Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Open Cup Grinder Wheel Recommendations?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Gibbs29/08/2017 14:13:42
739 forum posts

Hello All,

I'm looking for one of each 60-grit open cup and saucer wheels at a reasonable price as well as some advice please.

My grinder is a cheap double ended 125mm unit to be used with Harold Hall's advanced rest and so I think could reasonably accommodate either 100 or 125mm wheels. Which size would you recommend and where would you get them from?

Any advice gratefully received - Many thanks

Jon

Vic29/08/2017 15:07:25
3061 forum posts
8 photos

Here maybe?

**LINK**

norman valentine29/08/2017 15:16:05
280 forum posts
40 photos

Isn't there a problem with diamond wheels that you can't dress them to make them run true?

Jon Gibbs29/08/2017 15:21:11
739 forum posts

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my tooling is all HSS and so I'd prefer AlOx, or perhaps at a stretch CBN, rather than diamond.

Jon

Tony Pratt 129/08/2017 15:23:26
1936 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by norman valentine on 29/08/2017 15:16:05:

Isn't there a problem with diamond wheels that you can't dress them to make them run true?

No, the diamond wheels are much more concentric as manufactured.

Tony

Jon Gibbs29/08/2017 15:48:39
739 forum posts

Just found these wheels at a good price...

**LINK**

**LINK**

Has anyone used Midland Abrasives before?

Many thanks

Jon

Frances IoM29/08/2017 15:58:13
1250 forum posts
28 photos
yes - I got the smaller wheels - helpful company as I described what I wanted and they suggested the grade - I bought a cheapie grinder (from B + Q) - wobble and run out very poor but used dodge Harold suggested - it would just fit on my small lathe with a collet chuck + ArcEuro's revolving chuck in the tail stock so I could true the spindle - glue a couple of larger plates and true these up whilst driven from my own lathe - Harold suggests running the grinder under its own power but somehow mounted at lath centre height which looked very tricky + too fast for me.
Jon Gibbs30/08/2017 10:23:54
739 forum posts

Thank you all for the suggestions and thank you Frances for recommending Midland Abrasives.

Harold was very kind to give me the benefit of his experience too and also suggested Midland Abrasives. He also added his ok to the idea of smaller wheels.

Frances, I really like the idea of powering the spindle from the lathe - thank you for the tip. Did you support the grinder body in any way or just leave it floating?

Many thanks and regards

Jon

Frances IoM30/08/2017 10:45:10
1250 forum posts
28 photos
I had some support but it was a tight fit on my WM180 - certainly insufficient support to consider running it under power - possibly I could have made a special cradle for it (removing the switch etc would probably have helped here) but recall I used a baseboard + spacers clamped to back panel to get it into position then adjusted once spindle of grinder inserted into collet and squared up for tail chuck or centre. I've since acquired at a rummage sale a MT3 mounted collet rather than the faceplate mounted one I used, which may have given me a few extra mm to play with. I also bought a diamond wheel from ArcEuro that was compatible with the mountings used for the cup + saucer wheels.

Edited By Frances IoM on 30/08/2017 10:53:57

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest