By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

What is it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Davies 211/10/2017 23:34:59
54 forum posts
10 photos

A friend sent a picture for me to identify. It's like a lathe dog but the wrong way round. The thread is on the vee side.


It has a countersunk hole on the other side. I guess it's some kind of clamp, but I've never seen anything like it.

Neil Wyatt11/10/2017 23:54:38
13843 forum posts
583 photos
68 articles

One of these :


Neil Wyatt11/10/2017 23:56:10
13843 forum posts
583 photos
68 articles

Actually it may be a nut splitter, a hardened wedge fits in the square hole.

"Bill Hancox"12/10/2017 02:19:11
252 forum posts
76 photos

Appears to be a pipe hanger

Simon Williams 312/10/2017 08:12:26
254 forum posts
56 photos

If it were stainless, it would possibly be a clamp off the regulator for a diving bottle. But it looks like its cast or malleable iron. So the tensile strength isn't huge. Still, my bet's on something along those lines

john carruthers12/10/2017 08:31:11
557 forum posts
171 photos


Bill Davies 212/10/2017 09:22:17
54 forum posts
10 photos

I like the nutcracker! and Neil's nut splitter. I had wondered if it was half of an old scaffolding connector, the type to allow for angle between the tube, but it's nothing like the 'modern' split pattern. Bill's hanger and Simon's clamp of a pressurised bottle seem plausible, too.

It looks like a double start thread, if it is, then faster locking would be more important than applied force.

Bill Davies 212/10/2017 09:26:04
54 forum posts
10 photos

I note, too, that the range of travel of the thread looks like the entire space inside the ring. So perhaps not a dedicated item. I discounted a puller due to the radius opposing the thread and the hole, and various other reasons.

JasonB12/10/2017 09:59:23
13068 forum posts
1188 photos

Is the small hole theaded or plain?

Colin Heseltine12/10/2017 16:37:56
162 forum posts
34 photos

As a diver there is no way on this earth I would have that as a clamp on a first stage and I'm certain that is not its function. I would go for a nut cracker. Again it is not strong enough to use as a splitter for metal nuts.


Rik Shaw12/10/2017 17:25:34
1141 forum posts
318 photos

Scarfing clamp for gluing rods together to make gunwales for small boats and fishing net mouths - for instance.


Mike12/10/2017 18:00:15
713 forum posts
6 photos

Another vote for a nutcracker. Google for "screw-type nutcracker" and you will find many variations on this theme. Or build your own with instruction at

Alan Vos12/10/2017 18:54:38
70 forum posts
3 photos

Looks like a multi-start thread, If so, speed of operation was a consideration.

Bill Davies 212/10/2017 19:00:17
54 forum posts
10 photos

I took Mike's advice to Google and found some which similar, although nothing identical. There would appear to be a pad or (on some designs) a handle that makes use of the hole. My friend says he's been told it's a pecan nut cracker. I've never cracked those, so I don't know why it would be specific for this nut.

Many thanks, all.

Tony Dimnick14/10/2017 04:18:53
15 forum posts
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/10/2017 23:56:10:

Actually it may be a nut splitter, a hardened wedge fits in the square hole.

I guess so too.

Michael-w14/10/2017 07:12:04
2020 forum posts
49 photos
It looks a bit too big to be a nutcracker to me. You could almost pass a coconut through that opening
not done it yet14/10/2017 07:28:17
1959 forum posts
11 photos

I think it may be a controlled cushing device, such as using a couple plates,with grain between, for preparation of samples for early moisture testers, or for compacting those ground samples into a standard sized pellet for use in the testing instrument. Early machines were far better than the farmer collecting a few grains and biting them between his/teeth as a test for readiness for combine harvesting.

Martin Connelly15/10/2017 09:25:14
682 forum posts
71 photos

Maybe a parallel pin pusher for removing or refitting them without banging a parallel pin punch against the pin.

Martin C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
SPG Tools October Seventeen
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition