By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Tool grinding

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matthew Davenhill04/06/2017 08:34:03
16 forum posts

looking at buying a new grinder, has any one found a better way of doing it that a traditional two wheel grinder? I.e. Something like this. http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-tiger2000s-200mm-whetstone-sharpening-honing-machine-230v/40540

In addition has anyone found a rest that you can set the angle on for sale, I know there are lots of DIY designs out there, or found a bench grinder with a system or the angle already marked?

Andrew Johnston04/06/2017 09:09:26
4550 forum posts
521 photos

The suggested machine seems a bit OTT for HSS tool grinding. The wheel is also probably too fine a grit. I use a small grinder my father bought about 50 years ago. I think the (original) wheel is around 46 grit. I have a second grinder with a much finer wheel, but that rarely gets used unless I want to take off small amounts to get a precise width with a good finish.

I don't bother with 'fancy' rests. For all normal tooling I judge the angles and shapes by eye; none of them are critical. If I need an accurate shape or angle I'll CNC mill the HSS. Alternatively for specific angles I have a cheap universal vice that I can use on the Clarkson; although I've never needed to use it thus far.

I use a medium diamond hone to give edges a quick lick, but I don't waste time getting a super smooth edge; it simply isn't needed. There is a saying that the shape of the tool is reproduced in the work. The reality is more complicated than that, and in many cases it simply isn't true.

Andrew

Thor04/06/2017 09:54:18
1047 forum posts
23 photos

Hi Matthew,

I have a home made system similar to the Sheppach system you mention. I have only used it for sharpening wood turning tools, decades ago. I agree with Andrew, this may not the best for grinding HSS tools, I guess you could use it to hone your HSS tools after grinding, I just use a small handheld diamond hone.

For my HSS tools I use an old bench grinder, I have made a new rest, slightly different to the rest supplied with the grinder. That has been sufficient for me.

Thor

Russell Eberhardt04/06/2017 11:47:57
2431 forum posts
83 photos

I've made the H.H. grinding rest and accessories and find it great for sharpening drills, milling cutters, slitting saws and screw cutting tools. However for most lathe turning tools I find it quicker to grind freehand.

Russell.

mechman4804/06/2017 13:45:03
2327 forum posts
374 photos

I just use a standard small 6' bench grinder for most of my grinding needs, I have a 8" one bought off a friend some time ago which I had every intention to convert to some form of tool cutter grinder but so far is attached to one of those round2it tags. I also have a small 3" Aldi... usual disclaimer...bought benchtop mini grinders that I find suitable for touching up smaller drills. As I mainly use the 'Eccentric' diamond tool for most of any machining I use the guide provided to titivate the edge of that on the 6" grinder.

George.

Bazyle04/06/2017 13:55:48
4484 forum posts
184 photos

The question should be is this one any good as it seems to be even cheaper than the cheapest on ebay. I might get one for use as a buffer as it is so cheap, or do people think it will burn out in five minutes at that price?
The one you linked is used wet which is specifically designed for old carbon steel wood tools where you mustn't risk getting them hot let alone red hot and lose the temper.

John Rudd04/06/2017 16:00:54
1364 forum posts
58 photos

I have both grinders that have been linked to.

The first wet n dry, mine is a Wickes one, sat under the bench, doesnt get much use nowadays....the second, mine I got from toolstation with intention of using as a t n c grinder....still havent finished that job! Unlikely to burn out, its an induction motor, so unless you stall it and leave it stalled for a long while to the point it melts the stator, should be ok.

I have a larger 6" grinder for general grinding and tool shaping....

2c supplied....

Edited By John Rudd on 04/06/2017 16:02:05

Speedy Builder504/06/2017 16:28:31
1714 forum posts
118 photos

Matthew, I would say that that grinder is not the one for grinding HSS tools if we are talking lathe tools and drills etc. Also we tend to use the grinder for shaping metal on occasions. We normally grind HSS dry and if you use the proposed wheels dry you will wear them out quite quickly. Stick to the type Bazyle suggests.
BobH

Robbo04/06/2017 22:28:13
1504 forum posts
142 photos

The Scheppach you linked to is a similar design to my Tormek. While these are ideal for sharpening all sorts of edge tools, they are OTT for HSS metal turning tools. Largely used in workshops for carpentry and woodturning tools. The honing wheel puts a scalpel edge on carving tools.

They would put a fine edge on an already shaped tool, but if you were shaping a tool from scratch it would take forever.

Stick to the usual double ended bench grinder. I think Bazyle's link is a bit underpowered for shaping tools, but would be OK for touching up tools. Just set up a bigger flat tool rest than the usual feeble offering. You can make some templates of the common angles if you have difficulty doing it by eye.

Edited By Robbo on 04/06/2017 22:28:42

David Paterson 404/06/2017 23:23:40
83 forum posts
8 photos

Cabinet making tools typically are quite thin and need a long straight edge to do their job. For example, a smoothing plane needs a straight edge ground at 25 deg over 2 1/2" width. Therefore, they are quite sensitive to overheating. Before the days of these slow speed grinders it was quite tricky to get a full width grind without burning at least one of the corners; and you needed to keep your sharpening stones quite flat (I kept separate stones for planes and narrow tools, scrapers were sharpened on the side of the stone.)

I cant think of a metal working application that needs this, but with the right attachment, your kitchen knives will be superb.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale May 19
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest