By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

1935 Austin Seven Ruby ARQ

How to provide lubrication to the brake Cross-shaft.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Halford09/05/2017 12:58:34
439 forum posts
4 photos

It's best to use butt joints between the plate and original steel else you get trapped water between and a while later a little line of rust bubbles betraying the edge of your plate.

Butting needs less filler too.

john kennedy 109/05/2017 20:29:06
214 forum posts
24 photos

Geoff, had a read through your thread on the Austin forum. You're doing a brilliant job of it. Beautiful car,wish I had one but wouldn't have the guts to take it on.

Keep going. John

martyn nutland09/05/2017 20:31:13
98 forum posts
4 photos

I know it's very 'bad form' to 'muscle in' on someone's thread with a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject under discussion, so I'm not going to. Thus could Ol Baillie e-mail me on martynlnutland@gmail.com or martyn.nutland@gmail.com so I can ask him something about Austin Seven Rubies!

All the best. Martyn Nutland

Ian P09/05/2017 20:51:24
2145 forum posts
89 photos

Geoff

I've followed this thread off and on for a couple of years and every time I see the thread title keep meaning to ask what the 'ARQ' stands for?

Ian P (ex Austin 'Nippy' owner)

Brian H10/05/2017 08:19:38
1194 forum posts
87 photos

Posted by Ian Phillips on 09/05/2017 20:51:24:

Geoff

I've followed this thread off and on for a couple of years and every time I see the thread title keep meaning to ask what the 'ARQ' stands for?

Ian P (ex Austin 'Nippy' owner)

ARQ doesn't stand for anything, it's just a code that Austins used and means "Ruby (cowled radiator), low frame, no bumpers"

"http://a7ca.org/austin-seven/models/ "gives a full list

Brian

Michael Gilligan10/05/2017 09:02:13
13820 forum posts
603 photos
Posted by Brian Hutchings on 10/05/2017 08:19:38:

ARQ doesn't stand for anything, it's just a code that Austins used and means "Ruby (cowled radiator), low frame, no bumpers"

Unlikely as it may be ...

Wouldn't it be nice to think that ARQ stood for Austin Ruby Q-Car devil

**LINK**

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/buying-guide/buying-guide-the-best-high-performance-q-cars-for-keeping-a-low-profile/

MichaelG.

OuBallie10/05/2017 10:41:28
1141 forum posts
660 photos

Time to respond:

Dave,

I will be doing butt welds for all repairs as I do not like lap joins, even when jogged.

Water traps par excellence as the one on the NS door was.

Your comment was proven when I removed the lap patches from the inner rear arches. Ugly doesn't describe the rust underneath.

There are more of the same on the two front extensions that the front Mud Shields (wings) bolt onto.

John,

Thanks for your kind comment.

Martyn,

Will do.

Ian,

My interpretation: ARQ = Aren't Rubies Quaint

Brian has it spot on as all Sevens are identified by those 2-3 letters.

Mine, however, does have bumpers and Sliding Roof, it being the so called 'Luxury' model.

Would love to know how those letters where arrived at.

Time to visit local steel merchant to get some 1/1.2mm sheet steel to practice stretching, using hammer then air hammer with blunted chisel as mentioned on another site.

Geoff - Updates to follow.

OuBallie22/05/2017 14:01:22
1141 forum posts
660 photos

Been using the MIG to weld patches in the front Mud Shields (Wings) of the Seven.

Whenever I read about how hard MIG welds where in comparison to OA/TIG, I always thought 'How much harder can they be?'

'Add your favourite AngloSaxon here' HARD that's what!

Couldn't believe it when I tried a file and it just skated over the blob.

Used TIG to fill holes then ground the welds down and the difference in the quantity and type of spark produced was eye opening, with MIG winning hands down.

Photos to follow when done

Geoff - TIG from now on especially for panel work.

OuBallie03/07/2017 18:06:05
1141 forum posts
660 photos

Ruby body back in the Carport, only four months later than planned so nothing unusual then.

My DIY car trolleys made moving the body a doddle.

**LINK**

Still can't figure out how to embed video.

Geoff - Need to update with more photos

Edited By OuBallie on 03/07/2017 18:08:09

Speedy Builder503/07/2017 18:34:28
1801 forum posts
127 photos

ARQ - how about:-
A - Austin
R - Saloon
Q - 17th saloon variant

BobH Austin RN , RP, then ARQ

OuBallie11/10/2017 10:20:57
1141 forum posts
660 photos
Only two and a half months late, but now have easy access to make any repairs.

Geoff - At last.

Edit:
OH YES!
Cannot believe I've actually embedded a video at last, but should of course have tried using the desktop before now! 

Edited By OuBallie on 11/10/2017 10:23:54

OuBallie20/11/2017 16:07:30
1141 forum posts
660 photos
Updates.

A start made on the NS B-post and inner wheel arch:

Ditto on slicing up an old block to see how thick the metal is around the ports before I have go at improving the flow with the Ruby's ports.

Geoff - Last embeded not showing up in Safari or Firefox but Chrome OK

Edited By OuBallie on 20/11/2017 16:16:32

Edited By OuBallie on 20/11/2017 16:17:49

Edited By OuBallie on 20/11/2017 16:18:50

Nigel Brown 703/03/2018 16:28:23
25 forum posts

Howard earlier mentioned "Bowdenex" front brake conversion that took advantage of the axle twisting instead of allowing the twist to let the brakes off ..

Made me recall having fitted "Bowdenex" to my fairly well used 1937 one-owner Ruby saloon ( an expensive car at £15 back then !).

A panic stop one day [when a car pulled out without looking] resulted in both Ruby front wheels locking up so could be said to 'work'.

Just retrieved the broken A7 crank section from an old shed - another story for another day.

Billy Bean03/03/2018 16:44:41
174 forum posts
1 photos

Just noticed this thread - most interesting and doing a good job.

We had a local firm in Sherborne called Hamblin's which made fibreglass two seater bodies to go on a Austin 7 chassis.

BB

OuBallie19/08/2019 00:54:29
1141 forum posts
660 photos

Been rather negligent in keeping my Thread up to date, as health has been playing silly bu**ers of late.

1935 Austin Seven Ruby ARQ

Had tilted the car to where it was comfortable to work on the NS Flitch plate, the copper coloured curved area, then some 10 minutes later found myself in an Ambulance with Blues & Twos going full bore.

25 odd minutes later, I wasn’t keeping count, I was in the CCU Theatre at NNUH for an emergency stent procedure.

I have always had a morbid curiosity as to what it was like to be in an Ambulance with lights and siren going, and being fully awake found it quite interesting, and can only give a thumbs up at the way the lady Paramedic driver performed in getting the Ambulance through traffic with little discomfort to me.

Only once did she have to brake really hard, no doubt due to some moron driver.

Road noise drowned out the siren a number of times

The episode took place on the 31 July, was back home on the 6th so in recovery mode, BUT feeling quite well considering.

The number of tablets I now have to take is eye popping, so had to buy a week organiser for AM/PM doses otherwise utter chaos would have resulted, as proved when I took one lot of AM tablets PM, but now we’ll organised 🤗

Unfortunately the combination of tablets prescribed by the hospital, plus two kinds of antibiotics by my local doctor to combat a chest infection, had left me feeling like a zombie, so doctor took me off of one lot and I started feeling better, but relapsed a day ago so wondering if the remaining antibiotic and tablets combination are fighting each other or just one or two.

I've stopped all tablets for a day or so to allow stomach to settle down.

Geoff - Sitting on the ‘throne’ for ages is not pleasant.

Jeff Dayman19/08/2019 03:57:51
1596 forum posts
39 photos

I too had to spend some time in the throne room a while back in relation to leg surgery (achilles tendon) and meds afterward.

It would have been a lot easier to take if I'd had an orb and sceptre , like some other throne users....

Hope this gives you a chuckle Geoff - get well soon.

Howard Lewis20/08/2019 11:29:00
2212 forum posts
2 photos

Hope that you recover soon, Geoff!

By the sound of it, you should soon be able to run much faster, having roller or ball bearings in every joint!

Get well soon!

Howard

Neil Wyatt20/08/2019 14:51:37
16435 forum posts
685 photos
74 articles

Hi Geoff,

Hope you are on the road to a full recovery.

When the bursitis I had got infected they gave me a pair of really evil antibiotics that greatly upset my guts. I got fed up of the effects so I spent a day gorging on a diet of live, fermented products, cheese, several different types of yoghurt, kefir etc. etc. Within 24 hours the works were back to normal, plus a great excuse to pig out on some of my favourite foods. It probably helped that I'm on proton-pump suppressors for gastric reflux - I also took a double dose as that's what they do when they want to get live bacteria past someone's stomach.

You might want to try something similar to get your insides calmed down.

Neil

OuBallie23/08/2019 11:44:22
1141 forum posts
660 photos

Thanks for the good wishes and laughs.

Started taking the hospital prescribed tablets and guess what⁉️

Throne time again and feeling completely washed out 😡 Pun intended😂

This is really p*ssing me off, so have stopped the tablets for now.

Geoff - Time to call my GP for advise.

Samsaranda23/08/2019 15:37:51
776 forum posts
5 photos

Geoff, I think concentrated doses of antibiotics affect us all in the same way, I can’t tolerate any dairy so live yoghurts etc are a no no for me, I take Acidophilus Plus capsules available from Holland and Barrett, states they have 2 billion live bacteria per capsule, they do the trick for me even when I have to take antibiotics for extended periods, six weeks or more. Life would be unbearable without them, I find two capsules a day takes away the stomach problems, definitely money well spent.

Dave W

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest