By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Windows 10...more worries so listen...

Radio five live tech prog dishes more dirt....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ady131/08/2016 09:56:25
5089 forum posts
736 photos

Additionally some things which were in with Windows no longer are, Media Centre, DVD Player etc

My XP "Media Centre" never got enabled, like most Windows stuff it's too intrusive and talks to its secret friends far too much

Much easier to install a standalone windows media player app

The thing I miss the most on the newer windows stuff is their bundled games, which were quite slick. Pinball in particular was a beautifully written game

Brian H31/08/2016 10:11:56
2312 forum posts
112 photos
Posted by Mark P. on 29/05/2016 22:09:30:
I'm sticking to W7.
Mark P.

I have reverted an old PC to Windows 7 and I found that it is much faster than a new PC with Win 10.

KWIL31/08/2016 11:08:30
3554 forum posts
70 photos

Thank goodness there are not any games, the bane of modern life.no

Fowlers Fury31/08/2016 11:24:59
406 forum posts
91 photos

Quote - "Additionally some things which were in with Windows no longer are, Media Centre,...."

Perfectly true, if fact "Windows Media Center" was an excellent prog and the only one which would run my usb HD TV tuner with recording etc. However, it's easy to run it under Win10 thanks to someone, in Italy I think, who developed a work-around. Here's one of many links:-

**LINK**

As for the 'old' games, tho' not for Pinball AFAIK, most these can also run under Win10, again herewith one of many links:-

**LINK**

I'm happy enough with Win10 but it took a long time to become so. Blocking all the M/soft spying took time & effort but the hardest challenge was blocking the unwanted "Cortana" from hogging huge amounts of RAM. I eventually found the solution via extensive 'Googling'.

Were it not for my several costly bits of s/w which only run under Windows, I'd have switched to Linux ages ago.

Enough!31/08/2016 22:57:58
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Nick Hulme on 31/08/2016 09:36:41:

Additionally some things which were in with Windows no longer are, Media Centre,

As far as I know VLC - which is arguably a better media player than the Windows one ever was - still works with Windows 10 ..... although I haven't checked out the W10 Anniversary Update yet (since I haven't been non-optionally upgraded yet on my trial W10 installation).

Fowlers Fury31/08/2016 23:41:40
406 forum posts
91 photos

Quote - "As far as I know VLC - which is arguably a better media player than the Windows one ever was - still works with Windows 10 ..... although I haven't checked out the W10 Anniversary Update yet (since I haven't been non-optionally upgraded yet on my trial W10 installation)."

Agreed, the free VLC is excellent in many respects except one.

It's accepted to be virtually unusable for playing TV progs via a usb or card uner on the pc. I tried and tried but gave up as have many others. That's why I wrote above of the old Windows Media Center which was dropped from Win 10.

Anyone who has a TV tuner card or usb tuner "needs" WMC as IMHO those players supplied by the tuner manufacturers are poor (& I include Hauppage's in that). WMC is stable & reliable under Win10, even in its latest incarnation.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest