By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Division Master (Stepper Motor Dividing)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Emgee08/02/2019 22:25:12
1019 forum posts
191 photos

Andrew, does the mill have a powered knee or did you have to crank all of those cuts ?

Emgee

Andrew Johnston09/02/2019 08:26:06
4377 forum posts
511 photos
Posted by Emgee on 08/02/2019 22:25:12:

Andrew, does the mill have a powered knee or did you have to crank all of those cuts ?

Nope, all done by hand. I actually cut six gears, four for my two engines and a mate who is building the same engine just 'happened' to have his two blanks ready at the same time. That makes 432 teeth; 12 turns down and 12 turns up for each tooth. That's a lot of handle w**king. I could do about half a gear at a time before needing tea and biscuits.

Andrew

Andy Carruthers09/02/2019 09:52:00
176 forum posts
18 photos

Counts as exercise in my book, and lovely job well done too

Mark Simpson 111/02/2019 10:18:03
63 forum posts
17 photos

Andrew: Thank you, it's really good to know that someone with more experience has cut these large gears in the same way as I intend to... Horizontal RT, lock X and Y, and wind the table up and down... (good exercise!)

Also good to know that 5 thou backlash is a reasonable figure for TE gearing, I am less worried about the absolute accuracy of the thing now, but still want to do a good job.

On the division front I think I will have to do something more than "wind the handle to a spreadsheet"

• My divisions are all awkward numbers as degrees... (76 teeth=4.737deg, 66 teeth=4.535deg, 55 = 6.455 deg
  • I work full time so I am unlikely to manage all the teeth on any gear at one sitting
  • I make mistakes and 55+66+76 is a lot of opportunity for Captain Cockup to pay a visit.

I do use my rotary table instead of a bigger lathe, so some way to drive the rotary table continuously would have additional benefits....

I've priced the stepper motor route at about £100 ( I have a suitable power supply already) and will have a go that way, building a whole division mechanism for the RT to cut 3 gears seems like too much effort

I do still like Jason's Idea to produce a large division plate and bolt it to the top of the gears then release the worm on the RT.... Easy, Cheap and I can check the accuracy of the division plate before cutting any teeth by measuring between the holes... I love a practical solution!

Many Thanks
Mark

Andrew Johnston11/02/2019 11:11:37
4377 forum posts
511 photos
Posted by Mark Simpson 1 on 11/02/2019 10:18:03:

Also good to know that 5 thou backlash is a reasonable figure for TE gearing, I am less worried about the absolute accuracy of the thing now, but still want to do a good job.

These are not precision gears. As has been stated, in fullsize the final drive gears would have been as cast, with any lumps tidied up with a hammer and cold chisel.

Andrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest