Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Motorcycle General Discussion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lathejack25/04/2020 15:48:29
281 forum posts
328 photos
Posted by mgnbuk on 25/04/2020 14:41:10:

I miss the variety of quality, small capacity, motorcycles that were available in the mid '70s - compact two stroke singles, twins & triples, four stroke singles & twins and all great fun to ride at sane speeds.

Nigel B.

Yes I agree, that just about sums up how I feel. In the UK up until around the early 1980's we had a great selection of Japanese bikes to choose from, they produced a bike to suit every one. I lost interest in most new bikes from the end of the 80's when the bike shops were full of mostly race replicas or trail and US chopper style bikes with silly exaggerated styling......Yuk!

I have at times even considered buying a new Jawa 350, just for one last chance to buy a new traditionaly styled air cooled two stroke twin like those of yesteryear, but I just don't do the mileage to justify it.

Graham Stoppani26/04/2020 07:09:25
79 forum posts
13 photos

Nigel B,

I mostly work with BMW (that's why I took the bait on the GS smiley) but also Triumph and Ducatis now and then. I don't find pushing the big bikes around a problem as I'm a big lad and if you're doing it 8 hours a day your technique gets pretty good. When I was full time I was riding about 4,000 bikes a year. Now I'm retired I just help out running in bikes ready for the press fleets. I know, a tough job but someone's gotta do it!

Edited By Graham Stoppani on 26/04/2020 07:21:22

mgnbuk26/04/2020 10:39:13
792 forum posts
61 photos

I mostly work with BMW (that's why I took the bait on the GS smiley) but also Triumph and Ducatis now and then.

Ex BMW & Ducati (amongst many others) owner here.

My first BMW was an '82 R100RS (later converted to RT spec as my hands started to "go off" ). That was a "serious" purchase for me - £2800 ( two years old showing 8,800 miles form Allen Jefferies at Shipley) at a time when my salary was around £7500 a year .

51/2 years & 48K miles later I p/xed that for £2200 against an '87 K100RT (didn't get on with that one - too heavy & too many cylinders) & 10 months later chopped the K in (p/x the same as I paid for it) for one of the first Paravelever R100GS (worst build quality & poorest fuel consumption of all my BMWs). That went after less than a year aginst a new Moto Guzzi Mille GT - the only bike I have had that I regret selling - as I didn't get on with the later Oilhead BMWs.

imgp0476.jpg

I did get another R100RT from a friend some years later that I rebuilt from the ground up & ran for a few years, but found I only enjoyed riding it when it was fully loaded to go abroad - I would rarely choose to just take it out for a run if there was something else in the garage at the same time, so it went. All my old R series twins are still on the register & though the RS & GS show as having been off the road for years, the RT is still being used & racking up the miles since I sold it. Can't recall the reg. number of the K100RT, but IIRC it was bought by a dispatch rider so was probably run into the ground.

Mrs B still has the R65LS that she bought in January 1987 - 6 months old with 800 miles on the clock. She p/xed a Moto Guzzi V50 MkII for the LS. Don't really know what mileage the LS has covered now, as it is on it's second speedo and the first had a grossly under-reading odo for a couple of years until it got replaced. The original speedo didn't take kindly to being knocked when the bike took a tumble on the Stella Alpina Rally in '94. It can't be far off 100K miles now, if it hasn't already passed that.

The Ducati I owned was an ST2 - a late model, Japanese market, "grey" import in yellow. The only difference in spec of the Japanese market model was that the various warning stickers around the bike were in Japanese + a kph speedo. The first bike I was forced to sell, because riding it brought on bad tendonitis in my forearms - 4 weeks of industrial strength anit-inflammatories and wearing elbow-to-wrist support bandages after a 200 mile run wasn't really sustainable. Still miss that one.

dscn3288.jpg

I have not really had technique issues with larger bikes, just don't enjoy the experience these days.

Nigel B.

Hopper26/04/2020 12:59:47
4760 forum posts
104 photos
Posted by mgnbuk on 26/04/2020 10:39:13:

imgp0476.jpg

Beautiful looking BM there . I have an 81 RS in similar green smoke scheme -- but nowhere near as shiny and tidy. It's a great old bike but the handlebars are getting harder on my back every year. Still the best "rideable classic" out there though.

mgnbuk26/04/2020 14:02:54
792 forum posts
61 photos

I have an 81 RS in similar green smoke scheme

"Amazonic Green Metallic" was the officail BMW colour name on that '84 RT. Only made it to the UK on RTs, not RSs. My '82 RS was "Stratus Silver Metallic" with a red & white pinstripe - no digital pics of that one though.

The friend I bought it from had bought it at 1 year old & kept it for 17 years. I had said once that if he ever wanted to sell it to give me first refusal. He had used it two-up for touring extensively throughout Europe & I had thought he had maintained it well. The reality turned out to be somewhat different ! Pretty much everything was worn out & keeping it covered in a damp garage had not done it any favours either. When I stripped the brake calipers there were globules of rusty water in the brake fuid - when I asked, he said the fluid had never been changed !

The green paintwork is just about the only original finish remaining & that took a lot ( and I mean a lot ! ) of polishing to get to look like that.. Exhaust system was Keihan stainless silencers & balance pipes mated to BMW OE headers (which had to be rechromed after 1000 miles as the OE chrome burned off). Wheels & frame powered coated by Redditch Shotblasting, with the frame a satin finish as OE. New OE wiring harness, brake discs, pads, stainless hoses & replacement master cylinders all round, rechromed fork stanchions, replacement Hagon rear shocks (should have had the self-levelling Nivomats, but the cost of those was astronomical ! ) & a completely rebuilt seat with new moulded foam, gel pad & OE style cover (on the original powder coated base) by RK Leightons. The engine needed new valves , guides & piston rings to stop it smoking more than my MZ TS250/1 & I built a blasting cabinet at work & used glass beads to clean up the heads, barrels rear drive & gearbox (which need all new seals, like the rear drive). New wheel, headstock and swing arm bearings & seals + carburettors rebuilt with all new jets just about completes the list.

By the time I had finished it had cost almost exactly the 1984 UK list price, but it did ride pretty much like a new bike. Took a lot of selling for a lot less than I had in it a few years later - not much love for old Airheads at that time - the photo was taken mid-2009 for the magazine adverts to try to sell it.

handlebars are getting harder on my back every year

Too hard for my wrists by 1986 ! After two years my original RS was converted to an RT - I managed to get a Stratos Silver RT fairing kit for a reduced price when a UK main dealer got a job lot of fairing kits, swapped the RT bits onto the bike & sold the RS fairing for not a lot less than I paid for the RT kit.

Still the best "rideable classic" out there though.

As a younger friend who has one says - "Handles like it's on wobbly rails !"

BMW parts prices for the older bikes getting a bit silly these days, though - no longer a "cheap classic".

Nigel B.

Hopper26/04/2020 14:39:09
4760 forum posts
104 photos

Yes BM parts prices are extortionate these days

Luckily I sorted mine about 12 years ago when they were still affordable. Even then not cheap.

Lol at 'wobbly rails'. Few of the snowflake cast wheels run true these days probably accounts for a lot of that. But still feels sophisticated after my old Harleys and Nortons. But my old R65 was a top handling machine. Like a featherbed Norton with better suspension on our rough roads.

mgnbuk26/04/2020 16:05:42
792 forum posts
61 photos

Few of the snowflake cast wheels run true these days

Can't say I heard anything untoward here about the snowflake wheels after the recall for the early versions collapsing - my '82 bike was part of the recall & got the new, strengthened spoke, design fitted. The green RT came with the strengthened front wheel.

Can't say that I ever gelled with the small Airheads either, though Mrs B's R65LS remains the only bike I have covered over a hundred miles in an hour on - circa 1988, somewhere mid Germany, on an Autobahn. It was a very warm, breezy day - I was cooking behind the RT fairing, she was getting ragged about by the breeze on the LS in its original low bar format, so we swapped & I "upped the pace" to make up time. - "upping the pace" being holding it pinned to the stop for an hour. Can't do that now - insurance won't allow riding each other's bikes while abroad - only OK in the UK.

Nigel B.

Steviegtr20/05/2020 19:25:04
1349 forum posts
140 photos

Well got out on the motorcycle today for the 1st time this year. What a great day out we had. Found a café/ bakery open. Sat having coffee & a pasty at the side of a stream. Managed 120miles. Plenty of camera vans around.

Not that it was a problem with the speed we ride at these days.

Steve.

Michael Edwards 127/05/2020 09:33:46
56 forum posts
46 photos

Picture of my baby girl, although still in lockdown in Wales so shes not been out this year.

Made a fews odd things for her.

Axle covers were done on the 3D printer

Some Stainless bolts as replacement for Hex bolts.

Edited By Michael Edwards 1 on 27/05/2020 09:39:08

Circlip27/05/2020 10:13:15
1163 forum posts

"I miss the variety of quality, small capacity, motorcycles that were available in the mid '70s - compact two stroke singles, twins & triples, four stroke singles & twins and all great fun to ride at sane speeds. "

But that was a time when motorcycles were the mode of work transport before we became "Chocolate eaters" and soft.

Regards Ian.

Venom Clubman and Guzzi Le Mans owner.

Edited By Circlip on 27/05/2020 10:14:38

Michael Edwards 127/05/2020 10:39:51
56 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Circlip on 27/05/2020 10:13:15:

"I miss the variety of quality, small capacity, motorcycles that were available in the mid '70s - compact two stroke singles, twins & triples, four stroke singles & twins and all great fun to ride at sane speeds. "

Cant beat the smell of a 2 stroke. I miss the days when riding a 50 Fizzy was actual freedom.

Windy13/06/2020 22:49:05
790 forum posts
153 photos

Unless things change and we get a second wave of this virus Elvington Top Speed testing is on in July.

Unfortunate public are not allowed just competitors and club members.

A lot of extra expense has been added due to keeping everybody safe from contagion.

Will have to decide if I should go as at high risk due to age etc.

A refurbished drag racing venue is getting ready for reopening soon it's at Melbourne not far from Elvington.

Steviegtr13/06/2020 23:19:18
1349 forum posts
140 photos
Posted by Windy on 13/06/2020 22:49:05:

Unless things change and we get a second wave of this virus Elvington Top Speed testing is on in July.

Unfortunate public are not allowed just competitors and club members.

A lot of extra expense has been added due to keeping everybody safe from contagion.

Will have to decide if I should go as at high risk due to age etc.

A refurbished drag racing venue is getting ready for reopening soon it's at Melbourne not far from Elvington.

Use to go to the drag racing at Melbourne to support my cousin's car.

Out tomorrow on the Multistrada all being well. Run to Seaways.

Steve.

Windy12/08/2020 18:04:19
790 forum posts
153 photos

I was at the refurbished Melbourne Raceway it was busy with cars and motorcycles the future looks good the second permanent drag strip donations made it possible.

My friend who used to watch me competing when 12 years old tested his latest creation a steam jet bike.

He learnt a lot it was very impressive.

grahams last run.jpg.

Steviegtr12/08/2020 19:24:48
1349 forum posts
140 photos

Wow i would have liked to see that.

It was many years ago when i used to go. If there was any super fast stuff like funny cars etc , they would only run the eighth mile because of the dip half way along the strip.

Steve.

Windy14/08/2020 11:11:26
790 forum posts
153 photos

Back to the full size speed record attempts this weekend at Elvington it's a ticket only entrance due to the virus.

There are many speed attempts going off there some private attempts we have had the JCB tractor and electric attempts some successful others back to the drawing board.

Guy Martin is a regular he is hoping to do 300mph on a motorcycle sometime he is a hands on mechanic.

I might be a passenger in one of the unusual four wheelers blasting down runway 26 have asked the organiser and driver so ok.

Details of events contact

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest