By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

LBSC Owl - Any Info On This O-gauge loco?

Help requested choosing a next project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steven Greenhough15/04/2017 21:25:45
144 forum posts
54 photos

Hello,

Having recently pulled out my finger and completing my first Cracker, I have a 2nd mid build.

I'm weighing up what I might want to build next; I've got a few plans for more 32mm gauge NG style loco's, but I'm also considering something a bit more 'mainline'.

I've got the LBSC Bat plan and the build article reprint that was run in the ME special a few years back (reading this was one of my motivations for actually cracking on and having a go), but I think this might be just a little bit of a step up, so I decided to take a look at the sister 0-6-0 Owl.

It's plan isn't listed on My Hobby Store. In fact, the only mention I can find online is in reference to/when searching for Bat (as in the article "Introducing Bat and Owl" )

I could purchase the article reprint from Tee Publishing, it's not expensive, but not sure if it would contain a full plan? So I thought I might reach out to you all first:

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who might shed a little light on this little loco, whether that be as a builder, buyer, a few photo's (or even video!?), running reports, build logs, or even anecdotal tales of a mate called Dave who used to run one down the local O gauge group...

Many Thanks In Advance

Steve, Manchester

Edited By Steven Greenhough on 15/04/2017 21:26:38

Edited By Steven Greenhough on 15/04/2017 21:27:01

Neil Wyatt15/04/2017 22:06:11
18990 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

All I know is that Bat and Owl were simple designs published during WW2, the names reflect the blackout - the idea being you could knock them up on long, dark evenings., Luftwaffe activity permitting.

Neil

julian atkins15/04/2017 22:35:22
1252 forum posts
353 photos

I think the tenor of Neil's reply is correct, These were very basic model locos. The garden fraternity of model locos has come on quite significantly in the last 75 or so years, and I dont think anyone these days would consider building Owl other than as an historical example of what was done in WW2. I think I have all the construction series in ME for same as I have most of the 1940s MEs in my collection.

Cheers,

Julian

Steven Greenhough15/04/2017 23:13:06
144 forum posts
54 photos
Thanks for your input Julian... For me, basic is good. It's taken me a couple of years to deliver my Cracker, so a talented builder I am not; If you would like to suggest a more modern equivalent, then I'm all ears!

I suppose I could try and knock up a small motor tank style loco using an ossy steam motor, that wouldn't be a millon miles away. Fine scale realism is not important to me... I thought the black-out/night-time animal names were supposed to reflect the intended use; indoors during the blackouts.

Edited By Steven Greenhough on 15/04/2017 23:15:33

Andy Ash16/04/2017 01:01:39
136 forum posts
33 photos

Under my bench I have a half complete Bat.

The garden railway fraternity have moved on a bit these days. I must say that although the modern engines look superior, I'm not certain that they really are. As I understand it, many of these locomotives are purchased as kits. I have nothing whatsoever against kits, but it is much nicer to me to see a scratch built engine.

I think many of the kits are gas fired and often only have a single inside cylinder with cosmetic cylinders and motion outside the frames.

Say what you like about the appearance of these smaller gauge offerings from Curly, but they can usually be coal fired and the cylinders are in the right place. It depends on what you want to do, of course, but I'm pretty sure I know what Curly would have thought about the modern models.

Good luck with it. Nothing wrong with the old un's as far as I can see.

Steven Greenhough16/04/2017 08:56:50
144 forum posts
54 photos
I was assuming that owl was a single inside cylinder, probably not a million miles away from Mollyette, only coarser...
Nicholas Farr16/04/2017 09:01:04
3311 forum posts
1529 photos

Hi Steven, the publication from Tee Publishing is a complete facsimile of the original series that were printed in ME of both "Bat" & "Owl" the Owl is a twin cylinder design.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 16/04/2017 09:03:14

Steven Greenhough16/04/2017 09:27:52
144 forum posts
54 photos
Really? Wow how would 2 cylinders be squeezed between the frames?

I would still like to see a few images of an Owl if anyone has any and it wouldn't be too much trouble...
Graham Swales16/04/2017 09:43:59
34 forum posts

Steven

Apologies in advance if I am teaching granny to suck eggs, but are you a member of Bob Young's Steammodelloco group on Yahoo?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Steammodelloco16mm

Lots of information and a number of designs available on the site for 32 and 45mm gauge steam locos.

Grum

Steven Greenhough16/04/2017 09:57:11
144 forum posts
54 photos
Grum, thanks for your suggestion

Yes I am a member of Bob's group and also the 16mm NGM group.

I have a number of the group's designs including Wild Rose, Brazil, and some of the simpler designs.

But I would also like to make a main-line type engine. Like I say I have the full 2 sheet Bat plan and could give that a go, it's just a tiny bit intimidatating...
Andy Ash16/04/2017 10:59:42
136 forum posts
33 photos
Posted by Steven Greenhough on 16/04/2017 09:27:52:

I would still like to see a few images of an Owl if anyone has any and it wouldn't be too much trouble...

I don't know about Owl, but I have the drawings for Bat.

If you want to find out about Owl, then TEE Publishing do the combined book, "Introduction to Bat & Owl".

I expect you would find most of the information you want there. As Julian has said, the back issues of ME will carry most of the details too. If you're new to Curly's engines, expect to have to make leaps and jumps. His engines are quite deceptive, they look simple, but often there are critical details missing.

In truth, I think that might be half the fun.

Nicholas Farr16/04/2017 15:28:56
3311 forum posts
1529 photos
Posted by Steven Greenhough on 16/04/2017 09:27:52:

Hi Steven, like this.

scan_20170416.jpg

Regards Nick.

Steven Greenhough16/04/2017 15:41:32
144 forum posts
54 photos
Nick, thanks for that.

I'll order the reprint and see what I think after reading that.

Would still love to see any completed loco images though...
MichaelR16/04/2017 17:25:14
466 forum posts
74 photos

I found these pictures Here Where there are a few more. Mike.

o-gauge-live-steam-owl-engine-_1.jpg

o-gauge-live-steam-owl-engine-_57.jpg

Edited By MichaelR on 16/04/2017 17:31:26

Steven Greenhough16/04/2017 19:06:46
144 forum posts
54 photos

Thanks MichaelR;

It's interesting to note that the example shown appears to be built as a single cylinder. (unfortunately, the other links/embedded jpegs don't seem to work).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest