Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Use By/ Best Before Dates

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
NJH08/01/2016 11:24:53
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Michael

If this is the HP Laserjet (series) remove the cartridge and, holding the ends, shake it vigorously from side to side. You will get lots of extra copies this way and you can repeat the process several times. It is now time to order a new cartridge though - the re-manufactured ones available from the web are quite OK and will save a few bob!

Norman

NJH08/01/2016 13:33:53
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Sorry Michael - on re- reading your post I see that you say ONE of your cartridges is flagged as needing a change so I guess it's a colour printer. If you use this for photographic printing I would encourage you to investigate a continuous inflow system - you will save £££ in the long run.

Sorry I will wake up soon!

Norman

NJH08/01/2016 13:34:05
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Sorry Michael - double post !!

Maybe I should go back to bed !

N

Edited By NJH on 08/01/2016 13:35:54

Muzzer08/01/2016 15:19:40
2904 forum posts
448 photos

I have an HP Colour Laserjet (2400n) that has lasted for years and years without any reliability issues. However, I've replaced it with a new Lexmark duplex colour laser due to the thought of coughing up another £240 for a set of new toners just before it croaks finally and being left with nothing but a big hole in the wallet. The thing cost less than £200 new, as did its replacement.

The toners lasted 3000 or 5000 pages (IIRC) but would then refuse to print any more, regardless of how much toner was actually left. They were clearly programmed to prevent you from exceeding the allowable number of pages. You got a warning that you might like to order replacements and then it would stop a few days later. If just one of the toners ran out, the whole thing would refuse to play until it was replaced. Very annoying but still a fast, reliable device capable of pretty reasonable near-photo quality prints.

The ink jet printers were an worse ripoff. They were even giving them away at one point, complete with almost-empty cartridges. I threw one in the skip after just a dozen or so pages, faced with the cost of a set of new ones.

Cyril Bonnett08/01/2016 15:51:42
244 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Frankiethepill on 17/11/2015 11:16:32:

Rules is rules, guv. I'm curious what salt turns into when it goes off?

Salt of smelly!

Douglas Johnston08/01/2016 16:23:30
763 forum posts
34 photos

I have been through quite a few inkjet printers and never liked any of them. The cartridges never lasted very long and the printers never liked being left idle for a week or so.

I then bought a monochrome laser printer and would never return to an inkjet. The laser printer only cost about £40 in a sale and has been running on the original toner cartridge for about three years and shows no sign of running out. If you don't need colour printing then a cheap monochrome laser can make good financial sense .

The downside is the cost of replacement toner cartridges, but if you don't use the printer a lot then the original one can last for years and the printer can be left unused for weeks without complaining.I will probably never replace the toner, just look for a new machine when the cartridge runs out.

Doug

Roger Provins 208/01/2016 16:56:57
344 forum posts

Many manufacturer's original and replacement cartridges are chipped to limit printing but re-manufactured one can be had where all this nonsense is switched off. Also on the web there is information on ways to override even manufacturer's chipped cartridges.

I run my printers on third-party replacements and the prints are every bit as good as those done with the original genuine ones

Dinosaur Engineer08/01/2016 17:23:37
147 forum posts
4 photos

My inkjet printer runs on ASDA DIY refill inks . The cost works out at less than £2 total for a complete 5 cartridge refill. I can get more than 2 complete refills out of the £4 ASDA kit. The print quality is not quite as good as the Canon cartridges but is perfectly acceptable for non-photo use. I shall hang on to this printer for as long as I can as the later printers detect the non-propriety inks and refuse to work with them..

Michael Gilligan08/01/2016 18:55:01
19577 forum posts
995 photos
Posted by NJH on 08/01/2016 13:33:53:

Sorry Michael - on re- reading your post I see that you say ONE of your cartridges is flagged as needing a change so I guess it's a colour printer. If you use this for photographic printing I would encourage you to investigate a continuous inflow system - you will save £££ in the long run.

Thanks for the thought, Norman

This one is an 'OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910' and not used for serious photographic work.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest