Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale November 25th

Wilesco D100 E

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Levent Suberk13/08/2017 17:52:09
14 forum posts
1 photos
I built and run my first steam engine Wilesco D100 E at last. What a happiness... tug tug tug... then whirling sound!

I recommend that, first fit the boiler house onto base, then burner slide while assembly. Because tabs of boiler house fit over burner slide tabs, so boiler house don't fit to base if you fit burner slide first. Steam pipe gaskets are smaller and thinner than other gaskets supplied with kit, if you use a large gasket than steam escape from the joint. Place one small gasket inside of threaded bush on boiler house, as like as one or two to the other end of steam pipe on baffle plate. Operating the steam whistle is difficult due to heat. I am going to make a fork to operate the whistle. Baffle plate and cylinder must be fit slightly tight, otherwise steam escapes from between the baffle plate and cylinder. Yet I want to use soldering iron elements to heat the boiler instead of using fuel, I tried new WiTabs high efficient tablet fuel supplied with the kit at first run. Two tablets supplied with kit, Wilesco steam oil, screwdriver and a wrench. I used one WiTabs tablet and it gave about 5 minutes run. A small breadboard - protoboard- for electronic experiments, a bag of electronic components, a dynamo with mounting supports and one spiral belt supplied with the kit. I placed 3 mm rubber mat under the base to prevent vibration. Wilesco D100 E is a very good value for beginners yet experienced steam machine enthusiasts.

[img]https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/7d54/13xaxk5n1y1rvxb6g.jpg[/img]

View on YouTube
Henry Artist14/08/2017 10:49:43
68 forum posts
46 photos

Congratulations on your first steam engine. face 1 I am sure you will soon have more!

The D100E kit is an excellent introduction to toy steam engines and simple electrical circuits. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

As an alternative to the smelly (and expensive) Wilesco fuel tablets many people prefer to use gel fuel (also known as Sterno, chafing fuel, etc). Just line the burner tray with aluminium foil first. Putting hot water in the boiler will increase the run time.

Happy steaming!

Levent Suberk14/08/2017 11:08:17
14 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks Henry. I am going to buy an alcohol burner from Forest Classics. There is no ethanol based gel fuel in my country, only methanol based gel fuel is available. I do not want to use methanol gel fuel, so I switched to ethyl alcohol burner. Again thanks your advice
Henry Artist15/08/2017 08:31:47
68 forum posts
46 photos

Gel fuel can be obtained from catering suppliers. It burns with no smell and does not produce noxious fumes as it is intended for heating food. You still need to operate your engine in a well ventilated room though. Open a door or window to the outside world.

Wilesco's range of steam toys are the most sophisticated made today and represent good value for money. I have no doubt that you will soon be looking to add to your collection. How about the D18? Or if you like constructing things, the D415?

It is very easy to modify Wilesco steam toys. Here are some pictures of a D415 I modified.

imgp0958.jpg

imgp0963.jpg

imgp0965.jpg

In the pictures it is running on gel fuel though now it has a Bix gas burner system which gives a longer run time and is controllable.

Neil Wyatt15/08/2017 10:43:27
16738 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

That got me looking for Wilesco kits.

Over the past month I have noticed that both astronomy accessories and many model engineering bits are cheaper to buy from dealers than to but on eBay.

The same is true of the D415 kit which I found about a tenner  make that £20! cheaper from a dealer's internet shop.

Interesting...

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 15/08/2017 10:44:06

Levent Suberk15/08/2017 18:11:58
14 forum posts
1 photos
Very beautiful mod Henry. Chimney is different. It is very good idea to add figures. Figures are from Dr. Who series?
Levent Suberk15/08/2017 18:14:21
14 forum posts
1 photos
You are right Neil.
Nick_G15/08/2017 18:16:39
1808 forum posts
744 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 15/08/2017 10:43:27:

That got me looking for Wilesco kits.

Over the past month I have noticed that both astronomy accessories and many model engineering bits are cheaper to buy from dealers than to but on eBay.

The same is true of the D415 kit which I found about a tenner make that £20! cheaper from a dealer's internet shop.

Interesting...

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 15/08/2017 10:44:06

It will be due to (I imagine) that they have to pay ebay a commission for the sale. - Ebay 'can' be quite expensive for retailers. Even more so if payment is made by paypal.

Nick

Neil Wyatt15/08/2017 18:38:01
16738 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles
Posted by Nick_G on 15/08/2017 18:16:39:

It will be due to (I imagine) that they have to pay ebay a commission for the sale. - Ebay 'can' be quite expensive for retailers. Even more so if payment is made by paypal.

Nick

Indeed, but the great unwashed think 'it's ebay so it must be cheap'.

Andrew Tinsley15/08/2017 18:54:20
924 forum posts

I have what appears to be the same Wilesco model. It was given to me without the boiler. I have often thought of making up a simple boiler for the engine. But I wanted to have some idea of the boiler dimensions and try to make it authentic. Can you just buy the boiler part of the kit? If not I may well buy a full kit and copy the boiler! I have two sets of grandchildren (all boys) who would delight in such a thing in a couple of years time!

Where did you buy the kit?

Andrew.

Levent Suberk15/08/2017 21:33:39
14 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Andrew, Forest Classics sell this kit. Here is the link:

http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/d100ekit.htm

Tom's Hobby World of Germany sell the boiler:

http://www.toms-hobby-world.de/kessel-01645-f-d-5-u-d-6-p-1360.html?cPath=21_35

I can send the dimensions of boiler. Let me know by e-mail: leventsuberk@gmail.com
Henry Artist15/08/2017 21:38:04
68 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Levent Suberk on 15/08/2017 18:11:58:
Very beautiful mod Henry. Chimney is different. It is very good idea to add figures. Figures are from Dr. Who series?

Thank you. face 1

Modifications include - different chimney, new axles and hub caps, tyres, pressure gauge with syphon, steam valve and displacement lubricator. Adding a Bix gas burner has definitely improved performance especially when running outdoors.

It will now happily trundle along at a scale speed on about 15 - 20psi. It is one of my favourite steam toys and always a pleasure to run.

The figures are indeed from the Dr Who series. They are approximately 1/16th scale and are not expensive.

I have seen other Wilesco engines where the modifications have been taken much further - even to the point of having something that looks like a scale model of a real traction engine rather than a steam toy.

Lathejack16/08/2017 00:16:37
250 forum posts
307 photos

That's a nice sweet running little Wilesco engine you've built Levent, the boiler is an attractive looking unit as well. Did you get the little Dynamo from Forest Classics as well? I think it won't be too long before you have built a bit of a collection of them. Any idea which engine your next one might be?

The modified engine by Henry also looks good. I like the little pressure guage and displaced lubricator, I wish I had thought of fitting them to this Wilesco D409 Showmans engine I modified a couple of years ago, also from the excellent Forest Classics.

Some of the main modifications I made to it were fitting the more realistic and heavier Mamod wheels. I then made the bronze wheel rims, brass twist canopy supports, facia boards, smoke box with door and front axle assembly. After buying it and then modifying it I then gave it away as a gift for someone's 60 th birthday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Levent Suberk16/08/2017 12:08:13
14 forum posts
1 photos
I heard Bix gas burners but some people say that those burners leak at on/off valve, so I didn't buy. After then I don't understand that where I place the gas tank in a roller.
Levent Suberk16/08/2017 12:15:05
14 forum posts
1 photos
Thanks for your comment Dynamo comes with D100 E kit. I guess that E suffix is for Electronics or Experiment.

Very beautiful roller you have, red color is best for rollers I think.

I want to buy a Wilesco steam roller and want to place a manometer on boiler. I know that chrome plating must be scraped for soldering. What is the know-how of silver soldering on chrome plated part?

Edited By Levent Suberk on 16/08/2017 12:19:53

Edited By Levent Suberk on 16/08/2017 12:20:31

Levent Suberk16/08/2017 12:54:23
14 forum posts
1 photos
I found one post about silver soldering on chrome plated part:

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=126872

Chrome plating need to be removed. I silver solder a nut on boiler for manometer then screw a 5mm threaded manometer. I know that silver solder is harder than soft solder, but a member says that they have same hardness but silver solder requires more heat to be molten. Useful forum

Levent Suberk16/08/2017 13:00:36
14 forum posts
1 photos
Andrew, length of boiler is 100 mm including sight glass and diameter is 45 mm. If you want a detailed drawing I can send.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Dec 4th 2019
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest