By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Retaining washers?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mick H10/07/2017 13:33:51
705 forum posts
21 photos

What are those washers called that one pushes on to a shaft and which will retain their position? I think that there are two types. The first have two or more sprung tabs and the second type is a bit like an inside out star washer. This is a bit of a clumsy description but hopefully someone will recognise what I am after.

I need them to fit a 3/32" shaft.

Thank you in anticipation


Nick_G10/07/2017 13:38:59
1808 forum posts
744 photos


Do you mean C clips. ??


Juddy10/07/2017 13:57:41
65 forum posts



Clive Brown 110/07/2017 14:00:49
318 forum posts
7 photos


Or Starlock push-on.

Edited By Clive Brown 1 on 10/07/2017 14:02:01

Martin W10/07/2017 14:06:22
811 forum posts
29 photos


There is a star washer that does what you describe and they can be seen here.


Looks like Clive beat me to it blush

Edited By Martin W on 10/07/2017 14:07:59

edit to remove location error

Edited By Martin W on 10/07/2017 14:10:13

Martin W10/07/2017 14:18:15
811 forum posts
29 photos


A quick search on ebay for Starlock produces a good selection of retaining washers, end caps, etc. in both metric and imperial sizes.


mick H10/07/2017 14:30:09
705 forum posts
21 photos

Starlocks are the ones. Thank you very much gents.


Neil Wyatt10/07/2017 20:25:43
17070 forum posts
690 photos
76 articles

There's a different type of spikey nut designed to be pushed into a tube allowing a bolt to be fitted. They used to be popular for mountain bike stems before more elegant alternatives were designed, and are still used on cheapies.

They glory in the name of 'star-fangled nuts'.


Will Bells10/07/2017 21:38:37
152 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Mick

I believe that the generic term for them is Push-On Fix. Starlock is one brand.

Cheers - Will

larry Phelan11/07/2017 10:53:50
544 forum posts
17 photos

Never knew what they were called,used to see them on prams years ago. Must check them out,could be very useful things to have around.

Howard Lewis11/07/2017 14:10:15
2731 forum posts
2 photos

Have to admit that I don't like the, for two reasons.

1) They can work loose, but then still cannot be removed.

2) Being non removeable, cannot be reused , once mangled to remove.

Wherever possible, like the Luddite that I am, resort to drilling through the shaft and then using a washer and split pin.


All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest