By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Engine Identity

Twin vertical labelled Start 6A - but is it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Journeyman16/10/2016 11:29:14
564 forum posts
84 photos

Whilst at the Midlands MEX I took this picture of an engine on the Hereford SME stand which I posted on my website. A comment suggested that I had mis-identified the engine. The display label says: Stuart 6A to a John Bertinat design.

stuart6a.jpg

Looking at Stuarts website the 6A is a compound the commenter suggested that the photo might be of a 5A but the 5A is a singe vertical. I cannot find any info about this particular John Bertinat engine although he has designed quite a few others.

Does anyone recognise the engine or know of this particular design variation. It looks to me like two 5A's back to back or similar. Unfortunately I can't scale the image easily as there are no size references in any of the photos I took but it is probably 200mm to 300mm high from memory.

Thanks. John

Edited By Journeyman on 16/10/2016 11:33:27

JasonB16/10/2016 13:17:05
14343 forum posts
1381 photos

The 6A did not have A frame standards, had a single cast standard with cross head guide for each cylinder and turned columns on the opposide side. At one time Stuarts stopped doing the 6A and the Swan (twin) which did have A frame standards so its is possible the Bertinat was a way to get a twin when none was available using 5As.

The finish on the "cast" base looks a lot smoother than the rest of the cast parts so could well be fabricated.

Edited By JasonB on 16/10/2016 13:18:08

Neil Wyatt16/10/2016 14:19:04
15223 forum posts
648 photos
72 articles

Perhaps it's based loosely on Bertinat's triple expansion marine design, but using Stuart frame castings?

Neil

Bazyle16/10/2016 17:30:52
4277 forum posts
173 photos

Jason has it I think. Dug out my 1980 catalogue and it looks like a Swan which seems to be a 5a x2 with a smaller flywheel and no sub-base to raise it, same bore and stroke at 2 1/4 x 2. The cygnet seems to be a 5a really maybe with a modified crankshaft to drive the air pump.
There was a 6a on the Stuart stand which is 5 in taller, 2 1/4 & 4 x 3in stroke. I got waylaid by the sign on it in my note to you John and forgot about the Swan.

Journeyman16/10/2016 18:59:14
564 forum posts
84 photos

Ah, things become clearer. I have never heard of the "Swan" before that would make sense, I think the Bertinat design is quite old so he may indeed have used the A frame castings in his design.

Thanks. John

V8Eng16/10/2016 20:17:24
1205 forum posts
20 photos

When I was at the show the card had been altered by hand to say "Swan".

Certainly looks very like a Stuart Swan (IMHO).

Midlands

Edited By V8Eng on 16/10/2016 20:24:15

Edited By V8Eng on 16/10/2016 20:26:58

Journeyman17/10/2016 08:57:27
564 forum posts
84 photos

Many thanks gents. Definitely a Swan which is indeed 2 back to back 5A's. Armed with the right name I found several pictures to confirm the identity. An article on The Model Engineering Website has photos and a description. I can still find no definitive information about J.P. Bertinat's involvement in the design. There is an entry in the ME index for 1980 issue 3646 page 1457 which shows "J.P. Bertinat's Stuart Turner Swan Engine" but the article is about the Warrior engine. I have no access to the magazine though to check.

V8Eng, someone at the show obviously recognised the engine after I had taken my photo, thanks for the update.

Bazyle, thanks for the original "heads up" I will make the necessary changes on the website.

John

JasonB17/10/2016 13:08:37
14343 forum posts
1381 photos

Its not a true swan as it does not have all the pumps etc just a twin vertical in the style of the swan, as I said probably something JB came up with as a substitute for a swan type engien when it was not being produced.

Journeyman17/10/2016 16:50:00
564 forum posts
84 photos

Rumaging in the workshop I found this:-

stuart1988.jpg

It seems that you could get the engine either with or without the feed pumps, air pumps, lubricator etc.
In 1988 it would have cost:-
Basic engine - £260
Condensing Installation - £650

Well worth the money. You could also get the single version the Cygnet.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
méridienne Nov 18
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest