By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Milling for beginners

Please use this thread to ask questions of make suggestions about the series in MEW

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Martin Connelly12/01/2019 11:45:12
817 forum posts
91 photos

You can get tap driving sockets from Snap On that can be held with a collet such as R8 but allow the tap to self align and move up and down a small amount. A bit like a cheap and compact tapping head.

**LINK**

Martin C

Ron Laden12/01/2019 12:52:19
929 forum posts
134 photos

Thanks Martin but there is no problem tapping on the SX2P with the tap mounted correctly in a collet. Why some people use a loose collet with the drawbar partly unscrewed I have no idea as there is no need.

From what I have found I think the key is to have the head well balanced. I changed the lever and spring over to a gas strut which has left the head quite free to operate and its lost the heavy feel it had on the lever/spring. It takes very little effort to keep the head in front of the tap, in fact I can do it with one finger and there is no binding or sign of the tap trying to pull or push the head.

Ron Laden13/01/2019 08:01:32
929 forum posts
134 photos
Posted by JasonB on 12/01/2019 08:38:49:

Ron as soon as the SX2.7 goes into tapping mode it uses a different set up on the chip, Ketan has confirmed to my that the torque of the spindle is much increased using his scientific "Gauntlet" test and although the tap stops and reverses very quickly there is some ramp down and ramp up so as not to strain things.

For yours I would watch to see if the motor starts to get hot if doing more than one or two and also pause in the neutral position before going straight to reverse.

Also I'm not sure if your stop start using the speed control is the ideal way to be using the mill, I would need to check with Ketan whether you should have the speed set than use the on/off at the side. So tapping would be set a speed & direction - green on button - tap hole - red off button - change direction - green on reverse tap out - red off.

Jason, having checked the mill this morning I think once again you are probably quite correct in suggesting using the on/off switch for the change in direction. If I use the speed control the mill starts/stops instantly whereas with the on/off switch there is a 2-3 second pause before it starts up.

Ron

JasonB13/01/2019 08:15:58
14859 forum posts
1490 photos

I think that is your best bet if you are going to do more powered tapping

Posted by Ron Laden on 12/01/2019 09:02:09:

Thanks Jason, Ketan did tell me that the SX2P does have built in torque increase at low revs and I know that to be true as the mill has surprised me once or twice with decent power at low speed.

The extra torque that I mentioned when going into tapping mode is over and above normal slow speed running. Ketan tested the mill in normal slow running and then at the same speed in tapping mode and there was a lot more torque available.

Neil Wyatt13/01/2019 08:25:26
15581 forum posts
652 photos
73 articles

I expect the controller assumes tapping will only be for a short time, so it can allow a higher current for tapping without risk of overheat.

Neil

Ron Laden13/01/2019 08:26:13
929 forum posts
134 photos
Posted by JasonB on 13/01/2019 08:15:58:

I think that is your best bet if you are going to do more powered tapping

Posted by Ron Laden on 12/01/2019 09:02:09:

Thanks Jason, Ketan did tell me that the SX2P does have built in torque increase at low revs and I know that to be true as the mill has surprised me once or twice with decent power at low speed.

The extra torque that I mentioned when going into tapping mode is over and above normal slow speed running. Ketan tested the mill in normal slow running and then at the same speed in tapping mode and there was a lot more torque available.

I dont have that of course but it was good to know that the mill does have at least some increase at low speed.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest