By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

08 Shunter in 2 1/2" Gauge

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simeon Jackson05/10/2015 16:56:34
4 forum posts

I am in the process of designing and building a Class 08 shunter in 2 1/2" gauge and plan to drive this via an electric motor and chain drive to the main axle, however I am having trouble finding suitable chains and sprocket gears as I'm not entirely sure what I need to be looking for. Does anyone have any advice as to where to buy this sort of thing or is it easier to try to make one from scratch?

JasonB05/10/2015 17:18:14
16055 forum posts
1687 photos
1 articles

You could have a look at HPC or Madler (they sell via Amazon).

Some of the sites dealing with Robotiocs are also worth a look

Edited By JasonB on 05/10/2015 17:18:58

Bazyle05/10/2015 17:28:13
4688 forum posts
186 photos

You might find small toothed belt systems used in printers and scanners suitable. What about Meccano chain drive. It was originally used in player pianos so capable of long tem operation. Is it too late to move to individual axle motors and fears like some of the 5in locos?

John Baguley05/10/2015 18:58:39
424 forum posts
46 photos

HI Simeon,

Following Jason's suggestion have a look at Technobots website. They sell small chain and sprockets. They also have a sister company with a greater range.

http://www.technobotsonline.com/sprockets-and-chain.html

John

IanT05/10/2015 22:22:31
1299 forum posts
132 photos

Hi Simeon,

I think 6mm chain (and the matching sprockets) will probably suit your needs. As John B states - they can be purchased at Technobots, provided the available sprocket diameters/tooth sizes are suitable for your locos needs.

A year or so ago - I was looking for a source of small (3mm) chain for a 2.5" loco project but I couldn't find anything at the right price (at least in that size). In my case, the chain had to be quite small for cosmetic reasons (it was for a Sentinel and they were visible) and I finally used a Delrin chain (from Micromotion). This was just about OK for a small G3 shunting loco but it wouldn't work for a N2.5GA type passenger hauler.

If you can find a suitable small chain (possibly from a motorcycle timing chain?) then you could try to make your own matching sprockets. I believe this is do'able and you will find some good starting pointers for any such work here:

**LINK**

Regards,

IanT

Simeon Jackson05/10/2015 22:25:41
4 forum posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I reckon the 6mm chain and sprockets will do the job nicely. Its now just a case of finishing designing things with these in mind.

Ian S C06/10/2015 12:10:07
7444 forum posts
230 photos

It's quite possible to make a sprocket using a drill of suitable size, then a file to dress the tips of the teeth, done a few of them that way.

Ian S C

duncan webster06/10/2015 12:36:59
2204 forum posts
32 photos

HPC do 4mm chain and sprockets at not ridiculous prices. I managed to find a local gear cutter man who made me some sprockets cheaper than I could buy them, but so far back in time that I can't remember his name. I too have made sprockets my drilling holes on apitch circle then filing till the chain ran smoothly. You need something good on the radio as it takes a long time, but is very satisfying when it works.

Edited By duncan webster on 06/10/2015 12:38:25

Ian S C07/10/2015 11:22:16
7444 forum posts
230 photos

I got some small chain from old photo copiers, there's two sizes, probably imperial, about 3/16", and 1/4"(I think).

Ian S C

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest