Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale

Bee Keeping

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Crossman 111/07/2018 21:51:43
112 forum posts
13 photos

We have about a half acre garden surrounding our rural home and apart from the vegetable patch it is planted with stuff that attracts pollinators to counter the effects of agri-business farming of the surrounding fields. Summertime was usually full of bumbles and butterflies, but over the past few years we have noticed a steady decline in the insect population, and this year there are very few wild bees and hardly any butterflies or moths, not doubt due in part to the erratic Spring weather, but mostly due to sprayed pesticides.

So I would urge all those who are bothered about a few bees 'lodging' in their house to leave them alone unless you are highly allergic to bee venom and likely to suffer anaphylactic shock. Wasps are pollinators too and do no harm if you leave them alone, the largest wasp nest ever in our roof was about 22" diameter so it must have had quite a few occupants, and yet in 22 years of living here, only one of us has been stung once.

No pollinators--no crops--no food---not much of a life!

Trevor

Mike Poole11/07/2018 22:13:11
1541 forum posts
41 photos

She appears to be a solitary lodger at the moment, I was alerted to her presence by a rustling noise in my ceiling which I first thought was birds on the roof. I would prefer that her offspring find somewhere else to live but at the moment it is not a problem. I will seal the uninhabited sections and hope they vacate their current lodging. Will they leave home in the spring? Or do they just make their own holes next to mums?

Mike

Clive Hartland11/07/2018 22:56:03
2337 forum posts
38 photos

This year is a disaster year for beekeepers, personally I have lost 3 hives over the winter and sub zero conditions. Then, the wet weather and windy days the bees did not develop at all and only in the last few weeks have started to develop brood in the hive. There is a period of the year when there is no blossom and it is called the, 'June drop' when there is no nectar flow. Further to this I have had conversations with beekeepers talking about getting nectar from trees that flower. Only 20% of trees give nectar and the rest are wind pollinated.

Meanwhile the beekeepers that come into the bee shop tell us of swarms and dying hives with no Queen and in general, losses. The delay in development also means late swarms and then Drones are evicted from the hives so a Virgin Queen cannot mate the number of times needed (12 to 15)

I too, have noticed a very big drop in the number of insects about, butterflies and Moths Hoverflies also. I live adjacent to arable fields and they seem to spray every week for something. What I have noticed is lots of Flies?

Clive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest