Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Hobbymat MD65 quick release toolpost holders

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Pettigrew24/02/2017 17:08:00
5 forum posts
1 photos

I have an MD65 with a quick release toolpost that I have had for about 25 years. I would like to get more tool holders, but I cannot find any, just a complete new system.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could get compatible holders? I have not seen anything on the web.

toolpost.jpg

Neil Wyatt24/02/2017 18:23:41
18231 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles

Hello Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered making your own? If you use one of the tougher grades of aluminium they should work perfectly well, which opens the way to milling them in your lathe.

Neil

Alan Pettigrew24/02/2017 21:20:32
5 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had considered making holders, but I'm not sure that my skills are up to it so was looking to find an easier way.

I do have a milling attachment, but it is not quite vertical (I only use it for drilling), so that's another thing holding me back. Most of what I do doesn't require very high precision, and the holders would need to be accurate.

Alan

Neil Wyatt24/02/2017 21:29:29
18231 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles

If I can do it, I'm sure you can

Neil

Alan Pettigrew25/02/2017 10:03:43
5 forum posts
1 photos

Neil,

Do you have any suggestions for the aluminium?

6082 or 7075 seem the likely candidates, but some of the grades imply they need heat treatment and that would get interesting.

Alan

Neil Wyatt25/02/2017 13:08:44
18231 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles

6082 should be fine, make a test one and see how it goes.

Cut a notch the width of the narrow end of the dovetail, then use a dovetail cutter to open it up until you leave a tiny witness.

Make sure the angle of the cuttermatches your dovetails - you can get different angles!

Neil

hush07/04/2017 16:32:13
17 forum posts

I have just fitted an arceuro 000 qftp to my hobbymat. I replaced one of the two screwed bushes (m8) with one of (m10) I locktited it in, I think the original had Canada balsam to fix it. The new centre post was a bit too long and when screwed down,it fouled the slide base, a little was ground off the end to clear the problem

hush07/04/2017 16:32:14
17 forum posts

I have just fitted an arceuro 000 qftp to my hobbymat. I replaced one of the two screwed bushes (m8) with one of (m10) I locktited it in, I think the original had Canada balsam to fix it. The new centre post was a bit too long and when screwed down,it fouled the slide base, a little was ground off the end to clear the problem

Alan Pettigrew07/04/2017 17:29:28
5 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks, I had looked at that. I was trying to keep the current toolpost which I like.

I am currently making a new tool holder - it is showing me how little I know about milling

Gene Pavlovsky18/10/2020 18:08:46
91 forum posts
77 photos

Alan,

I know it's an old post... Have you made the extra toolholder? Or did you find some other solution?

Cheers

--Gene

Alan Pettigrew18/10/2020 20:06:03
5 forum posts
1 photos

Hello.

I did manage to make a toolholder, but it is not a very good one. My milling needs a lot of practice. It does fit, though, and is useable for light work.

I have learned a few ways not to mill

Alan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest