Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Choice of Milling Cutters

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian O'Connor23/11/2015 15:33:37
71 forum posts
18 photos

I have quite a large collection of milling cutters, both two and four flute, that are blunt or at least well past their best. I also have a few three-flute carbide cutters which I find stay sharp for much longer. I have no means of sharpening the cutters so my question is this: can I replace all my two and four flute cutters with carbide three-flute centre-cutting cutters or are there some circumstances where a two-flute or four-flute cutter would be advantageous? I am particularly keen to get rid of the two-flute cutters as I find that even with a fairly substantial mill (VMC) and everything locked down I still get appreciable vibration when using the larger sizes.

Regards, Brian

colin hawes23/11/2015 15:40:36
543 forum posts
18 photos

I have often sharpened the end of 2 flute cutters on the off-hand grinder. Colin

David Clark 123/11/2015 16:03:21
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Make sure the three flute cutters are centre cutting.

Chris Evans 623/11/2015 16:34:04
1960 forum posts

Big downside of three flute stuff is measuring the things once they are re ground. I can't justify the special micrometer required.

Emgee23/11/2015 17:18:35
2158 forum posts
265 photos

Chris

Do a full width cut and measure the slot, even with new cutters if not top quality you may find a discrepency in the width cut.

Emgee

Tim Stevens23/11/2015 18:24:29
1468 forum posts

This cut-and-measure method will only give accurate answers if you can eliminate all the flex in the machinery. One side of the cutter is working up-hill and the other side downhill, and the working part between works sideways, shoving the mill head etc all over the place. Perhaps one answer instead is to drill a slightly undersize hole, and then to ream it with the 3-blade cutter at the same position, so it cuts evenly all round. Measure this hole and I suspect you will get a more useful answer.

Not that I know anything about it, you understand.

Cheers, Tim

Chris Evans 624/11/2015 20:31:24
1960 forum posts

I know there are work arounds, to much faff when you want to measure a cutter to give a known size.

Brian O'Connor25/11/2015 09:50:03
71 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks for all your responses chaps, but I'm still not clear what disadvantages there are, if any, of ditching all my old and blunt 2 and 4 flute cutters and using only centre cutting 3-flute ones (which I won't be able to resharpen) from now on.

Brian

John Stevenson25/11/2015 10:45:08
5068 forum posts
3 photos

No disadvantages at all.

3 flute are a good compromise between two and 4 flute.

David, could you post a picture of a NON centre cutting 3 flute cutter please? Not saying they don't exist, there are always exceptions but I have never seen a non centre cutting 2 flute or 3 flute cutter.

4 flute is a different animal.

Andrew Johnston25/11/2015 11:00:58
6279 forum posts
677 photos

I use all three types, although I use 3-flute centre cutting by default. For cutting accurate slots in one pass 2-flute cutters are recommended. That's possibly less important now with carbide cutters that are much stiffer than HSS.

It also depends upon the material. For aluminium, with high chip loads, I use 2-flute or 3-flute cutters to minimise choking of the gullets. For harder materials with lower chip loads, like steel, I use 4-flute cutters to maintain the metal removal rate.

I suspect that the introduction of 3-flute centre cutting tools has been largely driven by CNC, where they are a compromise between chip removal and overall metal removal rates. Centre cutting tools also make it much easier when engaging the workpiece with CNC than non-centre cutting.

Andrew

Brian O'Connor26/11/2015 09:47:36
71 forum posts
18 photos

Thank you, John and Andrew, very reassuring. I now feel confident to raid the piggy bank and give myself a Christmas present of a range of carbide 3-flute cutters.

Brian

AlanW27/11/2015 15:33:50
83 forum posts
10 photos

Brian,

I have acquired a variety of cutters over the years, some sharp but the majority in need of refreshing. Most have clearly had the flutes sharpened in a professional environment (because the diameters are undersize). With no T & C grinder and a reluctance to spend the required time to build one, I opted for Harold Hall's solution using a bog standard bench grinder. It is probably a bit tedious to set up for grinding the secondary clearance, a job best done in 'batches' but the principle works surprisingly well. See how simple it is here:

http://www.homews.co.uk/page121.html

Alan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest