By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

ER-25 Chuck THD Engagement

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oliver Webster19/03/2017 22:57:55
15 forum posts
So, I've bought a set of collets and a chuck for my Sieg SX2. I'm a bit curious as to whether what i have is correct. Basically with a collet installed and an end mill (10mm in a 9-10mm collet) i only get a couple of turns worth of thread engaged when it's nipped up tight. The really weird thing is that there's probably ~1" of thread on the chuck. I assume that the collets are all dimensioned according to some sort of standard, but it doesn't seem ideal....I also found that my draw bar came loose (never done that before), so any suggestions gratefully received!
Emgee19/03/2017 23:13:54
2426 forum posts
290 photos

Oliver

Have you located the lip in the nut with the groove in the collet ?

Emgee

JasonB20/03/2017 07:25:56
22782 forum posts
2660 photos
1 articles

As Emgee says you need to snap the collet into the nut like this

Oliver Webster20/03/2017 08:21:53
15 forum posts
No, i haven't! That probably explains it...

Thanks
Journeyman20/03/2017 09:51:42
1159 forum posts
235 photos

Can't suggest much about the draw-bar coming loose other than it wasn't tight enough! The term "nipping up" doesn't really apply to ER collets - you nip up to prevent the cutter falling out then you get two large spanners and apply a lot of welly. They need to be tight and then some. I can recommend ball bearing ER collet nuts.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 20/03/2017 09:52:52

Meunier20/03/2017 19:58:57
448 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks for the link JasonB. am waiting for my 1st ER25 R8 collet chuck/collets to arrive. Is the 'collet wrench' the same as the nut-c-spanner or have I missed something ?

DaveD

JasonB20/03/2017 20:09:18
22782 forum posts
2660 photos
1 articles

You will need one spanner for the nut, this can be in the form of a "C" spanner or the 4/5 pronged wrenches.

Then depending on your mill if the spindle can be locked you can just use the nut spanner/wrench, if you cannot lock the spindle then you will need a second open ended spanner to hold the collet body still while the nut is tightened.

Meunier20/03/2017 20:57:02
448 forum posts
8 photos

^makes sense now, thanks for that.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest