Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

What did you do Today 2018

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Muzzer22/05/2018 18:14:28
2725 forum posts
439 photos

Interesting Lidar stuff, David. I've no experience of it myself but how does Autodesk Recap compare with the tool you used? Looks as if it can do similar things and possibly more besides? Claims to work with Lidar data as well as photographs.

Looking forward to seeing the build videos!

Murray

David Cambridge22/05/2018 19:55:59
244 forum posts
68 photos

Muzzer. I did take a look at the Autodesk solution and in fact there are quite a few tools out there for rendering point clouds. But, the truth of the matter is that I was eager to get results quite quickly and any of the “off the shelf” tools would require me to digest and understand the necessary file formats. That seemed like a rather dull task! Luckily, as I know the Unity game engine I figured it would be quicker to put something together myself and build my own rendering tool. In the end, that aspect of the project only took a few hours.

ChrisH22/05/2018 22:05:44
757 forum posts
12 photos

Murray - you are of course correct, I did mean deg.F not deg.C - been brainwashed by these new fangled units into quoting in C while still thinking in F. Things were much simpler when we dealt in real money. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

But it's still damn impressive don't you think?

Chris

Muzzer22/05/2018 22:13:38
2725 forum posts
439 photos

Haha yes, if they can pounce on the scouts and suffocate / bake them before they report back, they stand a chance. Interesting how they learned how to do it - evolution / selection perhaps?

Murray

Lathejack23/05/2018 20:11:58
209 forum posts
263 photos

I've been doing a little more restoration of the full size Burrell Showmans Engine. After drilling through the centre of the flywheels six inch long key, then using the Oxy/Acetylene torch to burn it away, the four feet diameter flywheel was finally separated from the crankshaft.image.jpg

..................The crank was then mounted on our large old lathe, the worn and scored main bearing surfaces were then skimmed and polished up. While in the lathe all the old paint and rust was removed, it's amazing what dirt and filth some people will paint over.image.jpgimage.jpg

....................The 78mm big end journal was in a bad state, badly scored and worn barrel shaped with a diameter measuring 1.3mm larger in the middle than the sides. It had also worn into the large radius in each corner. It could not be set up in this lathe to machine the crankpin, so I was all set to crate it up and have it sent away for regrinding. But in the end I decided to have a go at it with the crank mounted as shown.image.jpg.

....................After several hours work using hand tools and strips of abrasive tape the big end was restored to a smooth, parallel and round journal, quite tricky when rotating with a 12 inch stroke.image.jpg

martin perman23/05/2018 20:49:47
1197 forum posts
56 photos

Lathejack,

May I ask the name of the engine.

Martin P

Neil Wyatt23/05/2018 20:55:46
13410 forum posts
576 photos
68 articles

Well done , Lathejack.

I wouldn't fancy getting hit on the chin by that crank!

Roderick Jenkins23/05/2018 21:11:31
1568 forum posts
400 photos

I spent all day trying to get my PC working after the the W10 April Update last night. Completely useless this morning, just a black screen with no icons. Seems that the problem is a conflict with AVG (I seem to remember having an issue with AVG when I first installed the W7 to W10 upgrade). I followed the advice here and eventually it all seems to work again. My advice is: If you use AVG as your antivirus then remove it before the update.

Does anybody have a good free alternative to AVG?

Sheesh,

Rod

martin perman23/05/2018 21:16:20
1197 forum posts
56 photos

Rod,

I use Avast and have no issues with any W10 updates.

Martin P

Roderick Jenkins23/05/2018 21:38:14
1568 forum posts
400 photos

Martin,

Interesting: According to my link above Avast is the major culprit. I've had all the W10 updates up 'til now with no problems but this April update is a major thing - takes several hours to install.

Cheers,

Rod

Lathejack23/05/2018 22:35:58
209 forum posts
263 photos
Posted by martin perman on 23/05/2018 20:49:47:

Lathejack,

May I ask the name of the engine.

Martin P

Martin.

The engine was partly dismantled before I started on it. The canopy and all cladding was removed and stored away, so I haven't seen a name plate for it, I will try and find out when I return to work.

Another chap has been in to work on the boiler, and stripped out all the old fire tubes.image.jpg.

..................The engine, complete with temporary rear axle, was then towed across the works to have the boiler flushed out with the jet wash.image.jpg

Mark Rand23/05/2018 22:36:11
362 forum posts

I'm using ClamWin for two reasons.

1) I use it on the linux web/mail/ftp/firewall servers

2) The main two machines I use are running winders server (2008 R2 and 2012) and the likes of Avast, AVG etc. are expensive for the winders server platform.

Used to use Avast after the company stopped allowing employees to legally use the corporate Sophos license* and never had problems at the time. Clam hasn't caused problems either.

*I was in the IT dept. We had a policy, before we were taken over by another company, that we'd rather our users were protected against viruses than have them bring infected floppies into work or dial in with an infected machine.

Edited By Mark Rand on 23/05/2018 22:36:50

Mark Rand23/05/2018 22:39:47
362 forum posts
Posted by Lathejack on 23/05/2018 22:35:58:

..................The engine, complete with temporary rear axle, was then towed across the works to have the boiler flushed out with the jet wash.image.jpg

Charles Burrel rapidly rotating in his grave! wink

Muzzer23/05/2018 23:22:36
2725 forum posts
439 photos

Windows Defender is actually pretty good. None of the main AV candidates are risk free. I won't ever use Avast again after they bricked one of my sons' laptops during an "update" and simply shrugged / ignored / did the slopey shoulders. He lost the whole installation.

None of them are foolproof and the "best AV" recommendation fluctuates constantly, whether free or paid-for. From time to time you are likely to get shafted by something nasty regardless of what you run if you run enough machines, so best to plan for it so you don't get badly set back. Ironically(?), my worst experiences so far have happened when "covered" by the likes of Norton, McAfee etc.

Murray

Ady124/05/2018 02:34:08
3173 forum posts
423 photos

Did my back in a couple of weeks ago humping stuff about, even trying to shave was agony and as for putting a pair of socks on.... well it was fun. Thought I'd really done myself in this time but it picked up after a week

Nearly there now and back sorting the garage, got to get my entire life into that space now things are changing

The nailgun did the board pretty quick and the oscillating saw did the extra wood shelving

I need a lot of shelves for small heavy stuff fast and found I could treble my shelf space with wood from B+Q

You get 8 planks for 50 bananas delivered and the quality is fine, each plank creates an entire new shelf which can support 4 jaw chucks and other weighty items

They can be knocked out if the bigger space is required

Maybe I'm going to make it after all...

dscf3181.jpg

dscf3183.jpg

Robin24/05/2018 10:30:51
229 forum posts
Posted by Lathejack on 23/05/2018 22:35:58:

There would appear to be a huge piece of Meccano stuck to the front of the firebox.

I always wondered how these things were made smiley

daveb24/05/2018 11:07:58
565 forum posts
10 photos

Ady1, I know what you mean about getting socks on. When my back plays up, I have a sockless week (or month) depending on how bad it is. Sometimes it has to be a trouserless week, I don't go out much when it's that bad!

Samsaranda24/05/2018 11:24:58
384 forum posts
4 photos

Sympathy with back trouble, when mine goes, which is much less often now I regularly see a brilliant osteopath, I am usually confined to bed, excruciating pain just trying to roll over, going to the bathroom is a major exercise, gradually roll out of bed and crawl, painfully, on all fours to the bathroom. When it starts to improve the stairs can take as much as 20 minutes to negotiate, first injured my back in the Air Force when I was 20 years old, had major problems ever since. Again sympathy to anyone with back problems.

Dave W

Trevor Crossman 124/05/2018 12:43:41
77 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Muzzer on 23/05/2018 23:22:36:

Windows Defender is actually pretty good. None of the main AV candidates are risk free. I won't ever use Avast again after they bricked one of my sons' laptops during an "update" and simply shrugged / ignored / did the slopey shoulders. He lost the whole installation.

None of them are foolproof and the "best AV" recommendation fluctuates constantly, whether free or paid-for. From time to time you are likely to get shafted by something nasty regardless of what you run if you run enough machines, so best to plan for it so you don't get badly set back. Ironically(?), my worst experiences so far have happened when "covered" by the likes of Norton, McAfee etc.

Murray

+ 1 for the bog standard built in Windows Defender and all the other inbuilt security settingsyes I gave up paying for the likes of AVG, Norton and the appalling McAfee several years ago and I have never had any problem and my computer runs faster too.

Trevor.

Ian S C24/05/2018 13:04:09
6783 forum posts
224 photos

Ady1, here in NZ, and I presume in UK, you can get through your chemist shop a devise for putting socks on without having to bend over. You just thread the sock on the end, hang onto the handles, poke your toes in the end of the sock and pull.

Ian S C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition