Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Arduinos and Microcontrollers ref: Rotary Table Mew 249

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carl Wilson 426/01/2017 23:15:52
670 forum posts
53 photos
Hi John,

Nice work, it looks great! I did not expect anyone else to use paddle switches. They were just what I had but seemed like the better solution to me.

No problems from me with putting it on your website.
Carl Wilson 426/01/2017 23:18:34
670 forum posts
53 photos
By the way John, took me quite a bit of fettling with worm engagement to get smooth running.
Carl Wilson 426/01/2017 23:18:36
670 forum posts
53 photos
By the way John, took me quite a bit of fettling with worm engagement to get smooth running.
Journeyman27/01/2017 09:25:37
1147 forum posts
230 photos

Thanks Carl, any clue as to the vibration it does this even with the motor detatched. I have read about resonance but don't understand it and haven't come across anything simple to get rid of it. Are there any settings on the driver board that can be tweaked?

I think the paddle switches are a good idea (but I have one wired back to front, just need to swap the leads) I might also bring out the reset button as I have found some modes you can't interrupt.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 27/01/2017 09:29:18

John Haine27/01/2017 09:32:48
4639 forum posts
273 photos

Stepper motor vibration can I think occur when the stepping frequency is close to a natural resonance mode of the stepper rotor. Best way to prevent it is to change the stepping rate!

Journeyman27/01/2017 16:03:50
1147 forum posts
230 photos

I shall have to dive into the program and play with some of the constants to see if I can improve things. I have put my efforts to motorize a small Vertex table on my website Journeyman's Workshop if anyone is interested. If you find any errors (there are always errors) let me know and I will fix them

John

Carl Wilson 427/01/2017 17:52:30
670 forum posts
53 photos
John,

Congratulations on a great write up. I did a very similar thing on my blog, British Reaction Research. Unfortunately space constraints within the magazine did not permit such a comprehensive treatment.

A very good idea to bring out the reset button and I shall modify mine forthwith!

Carl.
Journeyman27/01/2017 18:21:37
1147 forum posts
230 photos

Carl, many thanks. I had not discovered your blog previously, I wish I had! I have put a link to it on my web page, hope thats OK. Just as an aside I also thought about bringing out the USB connector to save keep having to take the lid off to re-program.

Cheers, John

Carl Wilson 427/01/2017 19:20:33
670 forum posts
53 photos
Hi John,

Many thanks. I decided to leave the USB connector be. My unit worked as advertised straight away, so I don't see a massive need for reprogramming. In the rare instance I might need to its no hassle opening the box.

Carl.
Matt Homer 106/02/2017 19:24:15
51 forum posts
47 photos

Another one having ago at the mew249 arduino project to run my rotary table.

I have looked at all the usual suspects blogs and forums but I cant get the stepper motor shaft to rotate.

makes all the right sounds but no shaft movement. Tried 3 different sketch stepper motor programs but all the same result.

Checked motor wires and researched that...tried another controller board but still no joy.

The only difference I can see is i am powering the UNO and LCD shield via the USB cable.

photo below.

Thanks Matt

Carl Wilson 406/02/2017 20:24:22
670 forum posts
53 photos
Hi Matt,

For some reason I can't see your photo. Can you post it again please?
Matt Homer 106/02/2017 20:35:27
51 forum posts
47 photos

I have added it as a photo/album...larger picture I think

cheers

Matt

Matt Homer 106/02/2017 21:03:41
51 forum posts
47 photos

On another point after I upload the version 23 stepper sketch file to the uno/lcd shield it all looks ok but the select button does not seem to act as it should on the you tube videos. I can through the different stpper functions but when you press select does not seem to goto another menu.

SillyOldDuffer06/02/2017 21:35:09
8513 forum posts
1914 photos

Just a guess as I don't have Carl's article to hand but looking at the photo the ground connection between the Arduino and the Controller may be missing?

Probably red-herrings, I had similar symptoms by wiring the motor wrong (yours looks OK), and also after experimenting with the DIP switch settings. I have a different type of controller though.

On the select button, there's advice earlier in the thread that might help.  You may need to tweak the code.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 06/02/2017 21:36:46

Roger Williams 206/02/2017 22:23:04
346 forum posts
3 photos

Matt, a couple of us had the same problem as you, so if you look back through these posts you will see that you haveto change the numbers for the SET figure in the sketch at the very bottom. I think I changed the setting to the same as Silly Old Duffers. Also Carl gives the correct settings for the Dip switches too .

Hope this helps.

Matt Homer 106/02/2017 22:46:09
51 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks guys will give it ago...found the silly old duffers sketch changes for the switches....cant find Carl's DIP switch settings though

Journeyman07/02/2017 11:10:15
1147 forum posts
230 photos

Matt, I agree with Dave it looks like there is no ground connection. This is my version of wiring up the bits...

conn2.jpg

Hope it helps, also double check the motor windings are correctly paired. It doesn't matter whether connected to A or B provided it is the right pairing they should also be in the same direction. Look at the motor specs for the colours.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 07/02/2017 11:13:38

Matt Homer 107/02/2017 12:31:21
51 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks John...where is the ground connection on the Shield.

looking at other peoples images I can see they have connected it just under the VIN lettering along with the 12v cable. Thought I might not need this been as power etc is coming from the USB lead for now.

PS have been following your diagram since I looked at your website again recently.

Matt

Matt Homer 107/02/2017 12:49:40
51 forum posts
47 photos

Managed to find something on the connector pin out...might be useful...Thanks Matt

Carl Wilson 407/02/2017 12:58:55
670 forum posts
53 photos
Matt,

You will still need to ground the Arduino and driver so that the signals to the driver are referenced to a common point.

You can solder your ground directly to the Arduino on any of the ground pins or directly to the 0 volt pin of the power socket.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest