Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What Did You Do Today (2016)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Windy22/11/2016 12:56:49
887 forum posts
189 photos

A change from model engineering and motorbike bits have a batch of hardy lure bodies and props to make was told this lure is no longer available my fishing acquaintance reckons it's a killer.

Hardy lure

Clive Hartland22/11/2016 15:00:35
2812 forum posts
40 photos

Normally by this time of year the bees are very quiet and clustered for the winter, but no, the bees are active and now I find that the 4 Nucleus hives on 6 combs are very light when I heft them from the back edge. So today I went down and put a kilo bag of Fondant on each of them. As i lifted the roof, the bees spilled out to see what is happening and I worked as quickly as i could to get them closed down again as they would start eating their stores from being cold and active. They seem to be visiting a white flowered vine in the hedgerows, maybe a Russian vine. I dont know how much nectar they get from it but anything helps.

The 5 Main hives I always leave one box of honey above the brood chamber as a large hive will need about 45 to 55 lb of stored honey to get through till Spring. The quicker it gets colder the better for them, not for me though! So far no Wood Pecker attacks but they normally only attack later in the season but I have wrapped the hives in sewelling, red perforated plastic like they use on road works.

Clive

Neil Wyatt22/11/2016 15:30:33
18994 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by Windy on 21/11/2016 21:51:40:

Been at the Hospital for another endoscopy and will have a CT scan in a few weeks.

I'm a bit like my scrapyard sprint specials bits keep falling off but cant fix the body with a spanner or welding torch maybe a Percussive maintenance instrument might knock some sense into me. laugh

Windy

Look after yourself Paul

NJH22/11/2016 15:57:39
2314 forum posts
139 photos

I know how you feel Windy - hang on in there though.

I've just had the 1 yr post op scans and chat with the consultant. AOK .... but one is always tense and , I guess, always will be. I think it has sharpened my focus a bit and I tend to live in the moment more and appreciate the little things in life.

Norman

Windy22/11/2016 16:18:59
887 forum posts
189 photos

Thanks for your kind posts I've just had a message from one of my competitors in the speed record scene and another of my acquaintances from that era has had the maximum number of stents fitted. His speed machines broke new ground in it's day I understand as a youngster he was involve with the GT40 car at Ford Advanced Vehicles.

Clive Hartland22/11/2016 19:28:38
2812 forum posts
40 photos

GT 40, at this moment I am making a new gear lever gate for a GT 40 as the original was aluminium and wears away in use. A steel one will wear the gear lever away. This GT 40 has a FORD 3.4 liter engine and is still being run in. Not mine by the way as i could not scrunch myself small enough to sit in it!

Clive

Mike E.22/11/2016 20:39:44
217 forum posts
24 photos

Tool Post  (Lorch ?)I spent a little time today looking through the box of tooling I got with a small Lorch lathe a couple of days ago. With the accessories was a rather interesting tool holder, which has a radius cut into it for wedges similar to those found in lantern type holders, and for the same purpose; adjusting centre height of cutter's. Seems a better design than using shims. Here are a couple of photos.......Tool Post  (Lorch ?)

Michael Gilligan23/11/2016 07:49:30
20108 forum posts
1043 photos

surprise crying 2

Just read this **LINK** and decided it might be better to stay in bed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38073866

Has the World gone mad?

MichaelG.

Jon Gibbs23/11/2016 08:58:59
739 forum posts
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/11/2016 07:49:30:

Has the World gone mad?

After the year of Brexit and Trump, are you serious? wink

"Three viewers complained that the TV advert could encourage unsafe practice and six believed it featured behaviour that could be dangerous for children to copy."

How sad and boring do you have to be to complain about TV adverts?

Michael Gilligan23/11/2016 09:25:06
20108 forum posts
1043 photos
Posted by Jon Gibbs on 23/11/2016 08:58:59:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/11/2016 07:49:30:

Has the World gone mad?

After the year of Brexit and Trump, are you serious? wink

Three sets of evidence, taken together

Bazyle23/11/2016 13:09:50
6301 forum posts
222 photos

Had a helpful email from 'paypal' telling me my account was locked owing to suspicious activity. Only they sent it to my work email......

Windy23/11/2016 15:11:43
887 forum posts
189 photos
Posted by Windy on 22/11/2016 12:56:49:

A change from model engineering and motorbike bits have a batch of hardy lure bodies and props to make was told this lure is no longer available my fishing acquaintance reckons it's a killer.

Hardy lure

Please note a killer meaning it catches fish nothing to do with health and safety

Richard S223/11/2016 15:12:47
229 forum posts
134 photos

CH Boiler had been playing up recently. Found online that my specific brand/type was prone to PCB fault.

Sure enough all signs and symptoms pointed to this fault. Ordered a complete Control Unit yesterday at 1400.

Postman delivered it at 0945 today. Removed the old unit, cleaned, then installed the new one,

All checked and fired up first time. Not bad really, as I installed the CH system nearly 15 years ago and some owner's units failed within 4 years. Not used every day though. Nice and warm now!.

Richard S223/11/2016 15:12:49
229 forum posts
134 photos

CH Boiler had been playing up recently. Found online that my specific brand/type was prone to PCB fault.

Sure enough all signs and symptoms pointed to this fault. Ordered a complete Control Unit yesterday at 1400.

Postman delivered it at 0945 today. Removed the old unit, cleaned, then installed the new one,

All checked and fired up first time. Not bad really, as I installed the CH system nearly 15 years ago and some owner's units failed within 4 years. Not used every day though. Nice and warm now!.

Alan Waddington 223/11/2016 16:36:53
522 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by Richard S2 on 23/11/2016 15:12:49:

Ideal Isar by any chance ?.....

daveb23/11/2016 17:56:18
626 forum posts
10 photos

Some central heating boilers have relatively heavy transformers soldered to the PCB and supported only by the solder pins. A few good thumps during transit is enough to cause an intermittent fault, either by pulling a pin from a soldered joint that was dubious to begin with or by cracking the PCB track. Boilers can work perfectly well for a long time before the fault becomes apparent, which will be on a Saturday night during the coldest winter for two hundred years.

Dave

Muzzer23/11/2016 19:37:10
2904 forum posts
448 photos

A competent manufacturer will include shock and vibration testing during product validation testing, despite the fact that the product will be bolted firmly to the wall during its service life. There aren't many products that aren't going to be transported between factory and installation and the transportation service industry is not known for gentle handling. There are also vibrations caused by the fan, pump and combustion process. I think you can be fairly certain that one of the reasons that Worcester Bosch are so consistently top of the table for reliability and customer satisfaction has something to do with their robust product development process.

Apart from mechanical shock and vibe, one of the killers for electronics is thermal cycling. This causes cumulative damage through micro cracking and voids in solder joints, die bonds etc. Boilers typically enjoy 2 cycles per day, plus mini cycles due to hot water heating (for combi boilers). Over a year, that's quite a few cycles.

Richard S223/11/2016 19:59:04
229 forum posts
134 photos
Posted by Alan Waddington 2 on 23/11/2016 16:36:53:
Posted by Richard S2 on 23/11/2016 15:12:49:

CH Boiler had been playing up recently. Found online that my specific brand/type was prone to PCB fault.!.

Ideal Isar by any chance ?.....

Sorry for the response delay Alan. It is a 2001 Potterton Suprima (60). Specific fault apparently. Identified by the scorching on the PCB and smoke trail. Lot of banter online over the years regarding the issue and denial of manufacture design fault.

I did have the option to obtain a repaired/refurbished PCB (on exchange), but too much of a pain. Went for a complete new updated Assembly (4 times the cost), but with modern circuitry incorporating a 'Fix'.So happy to pay more for the hopeful reliability.

Not sure why I ended up with duped post initially?.

Regards.

Alan Waddington 223/11/2016 20:11:58
522 forum posts
87 photos

Ah yes, the Suprima, You're correct, common issue, have changed loads of those, latest pcb comes with a full new wiring harness, so is a pain to change.

PaulR23/11/2016 22:17:56
123 forum posts
21 photos

Forgot how bad I am at using a hacksaw.

Forgot how good I am at using a file

Forgot to stop filing as it was so satisfying

Forgot how bad I am at using a file

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest