Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Not another bloody text book !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eric Cox06/07/2017 10:31:03
522 forum posts
34 photos

At one time ME magazine contained at least two suitable projects for people to have a go at.

They have now seem to have disappeared and their place taken by text book articles, the latest by Dr. Ackerman (ME 4564) which follows in the wake of treatises on gear boxes and I/C engines.

Even Diane admits that the article was beyond her and that she only read it because she had to edit it.

The other type of article making a regular appearance is of the type "Here's one I made earlier and this is how I did it"

I feel that the magazine needs to go back to its original format of publishing regular features of suitable projects especially if you wish to encourage younger people to take up model engineering

JasonB06/07/2017 10:44:08
18632 forum posts
2048 photos
1 articles

Let me think two suitable projects

1. Tailstock Die holder, now thats a good beginners project

2. Engine for Brahminy, bit more than a beginners project although it's quite a simple engien and could easily be built at say 1/2 size to give a reasonable model.

3. Saunders and Mills, its a project with drawings though not for a beginner though the methods used can be applied to other simpler items.

4. Micro torch simple project.

5. I've not included locos

As always Diane can only publish what she gets sent in and there is only one way to change that.

Edited By JasonB on 06/07/2017 10:47:13

duncan webster06/07/2017 11:07:16
2734 forum posts
40 photos

Well I for one welcome the articles which Mr Cox hates. Some of us are actually interested in the detail of how the thing works rather than yet another loco construction article, I'm on with my 4th loco, and don't need to be told the minutiae of how to machine axleboxes. I do however appreciate that beginners need such help, and don't throw my toys out of the pram when such articles appear.

Just because Mr Cox doesn't understand it doesn't mean it's rubbish, perhaps if he read it carefully he might learn something.

Mike06/07/2017 11:27:04
713 forum posts
6 photos

Oh, the delights of being an editor! When I was one (albeit in a far different field to Model Engineer) I thought I had got the editorial balance right if I got an equal number of complaints from all the factions within the readership. Congratulations are extremely rare, so, Diane, delight in them when you get them. Otherwise, just pour yourself a stiff gin & tonic when you get home from work, and switch off work mode.

Eric Cox06/07/2017 11:32:27
522 forum posts
34 photos

At no point did I say I didn't understand or dislike the articles, Yes they are interesting and not beyond my educational level. (degree in engineering) I was commenting on the frequency of publishing this type of article to the detriment of others.

Edited By Eric Cox on 06/07/2017 11:34:13

MW06/07/2017 11:44:06
2051 forum posts
51 photos

A time and place for everything, even the ones that the boring old farts are interested in. They deserve to have a voice too.

The beginners get plenty of scope in M.E.W. I believe reading a while ago that in the M.E magazine, possibly written by stan bray, saying how that the M.E magazine always deferred from using construction/project articles in favour of write ups of complete models and their usage, rather than making them, since why the need for M.E.W arose in the first place.

Sometimes I like a bit of what's outside the known, or expected subject area, for example, this months (M.E.W - I don't have an M.E subscription, only occasional purchase of that) issue on making a flute, I haven't got the faintest clue or interest in making flutes, yet I still enjoyed learning about it.

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 06/07/2017 11:48:03

Edited By Michael-w on 06/07/2017 11:50:17

SillyOldDuffer06/07/2017 11:55:45
6186 forum posts
1345 photos

I like to see 'challenging' articles in ME but it is very much a matter of taste. Possibly theory would be more at home in MEW with tools, materials, design and workshop practice? I notice Diane quite often parks her tank on Neil's lawn by publishing MEW-type material in ME. (Trolling, me?)

Anyway I was getting ready to post this question when Eric started the thread. (Sorry about the annoying blank space: I used latex to do the formula and the jpg has margins.)me4564.jpg

Andrew Johnston06/07/2017 12:53:04
5635 forum posts
652 photos

Both equations are correct; it all depends upon how you specify the load. The length cubed applies if w is the total load. The length raised to power 4 is correct if the load w is per unit length; as specified.

Andrew

duncan webster06/07/2017 12:56:40
2734 forum posts
40 photos

The lower case w used by Dr Ackerman (case 1 step 1) is the applied load per unit length. The total applied load is then (Upper case) W = wL, so both formulae are correct, W is total load, w is load per unit length. It is unfortunate that the software used by ME cannot simply transfer equations from Word Equation Editor or similar directly and that Diane has to retype everything. This is a recipe for misprints especially if the re-typer is not familiar with the subject.

I will send you the derivation of 5/384 in a PM (Mr Cox might complain again if I did it on the forum!), but not just now I'm being instructed by SWMBO to go outside and do some gardening, and harassed by the dog to take him for a walk as it's nice weather. Even I think it would be of limited interest!

SillyOldDuffer06/07/2017 14:21:18
6186 forum posts
1345 photos

Thanks Andrew and Duncan; that makes sense.

I looked the equation up because I was curious about I (the 'second moment of area' of the beam section.) Best not pollute Eric's thread with that, specially as my book has good examples.

I know looking forward to reading a PM about 5/384 is a bit odd but it takes all sorts!

Good job Dr Mike didn't mention that LBSC probably isn't responsible for 'you can't scale nature'. He might have been lynched. I think LBSC was inspired by Smeaton who took an early professional interest in the scaleability of models.

Cheers,

Dave

Eric Cox06/07/2017 14:47:52
522 forum posts
34 photos

Hi-jack and pollute away. Even Duncan might learn something wink

Brian Sweeting06/07/2017 15:41:17
437 forum posts
1 photos

This is what I like, sometimes dislike, about the internet. Somebody mentions something and you feel the need to find out more about it.

5/384, yep, where did that come from; well I've found out more so am a little more brain addled but maybe wiser??

My mate Google gave me this http://bit.ly/2tM9buJ and the next time I need a beam I'll be okay.

Edited By Brian Sweeting on 06/07/2017 15:41:51

mark costello 107/07/2017 13:21:05
599 forum posts
12 photos

I think They should do something about the money exchange rate while They are at it.wink I would subscribe but the price about doubles.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest