By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Windows 10 Anniversary Edition - Any Experience Yet?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rik Shaw24/09/2016 09:56:14
1480 forum posts
398 photos

After a session in the workshop yesterday I came back to the house for a brew and found that Anniversary Edition had installed itself on my laptop while I had been absent. Since then I have only noticed one thing that misbehaved and it was so:

My browser by default is Chrome as I am not keen on Edge but following the upgrade yesterday I checked out the operation of software / utilities and found that on trying to use Edge the machine froze. I had to reboot to get things moving again. Since then Edge seems to work OK.

Its to early yet to say whether anything else has been affected but I'll record it here if I find anything.

Machine : Acer V17 Nitro

mechman4824/09/2016 10:20:21
2947 forum posts
468 photos

My desktop / laptop have the latest version 1607, Sept 2016 & all seems well; had to ensure that Cortana was disabled as it had re-enabled itself, so far so good.

George.

SillyOldDuffer24/09/2016 11:15:42
8512 forum posts
1914 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/09/2016 22:28:17:
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 23/09/2016 21:03:22:

Now my big complaint; why on earth are updates so difficult and invasive on Windows? Under Linux I can choose to do updates when I like and can still carry on using the machine while the updates take place in the background. No need to reboot and none of this "Please wait while updates are installed" or "Don't turn off your computer" etc.

Windows updates take place in the background. They just need a reboot so that the new files can swap over with the old ones.

My understanding is that Linux is exactly the same,. it just doesn't nag you to do the reboot, it assumes you will do this periodically. Many windows owners often use hibernate so we can leave files open, gone are the days when a daily reboot was essential for memory management, and a machine can run for weeks without a hard reboot.

Neil

"My understanding is that Linux is exactly the same".

Not so, this is one area where UNIX systems are genuinely superior to the Windows family. The distinction is blurred these days but there's a technical difference. UNIX started with a multi-user multi-tasking architecture whereas Windows was single-user multi-tasking. (Not because Microsoft were stupid, rather because they had to deliver a consumer product within the constraints of early micro-processors.)

Taking a multi-user system down to apply an update is highly undesirable and in consequence the upgrade process on multi-user systems is somewhat complicated. In comparison. upgrading is much simpler to do if unrestricted reboots are allowed, and this is how Windows SOHO computing is done.

Large Microsoft installations are unlikely to use the SOHO approach. Instead, a much more sophisticated package management system, possibly 3rd party, will apply changes is a much less intrusive way. But these complicated solutions aren't something you would want to have to manage at home.

Linux (and MAC) users benefit from history by getting more flexible and less intrusive package management. Users get to choose when or if they want to take an upgrade. Most upgrades are applied on the fly and they are much less less likely to require a reboot to take effect.

Of course, the technical sophistication of linux-style software management doesn't count for much if you need to run applications that only work on Microsoft Windows.

Dave

KWIL02/10/2016 23:03:43
3550 forum posts
70 photos

Win 10 update took 90 minutes on my laptop today, then I had to update my antivirus because MS said it was not compatible with the new Win 10. Did that and had to remove Cortana again and reset a couple of buttons, of course MS had hidden the Cortana controls, but like so much is still there if you know where to find it. Too much change for change sake..

My only wish is that MS would leave all preferences alone and invite me to activate something, if I wanted to! Apart from that nothing seems to have changed adversely.

Steven Vine03/10/2016 00:30:31
340 forum posts
30 photos

Yeah, the install took a couple of hours on a tablet. Generally, this does not bother me in the least. This time however, I was closing the machine down and preparing to leave site when it decided to force the install, which was very inconvenient to say the least.

On the positive side there is now the option to clear browsing history when Edge is closedthumbs up.

Win 10 on a tablet, that's what it is all aboutthumbs up

I supply software that uses Excel automation in some parts of the programs.. I have had several users call me in the last week because the win 10 install has messed up the Excel automation..I'm not too sure, but I think new dlls are being installed and are not being registered correctlythumbs down.

Steve

Enough!03/10/2016 01:48:45
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Steven Vine on 03/10/2016 00:30:31:

On the positive side there is now the option to clear browsing history when Edge is closedthumbs up.

That option goes back years on most browsers, including iirc IE. You mean that MS just got around to it with Edge?

Also on the plus side Eudora still works with the latest Win-10 (Windows Anniversary Edition). DC1 will be pleased.

Steven Vine03/10/2016 08:22:43
340 forum posts
30 photos

Posted by Bandersnatch on 03/10/2016 01:48:45:

Posted by Steven Vine on 03/10/2016 00:30:31:

That option goes back years on most browsers, including iirc IE. You mean that MS just got around to it with Edge?

Also on the plus side Eudora still works with the latest Win-10 (Windows Anniversary Edition). DC1 will be pleased.

I think it is new, pretty sure it was not there a few weeks ago. it amazed me that edge did not have it!

steve

roy entwistle03/10/2016 08:46:04
1504 forum posts

Mechman How do you disable cortana ? please

Roy

Neil Wyatt03/10/2016 08:58:25
18994 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to-disable-cortana-in-windows-10/

It means adding a registry key, so do it carefully.

You instead get a 'search windows' box that seems to give useful results instead of failing to find anything useful.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 03/10/2016 08:59:33

mechman4803/10/2016 14:27:51
2947 forum posts
468 photos
Posted by roy entwistle on 03/10/2016 08:46:04:

Mechman How do you disable cortana ? please

Roy

I initially installed W10 via the custom installation & not the 'express' version; that allowed you set buttons to 'Off / On & to 'personalise' your installation, the same with the anniversary update. I also followed write ups from the Computeractive magazine issue that suggested what you 'need / don't need & how to disable them. I kept the pages somewhere in a file, If I can find it I'll scan page/s & post here. Might I suggest ( usual disclaimer ) you look on 'Computeractive.com web site, you may be able to look for back issue info'

George.

mechman4803/10/2016 14:57:25
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Roy ... Computer active... 3-16 Aug.2016 page 55... look in para. 'More privacy needed'...

w10 anniv update.jpg

George.

Gordon W03/10/2016 15:02:04
2011 forum posts

When I downloaded win 10 I was quite pleased with it. Now after seemingly dozens of unwanted downloads from them it is in a right mess ( a technical term ). Can't even get the printer to connect now, lost saved stuff inc. passwords, Ms. Cortana a right pain and can't get rid. What is worrying is that I am expected to pay money to get it fixed, why? No other company would get away with it. Next step must be to empty my machine and start from scratch, more money and a lot of time. Rant not over, just wish I knew more about it.

mechman4803/10/2016 15:07:31
2947 forum posts
468 photos

... Another Cortana tip...

w10 anniv update 2.jpg

George.

Frances IoM03/10/2016 15:13:03
1250 forum posts
28 photos
in all seriousness why not buy a low cost 2nd hand machine - my local 2nd hand shop sells these for about ?100 (less if you don't need much battery life tho replacements for most laptops can be bought for about ?15)and install Mint 32bit edition (this seems to work on most laptops of XP, Win 7 + Win8 age and try linux - if you have an old desktop just buy a new(or 2nd hand from eg CEX) harddrive of about 500G, take out the old harddrive (trivial upplug of a cable)replace with new and install Mint 32 or 64 depending on age of machine this takes about 15 to 30mins and requires about 5 simple questions to be answered (you could just borrow machine + try from a CD load without touching the harddrive)- these two O/Ss are based on Ubuntu long term stable edition so you will get security fixes for next few years - if you don't like it then replace the old windows drive and use your purchased harddrive as an additional drive

Edited By Frances IoM on 03/10/2016 15:17:10

Harry Wilkes03/10/2016 16:04:26
1328 forum posts
65 photos
Posted by mechman48 on 24/09/2016 10:20:21:

My desktop / laptop have the latest version 1607, Sept 2016 & all seems well; had to ensure that Cortana was disabled as it had re-enabled itself, so far so good.

George.

Same for me and have to say no issue's with windows since 8/8.1

H

Enough!03/10/2016 17:57:42
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Another take on dealing with Windows 10 issues.

mechman4804/10/2016 11:15:41
2947 forum posts
468 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 03/10/2016 17:57:42:

Another take on dealing with Windows 10 issues.

+1. Forgot about that one, as soon as I saw it ... ah yes !

G.

Enough!04/10/2016 23:04:41
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Steven Vine on 03/10/2016 08:22:43:

I think it is new, pretty sure it was not there a few weeks ago. it amazed me that edge did not have it!

It amazes me too. Must have slipped through the cracks I think. Public internet machines (e.g. public libraries) rely on it for privacy purposes.

Halton Tank11/10/2016 19:11:57
97 forum posts
56 photos

Arrrgghh !

I had a update on windows 10 today and it made me pull whats left of my hair.

I was adding a new line to Excel spreadsheet having copied it from the previous line. When I went to change the date it would displaying it in American mode (MM/DD/YYY) rather than UK mode (DD/MM/YYYY). Changing the formatting of the cell did not make any change, the new date would still end up in US mode. What the update did was to change Base Computer setting from UK to US. Check the display next to the clock on the Task bar it should say 'ENG' rather than 'US'

Regards

Luigi

Muzzer11/10/2016 19:32:19
2904 forum posts
448 photos

The same happened to me. My Dell keyboard layout got changed to US in the last "update", screwing up the various special characters (@"$£ etc) but all was not lost - I was able to download "an optional UK language pack"!!! Wow. Upon installing it, I was informed that I have an AMD processor (I don't) and some other crap happened which I forget. Makes you really respect the sloppy Mercan software monkeys who are happy to release this stuff without bothering to test it properly. Why bother when they can just "roll it out" in the next update.

In my case I had to go into control panel settings > language (not the obvious place) where a UK English Language option was available. This actually contained the keyboard layout info. The Lenovo W10 laptop I am using right now has also managed to change to US keyboard on the last big update but hasn't caused so much grief. I'll change that over later....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest