Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Pillow block bearings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Brown 923/11/2015 19:14:53
75 forum posts
4 photos

I am looking to buy some pillow block bearings. There are a number of suppliers. What I am finding strange is that there is a wide difference in price for what appears to be the same product.

For instance Bearingboys sell an NP40 40mm pillow block bearing for £38.81.

Bearing Shop UK sell an NP 40 40mm pillow block bearing which appears to be identical for £12.60! Am I missing something here, as I have very little knowledge of bearings?

David

David Clark 123/11/2015 19:44:52
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Lots on EBay.

Nicholas Farr23/11/2015 21:28:33
3002 forum posts
1371 photos

Hi David, both bearings are identical in dimensions, but the ratings differ. Bearingboys are selling RHP bearings, whereas Bearing Shop UK, brand varies. RHP have been around for many years and are a merger of three well known bearing manufacturers, Ransome, Hoffman and Pollard from pre 1970's era to become Ransome Hoffman Pollard Limited and are very good quality. The various brands that Bearing shop sell could come from any where in the world, they may or may not be as good or better than RHP's but price often reflects what you are buying. You will have to decide for yourself if you need a high reliable unit for your needs, or if a cheaper version will fit the bill.

Regards Nick.

P.S. I have no connection with RHP or any bearing outlets of any company.

David Brown 924/11/2015 20:23:06
75 forum posts
4 photos

I will have to think about this, however given the 3 times price difference and that I need 4 bearings it is tempting to go for the cheaper option!

I don't suppose anyone knows anywhere in London (an actual shop/store open to the public) that sells pillow block bearings? I realise this is unlikely-I wouldn't imagine many individuals as opposed to companies would want to buy them. Everything seems to be on line these days- I guess given the rent in London especially this is hardly surprising!

David

Nicholas Farr24/11/2015 20:54:30
3002 forum posts
1371 photos

Hi David, you could try **LINK** or **LINK** or any other industrial supplier, as most of them will do cash sales, can't tell you if you'll get them any cheaper though.

Regards Nick.

Ian S C25/11/2015 09:24:35
7468 forum posts
230 photos

A pillow block can mean quite a few different things, it can be a plain bearing, or a ball bearing, a roller bearing, all fixed or self aligning. I'v seen pressed steel, cast iron, or aluminium pillow blocks. If you look at stuff designed to be made by DIYers in such as "Popular Mechanics" you'll see bearings mounted in wood, or bits of water pipe and fittings.

Ian S C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest