Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Motorcycle General Discussion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Windy22/10/2019 11:54:03
787 forum posts
152 photos

For all speed record enthusiasts Bloodhound is busy this video is a bit long so about 3/4 on the turbine is tested.

There are regular updates of what is happening there might be problems seeing this link for some so try to get Bloodhound Newsletter on the web.

**LINK**

Edited By Windy on 22/10/2019 11:59:19

Windy22/10/2019 12:39:09
787 forum posts
152 photos
Posted by Windy on 22/10/2019 11:54:03:

For all speed record enthusiasts Bloodhound is busy this video is a bit long so about 3/4 on the turbine is tested.

There are regular updates of what is happening there might be problems seeing this link for some so try to get Bloodhound Newsletter on the web.

**LINK**

Edited By Windy on 22/10/2019 11:59:19

Found link wont open on Windows 7 IE but works on Firefox

Windy18/11/2019 13:00:55
787 forum posts
152 photos

If any speed enthusiast is following Bloodhounds testing here is Andy Green comments on his 628mph terminal speed run.

Hopefully next year will be the record attempt with the additional rocket assist attached.

.**LINK**

Emgee18/11/2019 15:22:32
1485 forum posts
217 photos

Thanks for posting the link, very interesting read.

Emgee

Graham Titman18/11/2019 19:28:52
82 forum posts
10 photos

Thanks very much Windy .

Windy18/11/2019 22:45:34
787 forum posts
152 photos

Has been very interesting following Bloodhound testing some of the issues found was a vibration sensor set too fine when going over a track on the desert that shut the engine down,

Braking parachute , air brakes and normal brakes being checked and sometimes modified.

A hot wire sensor system shutting the turbine down when engine and chassis got too hot.

Part of the rear wheel outrigger streamlining coming adrift.

Also finding various stability things at speed.

Being tested in a very hot climate raised issues with control systems which they did not get in the cooler UK.

It seems they were very minor problems which the team overcome.

Just waiting for the official record attempts with the rocket assist engaged a fantastic bit of engineering.

Edited By Windy on 18/11/2019 22:47:03

Edited By Windy on 18/11/2019 22:47:34

Edited By Windy on 18/11/2019 22:48:47

Michael Gilligan23/12/2019 10:11:29
15700 forum posts
684 photos

Smithsonian : **LINK**

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/cycle-zen-art-and-motorcycle-maintenance-comes-smithsonian-180973836/

MichaelG.

Gerard O'Toole23/12/2019 11:48:53
63 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks Michael,

for the link, very Interesting

Windy11/03/2020 16:24:10
787 forum posts
152 photos

Tuesday 17th March 2020 is the first Top Speed meeting at Elvington.

Apart from other machines trying for PB Graham will be testing his steam rocket machine.

This should be on a full tank last month he had a private shakedown run test at Elvington.

**LINK**

Windy17/03/2020 22:55:40
787 forum posts
152 photos

Something to show how to covert a four stroke to a two stroke a bit long but it worked.

No fancy workshop perfectionists might grimace.

**LINK**

Steviegtr17/03/2020 23:25:01
1232 forum posts
115 photos

Hey it worked. Why you would I do not know. Probably because he could.

Steve.

John Olsen18/03/2020 01:00:07
1036 forum posts
90 photos
1 articles

Turning a silk purse into a sows ear?

John

mgnbuk11/04/2020 11:09:02
766 forum posts
60 photos

Motorycling - Easter 2020 style

Nice sunny Good Friday, so out with the bike !

Remove security & dust cover - move bike to drive.

Wash down to remove storage dust that the cover didn't totally keep off.

Chamy dry.

Apply AutoGlym Enhanced Gloss Protection to all painted sufaces - wait as instructed, then buff off.

Polish all chrome & polished alloy bits with Meguires NXT metal polish.

Clean all black plastic bits with AutoGlym Black Trim cleaner.

After 7 hours of hard cleaning & polishing, admire bike before returning to garage, replace security & dust cover.

Go back in to house & sulk !

100420201214.jpg

David Noble11/04/2020 12:28:12
182 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by mgnbuk on 11/04/2020 11:09:02:

Chamy dry.

Apply AutoGlym Enhanced Gloss Protection to all painted sufaces - wait as instructed, then buff off.

After 7 hours of hard cleaning & polishing, admire bike before returning to garage, replace security & dust cover.

My sympathies.

David

Gerard O'Toole11/04/2020 12:45:53
63 forum posts
4 photos

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of the Lucas advance retard units fitted to coil ignition motorcycles in the 60's?

My unit, on a 1064 AJS needs a lot of repair. I cannot see a replacement for the AJS but I see units advertised as for BSA/Triumph etc. I wonder if the unit was a generic Lucas unit fitted to many bikes or of they are all slightly different?. Photos do show unit similar to mine but no dimensions are given

thanks

old mart11/04/2020 14:16:22
1750 forum posts
138 photos

Is that one of the Royal Enfield twins? I had heard rumors but never a picture. One thing you forgot to do was check the battery voltage.

thaiguzzi11/04/2020 16:23:25
696 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by Gerard O'Toole on 11/04/2020 12:45:53:

Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of the Lucas advance retard units fitted to coil ignition motorcycles in the 60's?

My unit, on a 1064 AJS needs a lot of repair. I cannot see a replacement for the AJS but I see units advertised as for BSA/Triumph etc. I wonder if the unit was a generic Lucas unit fitted to many bikes or of they are all slightly different?. Photos do show unit similar to mine but no dimensions are given

thanks

Try and upgrade to the later 6CA type, much much more reliable, otherwise convert to a generic electronic ignition.

If you insist on repairing the early points/AA ignitions, be aware some twins ran anti clock and others clockwise.

thaiguzzi11/04/2020 16:29:11
696 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by mgnbuk on 11/04/2020 11:09:02:

Chamy dry.

100420201214.jpg

Much as i sorta dig the new Enfield twins, i have never understood why the engineers designed this motor 180 degrees out.

It would have been easy, and so much easier on the eye to reverse the motor details on the bottom end.

So to have the "timing" and "primary" covers on the right and historically correct side.

IMO it just looks so wrong.

Anybody not familiar with what i'm on about just has to look at any Brit parallel twin, but especially the original Royal Enfield Meteors, Constellations and Interceptors. Marvelous engines visually.

Thanx, i rest my case.

mgnbuk11/04/2020 16:55:38
766 forum posts
60 photos

Is that one of the Royal Enfield twins?

Certainly is.

One of the second batch that came in last year - the first batch were pre-orders & the dealer demo bikes. I test rode one early February as soon as my local dealer got his demonstrator on the road & ordered it the same day, but it was still early April before I took delivery.

I really like it - more so than the Honda NC750S that it replaced. Nothing really wrong with the Honda, but it felt like turning a barge compared to the RE. I'm averaging around 80mpg, it uses & leaks no oil & the only "issue" in the first 12 months & 3200 miles has been a stitch coming undone on the sadde nose - cured with a warranty exchanged seat.

So to have the "timing" and "primary" covers on the right and historically correct side.

Know what you mean there TG, but I suspect that was done to differentiate the "new" twin from the "old" twins while still giving a nod in their direction. As it has a 270 degree crank (and balance shaft - very smooth unit) it doesn't sound or feel like a traditional 360 degree unit either. A very modern bike in the traditional style. Best fuel injection setup of any injected bike I have owned or ridden before - just like really well set up carbs, with no sudden or abrupt response off idle. Really well sorted in all respects - great throttle response, light clutch, short, slick gearshift, light agile handling, compliant suspension, good brakes & good build quality and all at a bargain price.

Some may want more power (it is 48hp), but Ihave found it more than adequate in all the situations I have experienced up to now.

Just want to be able to ride it now !

Nigel B

ps. Battery charged up regularly over the winter - no problems there.

Edited By mgnbuk on 11/04/2020 16:56:40

stevetee11/04/2020 18:07:16
135 forum posts
14 photos

thanks

As far as I am aware all the advance units are basically similar, with a different range of advance/ rotational direction. Some are keyed some not. One problem with them is that they wear/ get sloppy  giving a larger range of advance than when made. You can end up with a bike thats fine on idle, knocks like mad at speed, OR a bike that runs Ok but won't pick up from idle or start well. A few bolbs of weld in the window that the limit pin fits in resolved that one. The 6CA set up is better as both sets of points can be timed separately , the old 4CA 's once the timing is OK on #1 to get #2 correct means altering the points gap. The clockwise /anti issue needs to be resolved . Triumph and BSA twins clockwise I'm pretty sure . AJS?

Edited By stevetee on 11/04/2020 18:08:46

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest