Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Harrison L5 clutch adjustment

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oldskool Ford20/06/2016 22:35:11
8 forum posts
2 photos

Hello, I'm having a problem with the clutch on my Harrison L5. I've noticed when I disengage it by moving the lever to the left, occasionally the chuck will take an extra second or two to stop rotating. Tonight however the clutch seems to have stuck on permanently - even with the clutch lever fully in the left position, the chuck is still spinning full speed.

I'm thinking I need to reduce the tension on the clutch spring, but I've read my lathe has a brake which should stop the chuck pretty quickly so maybe it's the brake that needs adjusting?

mechman4821/06/2016 12:15:02
2822 forum posts
436 photos

Not having a L5 I can only surmise... I wouldn't be too worried about the chuck taking an extra 'second or two' in normal operation, if it has stuck in the on position it looks as though the clutch does need attention, the best ref I can suggest is get in touch with 'John ..Doubleboost' ... he has a similar lathe & he has had to adjusted his clutch when he got it, as well as fitting DRO's etc. so have a look at his YouTube site...'Doubleboost' & possibly pm him, you'll get a few laughs too. As for the brake I would consider that as an emergency method of stopping, some machinery have telescopic trip switches which will inject DC into the motor & that 'WILL' stop any machine dead, but that's more in the industrial environment... H & S requirements. Other owners on here will no doubt offer solutions.

George.

mahgnia21/06/2016 13:11:46
43 forum posts
23 photos

Oldskool,

IIRC from my days as an apprentice, the Harrison clutch/brake lever should have a neutral position between the clutch engagement (lever to the right) and brake(lever pushed hard to the left).

If the clutch does not disengage before being pushed hard to the left, then it needs adjustment, or is seized. Otherwise this could burn out the clutch discs and/or the brake.

I remember that the clutch adjustment was not a particularly difficult procedure, but the details escape me after nearly 40 years!

Andrew.

Robbo21/06/2016 14:28:55
1504 forum posts
142 photos

This may help - or may not! Only mentions clutch slip.

harrison l5 maintenance-001.jpg

hth22/06/2016 09:34:30
93 forum posts
22 photos

Hi

I am not qualified to offer advice, but I do have a L5 myself . The only comment I can make is, the clutch in my L5 makes a horrible rattling noise . I can reduce the annoying rattle with the speed control knob on the VFD - at certain RPM's the noise is almost gone. Reading the lathes .uk information, Tony writes , the L5 clutch is known to be noisy . My L5 clutch does function well. Mike

Jon22/06/2016 10:10:36
997 forum posts
49 photos

Aagh the old Harrison clutch rattle, just ignore it I did for 9 years though can be took out.

Motor noise and vibration more evident eating in to concrete via the adjusters.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest