Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Repairing a 4 jaw chuck.

Replacing worn out hexagons in screws.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian H07/03/2016 20:12:07
2312 forum posts
112 photos

A 4 jaw chuck came with my Boxford AUD several years ago and, although I have used it a few times it was always unsatisfactory because the jaw screws were badly worn and cracked.

I had a look for new screws only to find them in very short supply and one site that had them wanted £48 each, which is a bit pricey when you need 4 of them.

I decided to drill and tap the screws 3/8" Whit and get some 3/8" whit capscrews.

When they came I was delighted to find that the hexagon was exactly the same as the old ones, though without the wear and cracks.

The capscrews were fastened in with permanent Loctite and I now have a usable chuck at a fraction of the price of new screws.

Not for nothing are we model engineers known as tight!

p1130316.jpg

p1130318.jpg

Martin Connelly08/03/2016 10:57:11
2183 forum posts
227 photos

I have a 4 jaw with cracks around what on my chuck are square recesses in the screws. The rest of the screw is in good condition so there is no problem using it at the moment. If it does start to be a problem it's nice to know there is a solution that is relatively easy and low cost. My suspicion is that the screw on chuck has been fitted or removed by a previous user using a mallet or hammer on the chuck key in the screw hole. Personally I try to avoid putting the chucks on so hard that they require impact forces to remove them.

Martin

Ajohnw08/03/2016 13:33:55
3631 forum posts
160 photos

Some people use hex socket cap screws so that they can adjust the work with their fingers initially. Only usually seen on clock sized lathes. Also has the advantage that it's easy to get high tensile ones. Not sure about grub screws.

John

-

Phil Whitley08/03/2016 21:49:01
1450 forum posts
147 photos

Excellent repair Brian, and a damned good idea!¬ Must file that away for future use!

Phil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate