By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

The Iron Duke speaks on our behalf, Long live the Duke !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rik Shaw03/01/2016 10:59:48
1480 forum posts
398 photos

**LINK**

Rik

Speedy Builder503/01/2016 11:30:59
2590 forum posts
207 photos

Is my English out of date ? Quote "such as essential function that it is hard to imagine the life without them" Should that have been "Such an essential" ??
Perhaps its just me.
BobH

Barry Q03/01/2016 13:37:30
41 forum posts

No I don't think it is you Speedy so don't get too upset, even journalists these days don't seem to care what they write and certainly never seem to double check their facts before putting pen to paper.

I expect the Grammar brigade to make comment to this posting as well. Trouble is not everyone had the opportunity to a good education thanks to the 11+.

Back to the thread - well said by the Duke. Pity the media doesn't follow his sensible comments. All they want to do is criticise his sense of humour.

BQ

John Stevenson03/01/2016 13:50:41
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Pity 'Big Ears' doesn't have the same outlook..............................

Bodger Brian03/01/2016 14:07:10
187 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 03/01/2016 11:30:59:

Is my English out of date ? Quote "such as essential function that it is hard to imagine the life without them" Should that have been "Such an essential" ??
Perhaps its just me.

Just a typo, I imagine. I saw a report on the BBC news website this morning about the flooding in various parts of the country which referred to 'food defences'........

V8Eng03/01/2016 14:07:36
1696 forum posts
1 photos

Perhaps the Duke should get the Parliamentarians together and indoctrinate them with his views.

At the very least it might cure the glazed eyeballs appearance that some of them seem to get when visiting factories.

Edited By V8Eng on 03/01/2016 14:11:08

Muzzer03/01/2016 15:30:09
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Haha - "March of the makers", as to a funeral!

Mike Poole03/01/2016 17:31:32
3302 forum posts
73 photos

It is a pity that STEM qualifications are desperately under represented in our parliament, of the 650 bodies in parliament it seems much less than 50 have any sort of technical degree. PPE seems well represented but what use that would be to get a proper job I can't imagine.

Mike

duncan webster03/01/2016 17:47:32
3919 forum posts
61 photos

I echo Michael's concern, this website gives some idea of politicians background

**LINK**

What is even worse is when incompetent MPs deliberately overrule advice from outside experts. When I was once canvassed by an aspiring MP he gave me a copy of his CV to read. He didn't understand when I asked him if he'd ever had a proper job, his experience was all working within the political bubble

Muzzer03/01/2016 18:07:01
2904 forum posts
448 photos

As a nation we like to slag off China but ironically, something like 90% of the top government officials there are scientists and engineers. They certainly aren't perfect by a long way but I suspect they are a little less likely to ignore objective facts in favour of dogma and idealism to quite the degree we do here.

Ajohnw03/01/2016 19:38:20
3631 forum posts
160 photos

Country after country including this one - once - has demonstrated manufacture is where the money goes too.

However profits are generally lower, volumes are higher, export is more or less essential and it requires a lot more investment than sales. Also more people.

John

-

Tony Pratt 103/01/2016 19:50:18
1926 forum posts
12 photos

I read somewhere that only manufacturing, farming & mining make 'real' wealth, the rest just circulate money? Most if not all of our politicians wouldn't have a clue about any of the three mentioned above.

Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest