Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Wilbur! %&^*&$ Wilbur!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt20/01/2017 14:27:24
18990 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

OK, not very engineering (although they do call boiler fixers 'engineers'.

Am I the only person confused when Wilbur wakes up to be asked if he's having 'that broken boiler nightmare again''? He clearly says 'NO!' but they still try and sell the poor penguin a cover plan...

Now why can't our advertisers have CGI aquatic avian mascots?

Brian H20/01/2017 15:21:33
2312 forum posts
112 photos

I think you've been at the sherry trifle again Neil!!

Brian

MW20/01/2017 15:25:45
2051 forum posts
51 photos

I suppose they need something to make boilers seem more like something novel like animals.

The most novel factual thing about boilers is that it keeps you warm. But they know this, so they try to hold your conscience to ransom by showing you the frightful chill you and your family will endure if you don't get it sorted with your wallet.

Michael W

Steven Vine20/01/2017 15:30:14
340 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by Brian Hutchings on 20/01/2017 15:21:33:

I think you've been at the sherry trifle again Neil!!

Brian

That's what I initially thought as well Brian! (and who the hell is Wilbur?). But, after a bit of googling I found out that Wilbur was a penguin, and was the British Gas mascot (the aquatic avian). With a bit more thought it all started to make sense and it looked like he was not off his head (I guess it was me not being in the know). We could put this down to those 3D plastic printing fumes he must be breathing in.laugh

Steve

Edited By Steven Vine on 20/01/2017 15:30:56

pgk pgk20/01/2017 15:46:32
2549 forum posts
293 photos

I'm confused (no TV) ..is this a tropical penguin or are BT responsible for that antarctic ice crack by heating where one shouldn't?

Neil Wyatt20/01/2017 16:41:07
18990 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Sorry, the combination of the sheer volume of engineering-related postings, being stuck in traffic and having to use almond milk in my tea are sending em stir crazy. I can't be bothered to walk to the Co-op (already done a long dog-walk) and the jack-knifed lorry means that a 15 minute trip will become a 1-hour & 15 minute one - the car is almost as far away as the shops anyway!

Wilbur is British Gas's mascot and when I not listening to R4 I'm endlessly hearing his miserable whimpering on Planet Rock and Absolute Radio. And Friday is Gardener's Question Time Day so I always try to avoid Radio 4 on Friday afternoons.

Neil

Mark P.20/01/2017 17:11:20
625 forum posts
8 photos
I should listen to 6 music Neil!
Mark P.
KWIL20/01/2017 17:16:40
3549 forum posts
70 photos

I seriously wonder about the makers of adverts and those who commission them.

There does seem to be a race to the bottom as to who can make an advert, the content of which has nothing to do with the product, only the makers name seems to be the message.

Bazyle20/01/2017 17:26:32
6295 forum posts
222 photos

I've been thinking that sounds like a No too ever since the advert started. You should switch to Classic FM Neil - same advert but it's more relaxing.

It strikes me they thought they needed an animal mascot like so many other advertisers, then thought penguins have been in films since Pingu, but never thought that the implication is that with their 'heating' results in a cold house fit for the bird in question. A kangaroo would have been more appropriate owing to the association with hotter climates.

Following up the Absolute Radio connection what machine tools would you assign to the time capsule? Adept?

Bazyle20/01/2017 17:32:02
6295 forum posts
222 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/01/2017 14:27:24:

Now why can't our advertisers have CGI aquatic avian mascots?

Just realised this is a hint for ARC to give him a bunch of stuffed animal toys - particularly cormorants.

Ed Duffner20/01/2017 17:49:09
834 forum posts
94 photos

Anthropomorphism! That's where advertisig is at or is going. Make something human-like, use it for ads and it sells more, apparently.

Ed.

larneyin20/01/2017 18:13:35
17 forum posts
19 photos

Is it too cynical to suggest that as you are all talking about it the advert has achieved its purpose?

Neil Wyatt20/01/2017 18:25:34
18990 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by Ed Duffner on 20/01/2017 17:49:09:

Anthropomorphism! That's where advertisig is at or is going. Make something human-like, use it for ads and it sells more, apparently.

Ed.

Larry Lathe and Mickey Mill!

Neil Wyatt20/01/2017 18:51:14
18990 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Phew! Radio stations... such a personal thing, with a different solution for everyone.

Planet Rock is aimed at my demographic with eerie accuracy.

Radio 1 might be the home of new music, if the presenters ever shut up long enough for a song to be heard I could make an opinion. Sometimes they accidentally play good music in the evening.

Radio 2 sounds like Radio 1 daytime from when I was a kid (but then I graduated to evening shows like John Peel and Tommy Vance).

Classic FM/Radio 3 are OK in small doses...

I hate all the anodyne stations that have 'FM at the end of their names ... Kiss, Smooth - the most challenging thing they play is Simply Red.

Radio 6 appears to be Jazz/World Music. I feel generic 'world music' has no strong identity, it's just a rag bag of music from other nations, some good some no so good, and (unfairly) mentally file much of it as a 'lifestyle choice' with crystals and unicorns... My Jazz tastes are too eclectic for most radio stations. I went through a jazz phase and decided I hated anything resembling New Orleans Jazz and that any pub band who have to put the word 'Jazz' in their name so you know they are playing out of tune/time/duty should be avoided. (Damn another Wilbur advert!)

I do have a big soft spot for folk, but it's a mission to track it down on the radio, fortunately much of the best stuff falls under folk rock.

R4 Extra - the really old stuff (Round the Horne, Goon Show) has its moments but is so dated you can't live with it, and so much Radio 4 comedy is juts recycling the same people over and over and over again (I think there are more actors on the Archers than Comedians on Radio 4)

I have listened to the Archers on and off since about 1986.the Tichenor saga nearly got me stringing myself up, then things started to look up recently except that have added a new crop of 'cheery teenagers'. Perhaps they could an entirely unfeasible but nasty combine harvester accident... but no, they've already used that plot line.

Well that's a completely irrelevant stream of consciousness rant. Please don't let MTM know I'm crazy....

MW20/01/2017 19:03:02
2051 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/01/2017 18:51:14:

Phew! Radio stations... such a personal thing, with a different solution for everyone.

Planet Rock is aimed at my demographic with eerie accuracy.

Well that's a completely irrelevant stream of consciousness rant. Please don't let MTM know I'm crazy....

Planet rock is about the only thing I can listen to that compares to my tastes. I love it when alice reads his fanmail in a stupid voice.

MTM will have to be notified that your promotion of this station is leading civilized model engineers down the road of anarchy, studded leather, drugs, booze and graffiti to their bridgeports.

Michael W

not done it yet20/01/2017 19:40:04
6719 forum posts
20 photos

I nitially thought this topic was about steam loco boilers. I now know it's only the middle word!

One reason why I totally ignore adverts and also a reason why the telly went in the skip years ago.

Richard Marks20/01/2017 21:03:25
211 forum posts
8 photos

You Got PLanet Rock! Since they dropped it from Dab radio there is nothing else but repeated same old music and bl--dy ads fortunately I have a decent cd player and amp in my workshop so at least I can listen to quality music.

Nick Hughes20/01/2017 21:08:47
264 forum posts
144 photos

Planet Rock is still on DAB, have you done a full re-scan?

However TeamRock has gone internet only.

Edited By Nick Hughes on 20/01/2017 21:24:53

Neil Wyatt20/01/2017 21:39:01
18990 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Planet Rock just moved channel, it's still there on DAB.

Sadly in the West Midlands we lost it on FM which went to Absolute Radio (still bearable).

Neil

John Stevenson20/01/2017 23:33:14
5068 forum posts
3 photos

I have just started to move back in to heavy metal since the price of scrap went up.

I just got £195 for my old fork truck less batteries.

Any of you greenies with solar panels want a good 48v battery pack and charger ? £500 to a good home.

Or even a bad one at that .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest