I'm on holiday - works perfectly down here. smiley

kangaroo-pictures.jpg

Former Member01/06/2017 18:42:02

[This posting has been removed]

Stub Mandrel01/06/2017 18:48:55
4306 forum posts
291 photos

e bourdons patent compound gauge.jpg

Woe is Stub, I don't get any rotate options!

Edited By Stub Mandrel on 01/06/2017 18:49:40

JasonB01/06/2017 18:51:15
16431 forum posts
1739 photos
1 articles

Think we need to change your name to Pike, stupid boysmile p

Edited By JasonB on 01/06/2017 18:51:43

Neil Wyatt01/06/2017 18:53:32
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

Who let that low-life in here?

Turn my back for one minute...

N.

Muzzer01/06/2017 21:20:51
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Funny, I had a rantlet about this in October 2014 and you didn't really register it or the solution I found. I even uploaded a variety of photos to suss out what this forum software was playing at. Can't be bothered to dig out and link to the posting, mind.

Have you tried what I suggested above? It takes just seconds. The other way to fix the problem would be to change the choice of forum software but I think we've already had that conversation....

Murray

Neil Wyatt01/06/2017 23:10:14
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Muzzer on 01/06/2017 21:20:51:

Funny, I had a rantlet about this in October 2014 and you didn't really register it or the solution I found. I even uploaded a variety of photos to suss out what this forum software was playing at. Can't be bothered to dig out and link to the posting, mind.

Have you tried what I suggested above? It takes just seconds. The other way to fix the problem would be to change the choice of forum software but I think we've already had that conversation....

Murray

The solution you found in October (as far as I can see) was to use Windows 7 instead of 8 which doesn't help much...

"

"If you want permanent rotation, use a proper editor!"

Well, that's the point, I suppose. In W7 you could simply right click the photo and select rotate clockwise and they upload to MEW fine. When I do the same in W8 they upload onto MEW forum as if I hadn't bothered, no matter what I try. Is that progress?

Not sure installing a "proper" editor is the fix I had in mind. I was getting along fine without one until somebody at MIcrosoft decided to change stuff!

Can't help wondering if the MEW website is the other half of the problem causing rotated pictures with W8. Is it just me or is it the combination of W8/MEW together? Is it just finger trouble on my part?

Murray"

"I made 3 copies of a JPG file, then used the Windows Photo Viewer to rotate 2 of them 90 degrees and 180 degrees. This saves the orientation back to the file and I think I demonstrated that I had done that successfully by emailing it to my web mail, previewing and saving, then finally embedding it in Outlook, Word and Excel. The orientation is correct in any application or viewer I try.

I then uploaded the 3 files to a MEW forum album and sure enough, the original photo is now rotated 90 degrees - anticlockwise, in an orientation I've never even created. As they were originally the same file, it can't be picking up and reverting to the original orientation of the camera. The rotation clearly happens during the upload process. The photos posted from the album have retained the same orientation, so no change during that process at least.

Over several months, I learned that the only way to get the orientation predictable and correct was to use my wife's W7 laptop instead of my W8 machine for uploading photos to the MEW forum. Is there something subtly different about the file metadata between W7 and W8 that confuses the uploader?

Puzzling, isn't it!

This one should appear upside down. It's managed that OK.180 deg clockwise - looks OK

This one should be the right way up but it's on its side, rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise. WHY? I never even said the words.Original - but shown annoyingly on its side

This one should be rotated clockwise, which it is.90 deg clockwise - looks OK

The crisps weren't bad from memory. Pretty tangy.

Merry"

The pixel click method should always work - essentially if you edit a picture then save it, it should save with the default orientation as it was when you edited it.

Lainchy22/10/2019 09:21:36
134 forum posts
29 photos

I seem to recall seeing something about this recently... did we get anywhere Neil? I just uploaded some pics to my album and they're all to cock

Neil Wyatt22/10/2019 11:31:59
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Lainchy on 22/10/2019 09:21:36:

I seem to recall seeing something about this recently... did we get anywhere Neil? I just uploaded some pics to my album and they're all to cock

Edit and re-save them in a proper image editing program before uploading.

Too many modern 'light' editors simply change image meta-data which the forum software can't handle.

Neil

Lainchy22/10/2019 11:36:57
134 forum posts
29 photos

Cheers Neil. Most of mine I take on the phone, then upload. But will try and do this.

Anthony Knights23/10/2019 10:57:14
282 forum posts
101 photos

I always edit my photos, sizing them to 640 x 480 pixels and then saving as a JPEG before uploading them to this site. There have never been any problems with orientation.

Neil Wyatt23/10/2019 14:18:52
16655 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Anthony Knights on 23/10/2019 10:57:14:

I always edit my photos, sizing them to 640 x 480 pixels and then saving as a JPEG before uploading them to this site. There have never been any problems with orientation.

1024 in largest dimension is better if you want resize them.

By default they display at 512 pixels wide, but if you right click them and choose view you see them at 1024 pixels in the largest dimension.

They are resized to max 1024 on upload automatically, but uploading too many larger images can cause the system to time out if you have slow broadband.

Neil

Russell Eberhardt23/10/2019 16:41:45
2489 forum posts
85 photos

The file of any photo taken with a modern camera or smartphone will contain what's known as EXIF data. This data includes information about the camera, the exposure, the orientation, and much more. My smartphone will store over 60 parameters. The orientation tag can store eight values, rotation in 90 degree increments and various combinations of mirroring and rotation.

The orientation tag should instruct any viewing software how to display the picture. It is important with smartphones as if the phone is rotated it is normally assumed that the up direction should be maintained. So the accelerometer in the phone determines the value of the tag. Unfortunately the software driving this forum ignores that tag.

If you always take the photos with the camera in the normal horizontal position there should be no problem. You might need to experiment to see which is normal and which is upside-down for your phone.

Some image viewers allow you to rotate the image and save it but they only change the EXIF Orientation tag which doesn't help. Proper image editing software will rotate the image by re-coding it in the desired orientation.

Russell

Vic23/10/2019 17:11:07
2298 forum posts
11 photos

Why is it so difficult to take pictures with a phone or tablet the right way up? You wouldn’t hold a camera upside down.

The Lens should be at the top ...

Russell Eberhardt23/10/2019 18:48:39
2489 forum posts
85 photos
Posted by Vic on 23/10/2019 17:11:07:

Why is it so difficult to take pictures with a phone or tablet the right way up? You wouldn’t hold a camera upside down.

With my Samsung phone, if the lens is at the top when taking the photo the Orientation setting in EXIF is "Rotate 90 CW" and the orientation is wrong on this site. For no rotation to be required for viewing the lens must be on the left.

Russell

JasonB23/10/2019 19:32:27
16431 forum posts
1739 photos
1 articles

No but a left handed(eyed) person may hold it the opposite way to a right handed user when taking a portrate picture. As the lense on my phone is top ctr it will be central whichever way I have it up when taking landscape shots.

leftie may also prefer the button on the left on a tablet. which puts a portrate photo upside down on this site.

And then you get the ones who hold their phone portrate to take a videosad

Nicholas Farr23/10/2019 22:17:00
1990 forum posts
950 photos
Posted by JasonB on 23/10/2019 19:32:27:

Hi, and then you get the TV news etc. putting the picture in the centre of a very confusing fizzy split picture of the same. This is done without any warning, unlike when there is a lot of flashing images.

Regards Nick.

Vic24/10/2019 09:44:36
2298 forum posts
11 photos

Yes, shooting video in portrait is rather stupid but maybe these folks have mounted their TV’s on the wall like that?!

All my devices have had the lens in one corner so it’s easy to remember to put the lens at the top. I can see the problem with putting the lens in the middle of the short edge, it’s a design fault IMO.

Nicholas Farr24/10/2019 10:23:55
1990 forum posts
950 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 23/10/2019 22:17:00:
Posted by JasonB on 23/10/2019 19:32:27:

Hi, and then you get the TV news etc. putting the picture in the centre of a very confusing fizzy split picture of the same. This is done without any warning, unlike when there is a lot of flashing images.

Regards Nick.

Hi, fizzy should be fuzzy or blurred.

Regards Nick.

old mart25/10/2019 20:32:11
703 forum posts
60 photos

I thought I could do it, so I deleted one of the ones which was on its side. When I found the original photo, it was the correct way round, but in portrait format. It rotated clockwise when I loaded it to my album. The pictures already in landscape format stay the same way round. The pictures are in the default "pictures" in Windows10, and edge is the browser.

Edited By old mart on 25/10/2019 20:36:56

Edited By old mart on 25/10/2019 20:38:33

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne; London MES
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest