Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

What is this for please?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Maurice01/01/2017 16:29:01
443 forum posts
50 photos

Can anyone shed any light on what the device in these pictures is please? It was among the effects of a recently deceased friend, and model engineer. Everybody likes it, but nobody knows what it is. The hand wheel is about 2 3/4" diameter, and the main tube about 1 1/4" and 10" long. As the wheel is turned, a screw emerges, and I think it is drawing a piston down the tube. There is a screw connector at each end of the tube with lugs to turn by hand, and a ridged tube connection at the other end from the wheel. The wheel has a deep groove round the rim that may be for a drive cord of some sort. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

brass thing 2.jpgbrass thing 1.jpg

Nathan Sharpe01/01/2017 16:52:03
131 forum posts

Looks like a pump of some kind, possibly double acting unless the piston has a non return valve built in to allow single acting. Nathan.

Muzzer01/01/2017 16:57:55
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Have you dismantled it to see what the innards look like? Surely there's nothing to lose as you have no idea what it actually does.

Difficult to see how it could be a pump or engine without a meaningful input / output shaft. Looking closely, there actually appear to be 3 connections including a low pressure hose barb. So possibly some form of steam injector?

maurice bennie01/01/2017 17:28:50
164 forum posts
1 photos

Hi The first pic. shows that the tap on left is three way ,directing whatever upward or sideways .Other than that no idea.Intriguing .

Happy new year to all Maurice.

Neil Wyatt01/01/2017 18:09:51
16570 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

I have lots of ideas, probably all wrong, I'm sure it depends on whether or not the two sides of the imagined piston are connected and how.

I wonder if two gasses or liquids are connected to the two big connectors, and a pressure gauge or outlet tube to the push-on connector.

Roger Provins 201/01/2017 18:15:34
342 forum posts

If it's model engineering sort of size you could try asking on the Mamod forum.

http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/

Edited By Roger Provins 2 on 01/01/2017 18:16:31

Martin Connelly01/01/2017 19:32:27
853 forum posts
99 photos

Looks like something designed to test small volume pressure and vacuum gauges.

Martin

Neil Wyatt01/01/2017 19:36:35
16570 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles
Posted by Martin Connelly on 01/01/2017 19:32:27:

Looks like something designed to test small volume pressure and vacuum gauges.

Martin

Clever

Neil

Muzzer01/01/2017 19:47:42
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Sounds very feasible. However, I'd have had it in bits hours ago just to be sure!

Martin Connelly01/01/2017 19:51:59
853 forum posts
99 photos

I am basing my guess on products available for industry. Screw operated pumps are available from HiP High Pressure Ltd.

Martin

**LINK**

Scrumpy01/01/2017 21:48:06
148 forum posts

Pressure test pump for gauges you place a gauge that is calibrated and checked by your boiler insurance company inspector that has been sealed by them you place your gauge in the other outlet as you wind it in the pressure should be the same if not it allows you to remove glass and adjust the tube travel many years ago I used to use one about 5 times per week it uses hydrolic oil

Maurice01/01/2017 23:00:47
443 forum posts
50 photos

Thanks for all the input gents. I can't take it to pieces as my friend's widow has it and seems quite fond of it. Thanks Scrumpy, I did think it may be something of that sort. Nice to know exactly. Thanks again.

Maurice.

Scrumpy02/01/2017 09:26:26
148 forum posts

Further to my post on this subject two points should be noted to fill with oil you screw the valve closed as you slowly add oil to the port furthest away from the handle you open fully by which time the barrel should be full . As for testing Vacum gauges ours was equipped with two fittings that went between the gauge and pump this was to set the master gauge and stop oil getting in the pump fittings were supplied by National Vulcan Commercial insurance company

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridenne Boat 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest