By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Milling for beginners

Please use this thread to ask questions of make suggestions about the series in MEW

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

JasonB29/06/2019 12:15:06
16554 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

Does it have to be 3mm, they do 1/8" which would fit if you knock up a quick stepped bush

Ron Laden29/06/2019 14:21:06
1460 forum posts
258 photos
Posted by JasonB on 29/06/2019 12:15:06:

Does it have to be 3mm, they do 1/8" which would fit if you knock up a quick stepped bush

Yes I can get away with a 1/8" cutter, the small difference in size wont be a problem. Just ordered one plus some of the spiral flute taps.

Thanks Jason

Emgee29/06/2019 18:48:01
1271 forum posts
210 photos

Ron, you could get another 1.5mm wide blade same as you have and gang them together for your 3mm cut.

Emgee

Ron Laden30/06/2019 09:09:35
1460 forum posts
258 photos

Emgee, that had crossed my mind but didnt know if it would work having no experience of it. However I have ordered the 1/8" as 7 thou difference wont be an issue on the spring mounts.

Thanks anyway.

Ron

Ron Laden18/11/2019 07:13:15
1460 forum posts
258 photos

Jason, I have just read your latest Milling for Beginners and I have to say it is excellent you couldn't have a clearer or more understandable "how to do" than that.

I hope.beginners are reading the guides I for one have picked up such a lot from them.

Well done Sir, great stuff.

Ron

Ron Laden24/11/2019 08:20:40
1460 forum posts
258 photos

Morning Jason,

I dont know how long the beginners mill and lathe series have to run, I,m guessing not that many now. Just a thought but having made myself your vice stop I wondered if there is any other mill tooling/fittings that you have made which would be useful for the beginner. There may not be any others but it if there are it would be good to see them, its just an idea.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 24/11/2019 08:21:23

JasonB24/11/2019 10:11:15
16554 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

Thank's Ron, There will be just one more which I have most of the content for but will see if I can think of anything else to add. Having said that Neil has asked for the occasional article aimed more at the beginner that will cover a broader spectrum than just milling for which I'm open to suggestions.

Best get your name down on the list for a good price on a lightly used SX2.7wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest