Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

Gillett & Sibert [Scottish microscope makers]

Seeking Information ...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DAvid Wright 1817/02/2018 12:59:33
3 forum posts

Apologies - don't really checkthis forum and didn't get an email alert!

I'll check it now

Raymond Griffin17/02/2018 15:27:23
44 forum posts
26 photos

These microscopes were popular in the past with some Cytology Laboratories, screening cervical smears for cancer. They were equipped with a compact quartz iodine (QI) lamp; useful for the technique of blue light fluorescence. In this technique FITC (fluorescence isothiocyanate) used as the fluorescent stain, fluoresced with the wavelengths generated by the QI lamps. It was claimed that Blue light fluorescence gave higher detection rates of malignancy than the traditional Papanicolaou (PAP) stain. It was an elegant idea that did not become established.

Expensive and potentially explosive mercury vapour lamps and strong filters normally required for Ultra Violet light fluorescence were not needed.

I retain a G&S for use, though have replaced the objectives with Leitz products; to my mind superior.

Happy microscopy.

Ray G

Michael Gilligan17/02/2018 17:10:29
14025 forum posts
609 photos

Thanks for the notes, Ray yes

It's all so much easier now ... with Blue-Violet light sources available as regular or laser LEDs.

Incidentally; the only real problem I've found with this G&S Conference Microscope is the field condenser diaphragm: ... This is badly buckled, because some previous user had tried [too hard] to adjust it, when it was seized-up with hardened grease.

sad

My working assumption is that the heat from the QI lamp is the source of that problem.

I have dismantled the diaphragm, but flattening the blades will be a real challenge.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan17/02/2018 18:24:56
14025 forum posts
609 photos

UPDATE:

I have just been informed, on good authority, that the grease-stuck diaphragm is not a common fault on the G&S Conference Microscope. ... That said; it is, of course, known as a potential problem on any microscope with a powerful lamp.

MichaelG.

Graham Compton08/05/2018 23:13:25
10 forum posts
2 photos

I've come rather late to this posting but:

I have a G&S Conference microscope. It's a hernia job to move as it has a generous 100W built in power supply. I also have a G&S inverted microscope (that's equally heavy). More to the point, I have some G&S literature that a member of the Quekette (spelling) Society was kind enough to provide. It's a while since I looked at it but I think it's advertising literature. I can send you a copy.

regards

Graham

Michael Gilligan08/05/2018 23:26:07
14025 forum posts
609 photos

Many thanks, Graham

I will send you a 'Personal Message' with my contact details

[go to the Inbox icon on the green bar, at the top of this page]

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest