Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Weight and transportability of a Myford lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin perman08/01/2020 20:54:07
1859 forum posts
78 photos

For most of my working life I've had the use of a transit sized company van, service engineer, and with it I moved both my lathe, a Machine Mart CL500M and a largish round column Mill\Drill, and a mandraulic engine hoist. In both cases they were loaded into the van with a forklift but when I got them home I unloaded them with the hoist and lifted them onto their stands by myself, I did not dismantle the lathe and found the C of G for lifting by moving the traverse and tailstock to balance it and the mill had its head lowered to its lowest position to make it easier to handle, I now have a a large estate but would never put either inside for fear of damaging the car interior and I certainly would not use the tie down points as they are not rated to retain either of my machines, my means of moving them now would be my twin axle trailer.

When tieing down do not place a strap of the bed as the lathe will still be able to slide, use two straps at each end so that it cant move at all, four point anchorage.

Martin P

Lee Rogers27/01/2020 13:12:45
70 forum posts

Give some thought to what the lathe sits on in your car. My Saabs boot has had 3 Drummonds in it at once but only after I had fitted a 3/4 inch ply liner in. There was sill one lathe in there when I got a puncture, I'm sure you get the picture. Parked on the high street heaving a lathe around and changing the wheel. lucky not to get arrested for the swearing.

Martin Kyte27/01/2020 14:06:02
2016 forum posts
36 photos

Anyone know what the form factor is for weight variation according to age. Stuff has definitely got heavier as I have got older. It's definitely non linear as eventually you cannot lift anything. Fortunately not there yet but stuff I wouldn't have blinked at years ago definitely makes me grunt now.

regards Martin

Nick Clarke 327/01/2020 14:59:58
855 forum posts
28 photos

Perhaps look at a graph of half life or capacitor discharge?laugh

Howard Lewis27/01/2020 16:02:03
3538 forum posts
2 photos

Martin K is definitely right!

Once I could lift 50 + Kg and move it around. Now turning around with such a load is difficult.

Once upon a time, two of us could move a ML7 , coping with the offset weight of the motor, and positioning the saddle and tailstock to improve the balance as much as possible. But I was twenty five years younger then!

Now, the engine crane comes into its own. And singlehandedly moving the mini lathe into or out of the car is nearing impossible, certainly in the difficult class of activity.

Ah! The joys of youth, or even middle age.

Howard

larry phelan 127/01/2020 16:13:37
806 forum posts
14 photos

Rod,, they don't make men like that anymore !!

Bill Davies 227/01/2020 16:16:33
197 forum posts
11 photos

I moved a Britannia 14 with the bed across the back seat of a car, not an estate. The legs headstock and tailstock are pretty light, but the bed is heavy. I did it on my own, but that was 30 years ago!

Bill

larry phelan 127/01/2020 16:22:03
806 forum posts
14 photos

A garage/engine crane is very hard to beat for that kind of work.

They are quite cheap and you will wonder how you ever got along with one.

You can move almost anything with one, safely.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest