By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Division Master (Stepper Motor Dividing)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Noel Rieusset19/11/2017 10:29:09
24 forum posts
24 photos

Has anybody purchased or used a Division Master unit.

Has anybody built one from the kit.

I have a Vertex 6" dividing head I am thinking of adding one to,

I would like to hear from anybody with indexing experience using one.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

John Haine19/11/2017 11:07:58
2414 forum posts
132 photos

I haven't built the Divisionmaster but I have built this one:

There are some photos in my album.

I can't speak for the DM but the Ward one works well and was easy to build.

Gray19/11/2017 12:09:13
980 forum posts
6 photos

I built a Divisionmaster several years ago before the Ward indexer was available. The Divisionmaster is good but having built several of the Ward indexers, at significantly lower cost, I would go that route every time, both perform the function equally well.

Noel Rieusset19/11/2017 12:20:34
24 forum posts
24 photos

Thank you John and Graeme.

Very interesting.

John, I am very interested in your suggestion.

Cheers and thanks for your help

Howi19/11/2017 12:21:28
249 forum posts
15 photos

Built the ward one too! Very good, works well, easy to build and cheaper than division master. There should be some pictures in my album.

Mike Crossfield19/11/2017 12:23:38
174 forum posts
9 photos

+1 for the Ward design. A very well thought through design which is inexpensive to build and easy to use.

Mike

Michael Gilligan19/11/2017 12:51:52
12752 forum posts
552 photos

I bought one of Tony Jeffree's originals

The price is now dramatically undercut, but I have no regrets.

... A superb piece of kit.

MichaelG.

Les Jones 119/11/2017 13:01:41
2065 forum posts
141 photos

Reading this thread promopted me to have another look to see if the source code was available for Steve Ward's design. I did not find it but noticed that he has a new version of the code that now runs on a PIC18F4520 (Rather than the original PIC16F877.) I think it will be compatable with the original schematic so I will try the new code when I get time. The original PIC16F877 code was worked without any problems.

Les.

Edited By Les Jones 1 on 19/11/2017 13:02:08

Edited By Les Jones 1 on 19/11/2017 13:02:41

Noel Rieusset19/11/2017 19:44:04
24 forum posts
24 photos

Hello Les,

Thank you for that information.

It would be great if you could do that for me, I am thinking the Ward indexer is the way to go.

Cheers

Noel

Noel Rieusset19/11/2017 19:58:48
24 forum posts
24 photos

Hello Les,

Thank you for that information.

It would be great if you could do that for me, I am thinking the Ward indexer is the way to go.

Cheers

Noel

Andrew Tinsley19/11/2017 20:06:14
859 forum posts

Looking at the ward site, there seems to be the electronic (cheap even if you buy the ready built version), but little mention of the stepper motor or the attachment of said stepper to the rotary table. Or have I missed something as usual?

Andrew.

Andrew Tinsley19/11/2017 20:06:15
859 forum posts

Looking at the ward site, there seems to be the electronic (cheap even if you buy the ready built version), but little mention of the stepper motor or the attachment of said stepper to the rotary table. Or have I missed something as usual?

Andrew.

Zebethyal20/11/2017 15:20:17
181 forum posts

You are correct in stating that the Ward site only covers the electronics side of the project.

For the mechanical side, it's only really a couple of simple items to make plus some form of coupling.

I made all of the items myself from my own drawings, and I would consider myself very much in the beginner category of engineering.

Edited By Zebethyal on 20/11/2017 15:21:30

Journeyman20/11/2017 16:20:11
579 forum posts
85 photos

Have a look at this ***THREAD*** which is about Carl Wilson's article in MEW 249 describing an Arduino based rotary table stepper controller. There is a write up on my web-site that covers building it with drawings for the hardware ***Journeymans Workshop***

John

Zebethyal21/11/2017 09:24:13
181 forum posts

The Ward Controller PCB can actually be simplified, back to being more like his original design, the current version has many extra bells and whistles that not everyone actually requires.

This is a schematic of a bare bones version, the keypad part could easily be replaced with a 4x4 matrix one for £0.99 from ebay.

The only real requirements for building it are a PIC chip (free via the sample service from Microchip), A clone PicKit programmer (about £7.00) and a ZIF adapter (under £2.00) both reusable for future projects, in total less than the price of a genuine Arduino. The LCD you would need to buy for any version of the controller (£3.00) and a small perfboard costs pennies.

You would still require the following items for either version: a stepper driver - I used a PMinMO one that I built for about £5.00, a PSU (old laptop one - free) voltage regulator to supply 5V (Pulse Width Buck Converter - about £1.00) and a stepper motor that will work within the range of the stepper driver (mine cost £17.00).

Paul White 321/11/2017 11:37:05
89 forum posts
17 photos

I would like to say that the 2 postings you have made on this subject are, clear information and most helpful to anybody considering building this item.

Can you identify what the bells and whistles are to help a decision on their desirability.

Many thanks.

Paul

Zebethyal21/11/2017 12:07:30
181 forum posts

Optional features include:

• second stepper driver option
  • key beep feedback option
  • limit switch option
  • Control option - link multiple units for automatic gear cutting

The full list of what it can do is shown at World of Ward under description and features.

I chose to implement a bare bones version, as I currently have no need for the additional functionality and wanted it to be as simple as possible to implement on perfboard.

I can always build the full version later and re-use the parts for minimal additional cost - if I do decide to upgrade, I will probably buy the bare PCB from Steve Ward at £6.00 it is still pretty cheap.

SillyOldDuffer21/11/2017 13:16:19
3976 forum posts
808 photos

Another possibility (if I may bang my own drum) is my keypad operated divider. It's based on an Arduino and inspired by a comment made by John Stevenson. He disliked the nested menus of Carl's article and asked if the same could be done with a keypad? The answer is yes, and of course a numeric keypad also allows more bells and whistles.

In short, this one has the same functions as Gary Liming's original, plus:

• The ability to type in wanted angles and numbers of steps directly as numbers. (Bump, Angle, DivSteps, Ratio & Continuous)
  • Eliminates the nested menu needed by the DF-Robot board's push-buttons and the DF-Robot board.
  • A REWIND function allows you to reverse the last 10 operations. (Useful for undoing mistakes.)
  • A PAUSE function. (Useful if you have to answer the phone in the middle of an operation.)
  • A RATIO function allows the base ratio to be changed from the keypad. (Useful if the divider is used directly (1:1) or on more than one table, e.g if you own both 60:1 and 90:1 tables.)
  • An improved status display
  • The ability to receive commands from a USB connected computer. Not sure this is useful. Although the interface works, it's not compatible with anything and I haven't written a user friendly interface for it.

The software and a descriptive PDF may be found here.

Also of interest may be the simplified motor-mount I made. The original design calls for a rather nicely made aluminium sleeve. As I didn't have the materials I made this pillar bodge instead. It's considerably simpler and works well. If you're nervous about trapping your fingers in the works, wrap electrical tape round the pillars. The knurling is just fancy waistcoats!

dsc04667.jpg

Dave

Michael Gilligan21/11/2017 14:15:07
12752 forum posts
552 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 21/11/2017 13:16:19:

Also of interest may be the simplified motor-mount I made. The original design calls for a rather nicely made aluminium sleeve. As I didn't have the materials I made this pillar bodge instead.

Dave

Generations of clockmakers should be proud of you, Dave yes

MichaelG.

Alan Waddington 221/11/2017 14:39:26
410 forum posts
86 photos

Very interesting thread this, thank you to all the contributors.......i think i will have a go at converting my dividing head at some point, as constantly twiddling it and walking back to the end of the table to take a cut when making gears is tedious and tiring to say the least.......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest