96mm

Edited By mick70 on 14/06/2018 14:11:33

Ron Laden14/06/2018 17:27:17
240 forum posts
33 photos

The shed arrived today 6.00am the delivery driver set off from Lincoln for North Devon at 1.00am ...surprise talk about dedication to your job.

The minilathe also arrived teeth 2 but I resisted the temptation as I spent the day weather sealing the shed panels ready for assembly tomorrow. Well ok..maybe I did open the box to have a little peep.

Ron

Joseph Noci 114/06/2018 17:48:23
314 forum posts
626 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/06/2018 08:51:22:

Neil

Speaking of articles..What happened to my purported Shaper story, Neil?

Joe

Windy15/06/2018 15:24:55
664 forum posts
191 photos

1990 Renault passed mot an advisory but have all the bits was pleased emissions OK was well below CO and HC.
Have used premium petrol for a while things seem to run better on that.
Got steamer liner bored and honed last night so have to finish internals of the piston today then sort timings of exhaust ports in liner.
If I don’t get any hold ups might be able to test basic engine on compressed air before sorting fuel and water pumps at end of July.

Husband and Wife speed friends have donate a motorcycle for my project would save a lot of work if suitable a lot depends if room for the bits.

Helen would like to pilot it she was doing 152mph on one of there bikes at last Elvington on Tuesday will be riding Hubbies 180mph plus Generation 1 Hayabusa at Elvington again.

Makes an interesting life having friends like them.

No automatic alt text available.
No automatic alt text available.
Neil Wyatt15/06/2018 17:28:55
13829 forum posts
583 photos
68 articles
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 14/06/2018 17:48:23:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/06/2018 08:51:22:

Neil

Speaking of articles..What happened to my purported Shaper story, Neil?

Joe

Hello Joe,

No forgotten! I got it in October '17, but I have some contributions from January '17*. I don't use contributions in strict rotation as I try to balance each article in terms of authors, content and article length/style but as a longer article it will be a little while yet, I'm, afraid.

Neil

*The queue is a lot shorter and fairer than it was...

Ron Laden15/06/2018 18:49:52
240 forum posts
33 photos

Well its been a long hard day, started at 6.00am but the shed is almost built apart from fitting the door. I have built many a shed single handed over the years but this will certainly be the last one, I think its time to realise that I,m not as young as I was, I,m knackered.

Now to fit the shed out: a second layer of 12mm ply flooring screwed through to the bearers, the floor they supply is no where near strong enough, it never is. Polystyrene insulation, benches and electrics then I can move in.

Ron

martin perman15/06/2018 20:41:29
1251 forum posts
57 photos

Today I took two engines to Bolnhurst vintage rally, which is local to me, and set them up ready for the weekend.

Martin P

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Shapiro
Warco
Sarik
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition