Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

5" Locomotive without casting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Bennett15/03/2016 21:00:49
161 forum posts
28 photos

hi all I am looking at my next project i have done lots of stationary engines and i like building them without castings now I need something more .

my preference is a 5" loco without casting does one exists, comments please.

ty Kevin

Bazyle15/03/2016 23:25:28
4528 forum posts
184 photos

Charlatan?

AndyP15/03/2016 23:42:56
188 forum posts
30 photos

I think most of Kozo Hiraoka's locos are done without castings, you will have to scale for 5" gauge though! The Heisler in our club is a beauty!

Andy

clivel15/03/2016 23:50:45
281 forum posts
12 photos

Barclay Well Tank engines are currently being serialised in ME in 5" gauge by Terence Holland in both 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 versions.

As far as I recall the intention is to describe the construction of these engines without castings.

Clive

fizzy15/03/2016 23:58:19
1569 forum posts
104 photos

I have never bought castings, ive bought plans but thats all - follow the plans, buy raw materials and save a fortune, plus you will know its all your own work

Kevin Bennett16/03/2016 12:46:03
161 forum posts
28 photos

thanks for the info i have some thinking to do as this will my first Loco, i am lucky because I can get all the materials as my Son is a toolmaker.

thanks Kevin

Nigel Bennett16/03/2016 12:55:48
284 forum posts
6 photos

If you're thinking of having spoked wheels, you should consider castings for those. If you keep your eyes open on the second-hand market, they sometimes come up; that might dictate your choice of prototype.

My current loco has everything fabricated except the wheels; I made my own patterns for those and Blackgates cast them for me at a reasonable cost. The cylinders were made from brass because I happened to have some, and it silver-solders very well. Cast iron liners were fitted for piston valves and main bores.

Going back to the spoked wheels, John Heslop described how he chewed his wheels out of solid for one of his creations, a 5"G rebuilt Royal Scot if memory serves. I can't now recall if it was in ME or in Another Place.

John Alexander Stewart16/03/2016 13:29:35
747 forum posts
51 photos

As AndyP says, Kozo Hiraoka.

If you purchase the books, he has scaling up directions in them - boilers, springs, etc. Note that North America is 4-3/4" gauge, mainly, while the rest of the world is 5" gauge, but making the gauge adjustment will be trivial.

I'm finishing up a Shay locomotive (3-1/2" gauge, the "original", not the "New" Shay) and the instructions and drawings are incredible. Highly recommended, even just for the construction information.

John.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest