Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

CMD10 / X1 - stopping gears breaking

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Iain Downs10/06/2017 14:28:31
556 forum posts
444 photos

Regular readers may know that I've not always got on well with my little mill.

In particular I seemed to keep stripping the gears - to the point where I was ordering them in quantities (admittedly small quantities, but..).

The general concensus (and certainly mine) was that this was a combination of brutality and general cackhandedness.

But it wasn't entirely me! I noticed quite early on that the gears were wearing unevenly, particularly on the low range gear. When I measured new gears I found them to be around 0.25 mm out of round. That's both the ones from Clarke and the ones from ARC. Oh - and before I put them in the mill not after.

But that's not the main thing. I always thought they weren't meshing well but it's pretty hard to prove that given that they assembly is unsupported when the top plate is taken off for examination.

One day, though I thought I'd find out why there was a slot in the support for the motor box. there are a couple of all key bolts under the motor box. You can loosen these off and twist the motor box. This appears to have the effect of bringing the gears closer or further into mesh.

This terrible photo is the underneath of the motor box showing the bolts

mill head gear fitting.jpg

And this slightly better one shows what it looks inside

mill head gear fitting 2.jpg

I tightened this up as an experiment and thought I would see how it went. If it went well, then I would take a photo next time the gears broke and report it as a useful adjustment.

That was about 6 months ago. The gears still haven't broken and I've done really quite a lot of milling!

In fact, what goes is either the overload trip or the key pops out of the keyway on the motor.

Of course this isn't definitive proof, but if you have a micro mill which goes through gears, this might be well worth a try!

Iain

Chris Evans 611/06/2017 09:39:13
1564 forum posts

I do not have one of these mills, but this sort of knowledge passed around is what makes this forum so interesting.

John Gardener11/06/2017 09:44:09
75 forum posts
21 photos

I have a CMD10 and luckily, when, in my ham fisted, inexperienced, untrained hands, I ask it to do more than it was designed to do, it blows overload fuses.

Thankfully, as time progresses, the time gap between these 'incidents' gets longer.

I still order another sack of fuses whenever I get down to my last five.

Better than stripping gears I suppose?

Iain Downs11/06/2017 18:40:37
556 forum posts
444 photos

It may be how well it's set up in the factory.

I've gone through 3 or 4 fuses in 2 years. but more gears until recently.

Iain

mark costello 113/06/2017 16:04:19
560 forum posts
12 photos

One way to set clearance on gears is to run a thin strip of paper through the gears, if it tears it's too tight.

Ian Skeldon 213/06/2017 19:06:10
420 forum posts
29 photos

Well sorted out mate, hopefully many happy hours of milling now.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest