Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Website issue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Muzzer20/01/2016 18:49:32
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Something has changed in the last day or so. If I'm in a thread but not logged in, I find that logging (to post a reply for instance) in throws me back to the home page. That's bl00dy annoying 'cos you then have to navigate your way back to where you were before you logged in.

It's not just this machine, it was the same at work earlier.

What's changed and why? Can you fix it?

NJH20/01/2016 18:53:45
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Yep - quite right - so it does.

Norman

Mick Henshall20/01/2016 19:39:01
513 forum posts
28 photos

Yes it is a bit irritating, almost as bad as logging in and if I try another website and return to the mew website 2 minutes later I'm logged out, remember me box ticked makes no difference

Mick

Neil Wyatt20/01/2016 19:42:30
16429 forum posts
685 photos
74 articles

It was changed at my request.

The poroblem is simple, a significant proportion of users enter their password incorrectly, and then when they do enter it right, they get sent back to the 'log on screen' as it is the previous one they visited.

We get so many users who end up going in circles, creating new log-ons and locking themselves out by resetting their passwords (one user recently claimed to be on username 10, presumably as a result of this problem) we decided it was worth a minor inconvenience to those who remember their passwords to save these other poor souls from themselves.

The answer is simple, when you need to log in, right click the log in link and choose 'open in a new tab' this leaves the original page open, and you can simply refresh it to add a comment.

Neil

NJH20/01/2016 19:54:06
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Well Neil a simple " POROBLEM " !! it may be but the solution is a ***** nuisance!

Norman

Ajohnw20/01/2016 20:07:41
3631 forum posts
160 photos

I agree with the general complaints - causes more people irritation than people who have the problem it's intended to fix. What should happen when people make a mistake is that they just remain on the log in page Remembering that page is the mistake.

John

-

Neil Wyatt20/01/2016 20:48:22
16429 forum posts
685 photos
74 articles

An error logging in does return you to the log in page. The problem was that successfully logging in on the second attempt then returned people to the log in page as well.

Many (yes LOTS) of users interpreted this as a failure to log on and kept trying until they gave up, created a new ID or requested a new password - a process that is stymied for some users as teh auto generated password email tend to be treated as spam

The solution may be an irriitation, but bear in mind I sort several forum users a month who have fallen foul of this problem, it was having four or five people with such problems over the holiday period that triggered my request.

If that many make the effort to get in touch with me, who knows how many just give up?

Mick, your logging out problem probably means one of a number of things - you are disabling cookies, you are logging in on another computer, you log on to another MyTimeMedia website, you have the bad luck to be online when we do some maintenance (there has been more than usual recently).

I did ask for some different alternatives, but whatever we do we can't return to the previous page WITHOUT sending previously failed log-ins back to the log in page.

It may feel like a nuisance now, but give it a few weeks and it will be forgotten,

Ian P20/01/2016 20:48:43
2143 forum posts
89 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/01/2016 19:42:30:

It was changed at my request.

The poroblem is simple, a significant proportion of users enter their password incorrectly, and then when they do enter it right, they get sent back to the 'log on screen' as it is the previous one they visited.

We get so many users who end up going in circles, creating new log-ons and locking themselves out by resetting their passwords (one user recently claimed to be on username 10, presumably as a result of this problem) we decided it was worth a minor inconvenience to those who remember their passwords to save these other poor souls from themselves.

The answer is simple, when you need to log in, right click the log in link and choose 'open in a new tab' this leaves the original page open, and you can simply refresh it to add a comment.

Neil

So this website has 'many users end up going in circles'.

If that is in comparison with other websites, then it beggars belief that the answer was not to find out why and fix that, rather than creating a new problem.

The MTM websites are quirky enough already (I'm being polite).

'Open in a new tab' is fine on a PC but can be a pain on tablets and mobile devices.

Ian P

Peter Krogh20/01/2016 20:48:57
212 forum posts
20 photos

I never log out, on any of the forums. cheeky

Pete

Michael Gilligan20/01/2016 20:56:41
13799 forum posts
599 photos
Posted by Peter Krogh on 20/01/2016 20:48:57:

Don't speak too soon, Pete

You will log out [get logged out] of this one, just when you least expect it.

devil

MichaelG.

Ian P20/01/2016 21:03:08
2143 forum posts
89 photos
Posted by Peter Krogh on 20/01/2016 20:48:57:

Pete

Pete, nor do I

As many users here will attest there is really no need to logout, the website does it for you!

In my case its occasionally, randomly, frequently, or sometimes, (one will eventually apply to your computer)

To be fair I have experienced 'logged in' periods that lasted a few weeks but that was an exception.

Ian P

ega20/01/2016 21:50:05
1227 forum posts
103 photos

Neil Wyatt:

Possibly a naive question but if the website can be changed at your request would it be possible to request some improvements to eg the posting of photos? I would like to be able to drag and drop photos into a post rather than first loading transient images into an album.

Gray20/01/2016 22:24:26
999 forum posts
8 photos

I usually make sure I am logged in before navigating around the site so this change probably won't impact much on me however, it beggars belief that a problem as outlined should be addressed in such a bizarre manner. Most, if not all other forum sites I use, upon successful login, redirect back to where you were, and a failed login merely advises you of such and requests a correction of the login details or allows for a new password to be requested.

As others have alluded to, this forum has more than its fair share of quirks and so in a clumsy attempt to 'fix' a login issue yet another quirk is introduced.

I think this will raise its head again and again rather than be forgotten. More of a fudge than a fix methinks

Danny M2Z21/01/2016 05:48:23
740 forum posts
278 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/01/2016 20:48:22:

Mick, your logging out problem probably means one of a number of things - you are disabling cookies,

I had this problem recently but I put it down to my Firefox upgrade (as suggested by the forum).

Btw, Thanks for the cookies - I ate them all, they taste like crap, full of binary bits - maybe this is the problem!

The 'Lighthouse' add-on for Firefox is quite illuminating. One of my favourite sites just floats in cyberspace with no linkys - **LINK** beautiful.

Regards * Danny M *

Neil Wyatt21/01/2016 09:35:50
16429 forum posts
685 photos
74 articles
Posted by Ian Phillips on 20/01/2016 20:48:43:

If that is in comparison with other websites, then it beggars belief that the answer was not to find out why and fix that, rather than creating a new problem.

But that's exactly what we did?

I have asked if its possible to remember where people were before they started the log in process, rather than just return to the prior page (which is what caused the problems).

Neil

Neil Wyatt21/01/2016 09:39:44
16429 forum posts
685 photos
74 articles
Posted by ega on 20/01/2016 21:50:05:

Neil Wyatt:

Possibly a naive question but if the website can be changed at your request would it be possible to request some improvements to eg the posting of photos? I would like to be able to drag and drop photos into a post rather than first loading transient images into an album.

i can ask for tweaks, not fundamental changes!

The photos & albums setup is not easy to change, and you will find most forums use an album approach as it hugely reduces the size of the database.

If pictures were pasted into posts, every time the post was quoted the picture would be duplicated using up lots more space. Linked pictures or those in albums take up very little data.

Neil

Neil Wyatt21/01/2016 09:44:20
16429 forum posts
685 photos
74 articles
Posted by Ajohnw on 20/01/2016 20:07:41:

I agree with the general complaints - causes more people irritation than people who have the problem it's intended to fix. What should happen when people make a mistake is that they just remain on the log in page Remembering that page is the mistake.

John

-

I'm sure it can be done.

If anyone can offer a script that remembers the last page you were on but forgets it if it was the log on page, let me have it and I'll pass it on.

Neil

ega21/01/2016 09:48:17
1227 forum posts
103 photos

Neil Wyatt:

Thank you for the reasoned reply. I do make a point of sizing photos appropriately before uploading to album.

Ajohnw21/01/2016 10:06:30
3631 forum posts
160 photos

No Neil. You still load them into an album but do it automatically. It can be a global album that's not unique to any user or it could be done on a user basis. That would be preferable in case some user wants to get at them again. Some forums just use one the picture web sites and generate a random picture name for each one posted and store them there. Again use of a users name could be a good idea if the site has a search facility.

The current discussion - log in is different so requires specific actions in the software. It should be easy to leave the last page record alone and just reshow the log in screen again if some one makes a mistake logging in.

sadAs to the forum software I'd guess some one at some time has re invented the wheel rather than at least looking around at the free forum software that is available. It's rather idiosyncratic when compared with any other forum i use and has some very strange peculiarities. Trapping out right mouse clicks for instance.

I'm reminded of a boring phase of my working life when I decided to write a stock control program suite all on my own. I rapidly found that it wasn't as simple as I thought once it was in use. All user problems fortunately. Some were determined to break it.

John

-

Michael Gilligan21/01/2016 10:40:01
13799 forum posts
599 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/01/2016 09:44:20:

I'm sure it can be done.

If anyone can offer a script that remembers the last page you were on but forgets it if it was the log on page, let me have it and I'll pass it on.

Neil,

Not quite what you asked for, but; I have sent you a PM that may be relevant.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest