Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

A Spring Centre - March 2016

Good article but a small criticism

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Whittaker18/02/2016 12:48:56
148 forum posts
17 photos

I loved the article in the March edition of the MEW on the Spring Centre. Lovely drawings, good photos, text that I could follow, and even enough motivation from the piece to consider making my own.

But, what would I use a spring centre for? I couldn't imagine. And while the stories about RR are fine and apposite I think there may be little bit of wood for the trees here and an explanation of its use in tapping would be of benefit. (Yes, I had to googling.)

But I repeat. A very good article for me.

Colin

Martin Connelly18/02/2016 14:10:14
2183 forum posts
227 photos

A lot of taps have centres drilled in their drive end. If you drill a hole in a workpiece on a mill or drill for a tapped hole you leave the workpiece in the drilled position, put the spring centre in the chuck or collet of the mill or drill. You then position the tap tip in the hole and bring the spring centre down to the point where the centre is in the tap's centre drilled hole. This aligns the tap with the drilled hole to ensure the thread is produced evenly without an angle to the workpiece.

Another use is when setting up a centre popped hole in a workpiece in an independent chuck on a lathe. You put the spring centre in the tailstock, trap a plain centre between the centre pop and the spring centre and put a DTI on the centre. As the chuck is rotated the eccentricity of the centre pop is followed by the centre and shows up on the DTI. Much easier than trying to set the centre pop to a tailstock mounted centre or by eye.

There are probably other uses as well that other people can suggest.

Martin

Martin Connelly18/02/2016 14:21:55
2183 forum posts
227 photos

Here are some pictures of what I tried to explain above.

**LINK**

Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate