Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

A New Use fior Digital Verniers??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Powell 208/12/2015 17:17:48
33 forum posts
11 photos

Has anybody taken apart one of the cheap digital verniers to convert it as a dro for a lathe or milling machine? I kind of strikes me that it would be quite a cool thing to do. I will be purchasing one at some point to see if it is possible but just wondering if somebody else has beaten me to it.

Howi08/12/2015 17:24:18
330 forum posts
19 photos

Not much point really, as the igaging scales are cheap enough and designed for the job.

But, of course , if you want to have a go...............teeth 2

I have adapted a cheap digital caliper from maplins, to give a readout from my lathe tailstock, just a case of chopping bits off rather than adapting electronically though.

Edited By Howi on 08/12/2015 17:27:21

Brian Wood08/12/2015 17:26:47
2497 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Dave,

Sadly not a new idea, many others have thought the same. I have one on the tailstock ram on my Myford, there is a proper DRO system on the lathe itself.

Machine DRO sell stripped down versions without the calipers for just such applications.

Regards

Brian

Les Jones 108/12/2015 18:39:16
2241 forum posts
153 photos

I've used them for the Y axis and the quill on my X3 milling machine and the cross slide on my lathe. I did also have a cut down 4" digital caliper on the compound slide but I removed it as it sometimes got in the way.

Les

mechman4808/12/2015 18:56:58
2938 forum posts
466 photos

I use a digital tyre gauge on my tailstock, cost me about £6 on the usual auction site, fitted magnets on the back, have taken the back stop of the slide & can get up to 37 mm readout also used it on the saddle when machining a specified shoulder length.

George

Dave Powell 208/12/2015 19:18:14
33 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks for all the replies, gentlemen. I am definitely going to have a play with one but will also have a look at what is commercially available.

John Stevenson08/12/2015 20:28:12
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Take a look at this.

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest