Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Emco compact 5 cnc lathe with Welturn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Emgee24/02/2017 13:44:22
1650 forum posts
224 photos
Posted by Stefan Kovačević on 07/06/2016 10:39:35:

Done some hardware tinkering with help from Sam and derstrap on cnczone, removed the welturn "card" placed the 4th dip switch in lower position, and used Sam's config files for EMC2 and it works like a charm!

Michael

Read earlier posts frpm Stefan, seems he has had a good result, the link to cnc zone you posted is very old and some better units are now available.

Emgee

Stefan Kovačević24/02/2017 16:28:40
10 forum posts

Hi Michael, you might want to check the thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop-machines/308372-software.html#post1886794

My Emco was running just fine with stock parts, but with EMC2 as a operational software, instead of WellTurn.

It wasnt so hard, especially if you are familiar with Linux (I wasnt, and I m still not familiar lol).

Just have to install it as an OS, EMC2 is incorporated there, and you copy the folder Sam made and you will be able to run it (with a tweak or two).

In the meantime, I replaced all the hardware on my machine with modern electronics, but I m still running it on EMC2.

If you need help, shoot!

MICHAEL Moore 126/02/2017 17:00:01
10 forum posts
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately due to a lot of damage and missing parts for the Emco I need a lot of new bits so I want to do it as a cnc. Any help sourcing the parts is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Stefan Kovačević26/02/2017 17:35:50
10 forum posts

what are you missing?

MICHAEL Moore 126/02/2017 20:56:30
10 forum posts

All the electrics at the back are torn out and damaged and the front buttons panel is in a bad way.

I was hoping to fit new steppers through an appropriate motherboard and power supply through a suitable pc / laptop

I hope this is possible

Emgee26/02/2017 23:43:17
1650 forum posts
224 photos

Hi Raglan, your Emco 5 must have been an early lathe as from Mk3 onward although it was required to do a full circle using 4 commands (4x90deg), or part arcs for the desired angle, arcs of any radius can be made up to the built in limits, but it does need a full understanding of the G code programming using G02/G03/M99 and even then it is easy to make errors in the code.

Cheap controller test running steppers on Emco 5 cnc lathe https://youtu.be/lMFHZ7pLusM

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 26/02/2017 23:57:10

Raglan Littlejohn27/02/2017 07:06:10
30 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Emgee, Thanks for your that. I'd forgotten that mine was a Mk2, and the Mk3 could do arcs of any radius. It was still a very nice little machine, and all the electronics still worked despite being about twentyfive years old. I did manage to connect an old TV to it to moniter the g code, but I entered it all on the machines key pad.

John.

Emgee27/02/2017 10:26:14
1650 forum posts
224 photos

Hi John, yes it's really a big bonus to use the TV output or video output when programming so you can see 10 lines of code, just viewing the line you are entering can easily lead to wrong moves that end in tears.

Emgee

Emgee09/03/2017 23:49:43
1650 forum posts
224 photos

Mike T, can you check your message box !!!!!!!

Emgee

mike T10/03/2017 00:34:21
173 forum posts
1 photos

Emgee,

You have a reply waiting in your message box

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest