Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

elliott 00 omnimill

pulley sizes for vertical head

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Manny lambert16/09/2015 10:50:53
25 forum posts

I am currently renovating an elliott 00, I am looking for the original pulley sizes for the vertical head fitted with a .75hp motor as factory fitted. the manual doesnt mention this?? If any one wants parts, i will be giving them away for free. And any advice on replacing the bearings on the vertical head. Any help would be use full. thanks

Mark C16/09/2015 13:24:38
707 forum posts
1 photos

Manny, I have sent you a message!

Mark

Cabeng16/09/2015 14:17:26
86 forum posts
59 photos

Manny: I got my Omnimill 20 years ago, and refurbished it 15 years ago, when it had to be taken to pieces to relocate it. Then last year (or maybe the year before...or the one before that !) I had the table, sub table and knee slides re-ground and the gibs re-surtfaced with something similar to Turcite. This work was done by Brian Caddy in Nuneaton (http://www.slidewayservices.co.uk) - recommended.

I replaced the vertical head bearings on my machine only a couple of months ago. Not difficult if you want to use 'ordinary' bearings, you can get away with fairly crude methods of pulling off the old ones and installing the new ones. But the Elliott specification for the nose bearings is that they should be 'matched for back-to-back installation' - unfortunately, when you include that phrase in your purchasing requirements, the bearing price goes up by a factor of 3! £150 for a matched pair, so you wouldn't want to install those using a hammer and drift!

That means rigging up a better system, and making a few collars, tubes and spacers to ensure that that the races are loaded correctly and evenly during installation on the spindle, and whilst installing the spindle into the quill. I had to make the necessary bits, so if you live in the north west of England, you would be welcome to borrow them.

The top bearing is a single deep groove ball race, about £25 for a good quality one.

Mark C16/09/2015 16:02:51
707 forum posts
1 photos

"Matched pair", get them swapped for a pair of taper rollers and away you go - that was what I did and it works a treat! Search through my posting history for Elliot Omnimil and you will find the drawings detailing the mods.

Mark

mick vann22/11/2015 18:29:37
11 forum posts

Hi Cabeng,

I would be interested in borrowing you bearing installation tools where are you located, I am in Leeds, I already have brought the bearings unfortunately before reading this thread else I would have upgraded to taper rollers. My head is stripped and ready for the bearing installtion.

I am having to make a new bearing preload nut as the original one had come loose and had been spinning on the shaft and worn away the threads. I dont suppose anyone has the original internal thread size to hand do they ? as I am guessing a little at the moment.

Regards Mick

Mark C22/11/2015 19:30:54
707 forum posts
1 photos

Mick,

I have a detailed model of the spindle etc I made when I converted to taper bearings. You are welcome to the model and the drawing if you contact me with an email address so I can send them. When I say detailed, I was bored and modeled the thread form in detail.......

Mark

Mark C22/11/2015 19:50:48
707 forum posts
1 photos

I just measured the model and the thread is 1 & 3/8 by 16 tpi whit form (55 degree). You might need to fiddle the thread diameter a little depending on the exact form you cut......

Mark

mick vann24/11/2015 12:10:09
11 forum posts

Thanks Mark for the info, I will have a go at cutting the thread, I am not bad at making external threads however not realy done internals so do not realy know how much metal to leave for the threads for them to mate to the spindle threads.

Mark C24/11/2015 12:16:25
707 forum posts
1 photos

I can't remember exactly what the nut looks like but if you measure it up (don't worry about the thread details/internal diameter) and send me a sketch I will draw it up properly and send you a "proper" drawing showing what is needed.

Mark

Ian S C25/11/2015 10:16:37
7468 forum posts
230 photos

When I'm cutting an internal thread I make what ever a few mm longer than finish size, and that few mm I bore to the outside diameter of the male thread, the main bore of the internal thread should be a bit tight for the root diameter. Now just take time , and as you near the outer diameter start trying the thread for fit. Don't know that you can see it, but there is a 32 tpi x about 1 1/2" thread inside the L/H end of the hot cap for a Stirling Engine. Material 316 stainless steel.

Ian S CDisplacer hot end,

Mark C25/11/2015 10:18:16
707 forum posts
1 photos

Ian, that is a damn good idea!

Mark

Ian S C26/11/2015 09:33:20
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Mark, don't blame me if it doesn't work out, I taught myself to thread cut, then read the instructions, they were near enough, the threads were spot on(you'v got to fluke it now and then).

Ian S C

mick vann10/12/2015 22:44:31
11 forum posts

Thanks Ian for the advice on threading, I will give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Mick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest