Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Point me to the rules please.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Enough!13/07/2017 18:16:39
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/07/2017 09:20:49:

Why is it so hard to accept that engineering as a hobby isn't confined to people with excellent literacy?

... it isn't - but that wasn't the issue. The issue was whether one should comment.

And even I can come up with hypothetical (though probably nonetheless real) deserving cases. But (I believe) those are outnumbered 10:1 by the self-imposed illiteracy of those who sat in the back of the classroom, using rubber bands to fire paper pellets while I was trying to learn, then left at the earliest opportunity (15 years old in those days) to take a labouring job. I'm more than happy to skip those and let Darwin take his course.

I'm aware of the "Ignore Member" selection - I've been using it for years, though not for this particular reason.

Neil Wyatt13/07/2017 18:24:49
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by Bandersnatch on 13/07/2017 18:16:39:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/07/2017 09:20:49:

Why is it so hard to accept that engineering as a hobby isn't confined to people with excellent literacy?

... it isn't - but that wasn't the issue. The issue was whether one should comment.

And even I can come up with hypothetical (though probably nonetheless real) deserving cases. But (I believe) those are outnumbered 10:1 by the self-imposed illiteracy of those who sat in the back of the classroom, using rubber bands to fire paper pellets while I was trying to learn, then left at the earliest opportunity (15 years old in those days) to take a labouring job. I'm more than happy to skip those and let Darwin take his course.

I'm aware of the "Ignore Member" selection - I've been using it for years, though not for this particular reason.

The fate of such pupils can become a self-fulfilling prophecy if they struggle with reading...

"70-80% of people with poor reading skills, are likely dyslexic. One in five students, or 15-20% of the population, has a language based learning disability. Dyslexia is the most common of the language based learning disabilities. Nearly the same percentage of males and females have dyslexia."

SillyOldDuffer13/07/2017 20:27:53
8692 forum posts
1967 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/07/2017 18:24:49:
Posted by Bandersnatch on 13/07/2017 18:16:39:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/07/2017 09:20:49:...

Nearly the same percentage of males and females have dyslexia."

I know dyslexia is no joke but i can't help pointing out that Neil came very close to typing:

"Nearly the same percentage of males and females have sex daily". That would have been ironic, ho ho.

Although i was amused by the observation, this post is definitely in poor taste.

Hoping you are all prepared to tolerate a sinner,

Best wishes,

Dave

Jeff Dayman13/07/2017 20:55:13
2225 forum posts
47 photos

I know dyslexia is no joke but i can't help pointing out that Neil came very close to typing:

"Nearly the same percentage of males and females have sex daily". That would have been ironic, ho ho.

Although i was amused by the observation, this post is definitely in poor taste.

Hoping you are all prepared to tolerate a sinner,

Best wishes,

Dave

Ah! your post perfectly illustrates the usefulness of the "ignore member" function. You'll be the test case. JD

Andrew Johnston13/07/2017 21:01:31
6602 forum posts
701 photos
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 13/07/2017 20:55:13:

Ah! your post perfectly illustrates the usefulness of the "ignore member" function. You'll be the test case. JD

So is it acceptable, or bad form, to tell a member he is on one's ignore list?

Andrew

Ian Skeldon 213/07/2017 21:40:56
540 forum posts
54 photos

mmmmm I am almost certainly not the best engineer on this forum and am not likely to ever be thought so, however I do get by (eventually). I have a real problem with spelling, sometimes I can spell a word correctly then sometimes even withing the same paragraph, I spell it incorrectly.

I don't have dislexia (well never diagnosed), but I recognise my short comings with English and strangely Dutch as well, which I can speak quite fluently but can't write anything without both spelling and gramatical errors everywhere.

If my poor command of our native tongue offends anyone please don't correct me, I already know that I am not great with English, correcting me won't actually change anything, I will still be crap with English. Hopefully nobody will need to click the ignore button but I will understand if that helps others. I use this forum to improve my skills in engineering disciplines not my use of the English language, lot's of forum users have been very helpful and one member (John Stevenson) even posted some inserts to me and wouldn't even accept payment for postage.

This posting is not aimed at either Tim or Bandersnatch, but I thought it might be useful for forum members to have some insight as what it is like from the point of view of someone who is not very good with English.

ATB, Ian

Tim Stevens13/07/2017 23:02:33
1598 forum posts

My concern with some of the stuff on this site is that those who are 'not very good with English' may have difficulty in making sense of text which includes too many poor spellings or poor typings. I understand that some people really struggle, and I am sympathetic to their problems, but I also know that others have difficulty with understanding their output, too.

All I was saying in my comment in this strand was that there are unwritten rules and to offer an example. Neil's rather defensive comments confirm that yes, there are indeed unwritten rules, and he is keen to enforce them.

Regards, Tim

Anthony Knights14/07/2017 07:30:23
622 forum posts
243 photos

When I am uncertain about the correct spelling of a word, I type my best guess and then use the spell checker. Simple !

Mike Poole14/07/2017 08:48:49
3339 forum posts
73 photos

You would expect the BBC to employ a person with reasonable English skills to write the news ticker on the news channel. If you watch it regularly you will see them fall into common spelling traps. My iPad is very irritating as it thinks it knows what I want to write, but on balance it is just about more useful than annoying.

Mike

Neil Wyatt14/07/2017 08:51:08
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

No unwritten rule, in my book criticising people's postings in this way is explicitly covered by the terms and conditions:

"You further understand that this Website contains or will contain bulletin boards, chat areas, review sections and other interactive areas, and you agree to use the Website in a way that is proper and related to the Website. For example, you agree that when using the Website you will not:

Restrict or in any way inhibit any other user from using the Website."

I hope that by pointing this out to people who have difficulty in overlooking the shortcomings of other people's postings, they will not feel that I am, in turn, picking on them.

Neil

JasonB14/07/2017 12:01:53
22750 forum posts
2653 photos
1 articles

This is from one of the other forums that I use, summs it up quite well.

"If I could just bring this to the attention of ALL members.

As we grow, we have or will have members that are not too good at spelling etc.

This can be for a variety of reasons, education, 2nd language, medical or even dyslexia, which I slightly suffer from, and rely heavily on my spell checker.

This is no ones fault, if everyone was the same, what state would the world be in.

Members who have these afflictions usually have to work at least twice as hard as everyone else to make up a post, and even then, it can sometimes be almost unreadable. But at least they try, which a few 'normal' people won't even do.

So please, before we dive down peoples throats over these issues, spare a thought about the person who has composed it. Either he/she couldn't or can't make it any clearer or better, or has made a genuine mistake."

Ian Skeldon 214/07/2017 12:54:02
540 forum posts
54 photos

Anthony Knights, yes I have a spell checker available, along with a dictionary, I think if I had to scrutinise each posting and spell check everything before submitting it, I would probably just sit and read other people's postings and not bother posting anything myself for fear of being ridiculed. I'm not stupid, just not grate (see what I did there?) with English, thankfully those that have not placed me in their 'ignore' section of forum users, have either understood what I meant or asked me to clarify what I mean, also simple and very accepting of the majority of users on this particular forum, long may it continue to be run/used this way.

ATB, Ian

SillyOldDuffer14/07/2017 13:41:46
8692 forum posts
1967 photos

Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 13/07/2017 21:40:56:

If my poor command of our native tongue offends anyone please don't correct me, I already know that I am not great with English...

ATB, Ian

Don't beat yourself up Ian. Either you're better than you think or you're jolly good at managing it, which amounts to the same thing.

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest